[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Techno-skeptics’ objection growing louder
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 6
File: 2S3B41711447901471.jpg (242 KB, 1484x984) Image search: [Google]
2S3B41711447901471.jpg
242 KB, 1484x984
https://www.washingtonpost.com/classic-apps/techno-skeptics-objection-growing-louder/2015/12/26/e83cf658-617a-11e5-8e9e-dce8a2a2a679_story.html
>>
>>52093087
Pastebin or gtfo
>>
> criticizes tech

> owns an iPhone
>>
>>52093087
>washingtonpost
>>
>>52093087
this is not a link sharing board for news posts
>>
>>52093087

archive link?
>>
Tldr

Old hippies upset the new Internet doesn't include them

Wish the internet was a sort of co-op mesh network

Wish there was a social network where they could share ideas

Don't want to build it themselves

Drum circles and iPhones with broken screens
>>
Anita Sarkeesian at age 40
>>
Why does this bitch get a full article written about her whining? Journalism is fucking dead.
>>
i agree with a large part of that.

why it fails is that most of the people who join these movements use the very products and services theyre rebelling against.

>>52093201
no thats not it at all actually
>>
File: asdf.jpg (27 KB, 247x300) Image search: [Google]
asdf.jpg
27 KB, 247x300
>>52093087
Didn't read that long piece of shit, but smartphones are pretty stupid.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, but smartphones are a minor incremental user interface improvement.

The real advancements are in the internet and cloud prevalence. Because of this, consumers don't need to upgrade their smartphones, or even own any sort of smartphone. Laptops suffice in almost every case except for retard developers and trivial apps like Evan Spiegel with snapchat.

Smartphone wars, and all that shit are just Applel, googlel, samdung, and macroshit trying to get your dollarydoos when you've had all the functionality for years.

>3d touch
>pedometer in my fucking phone
>software 'differentiation'
Are you seriously trying to tell me people pay $1000 to get this crap? This is a marketing miracle, I'm literally astounded
>>
>>52093343
>no thats not it at all actually
I don't know what you think it is, but I would say that it is it. If a person claims that they're against the botnet but then claims that their phone is too addictive to put down, I'm calling bullshit. Most of the people mentioned probably don't understand technology and seem to equate it to advertising and surveillance. I doubt they even know who RMS is.
>>
wonder if she knows about ipfs?

https://ipfs.io/
>>
>>52093502
It's doubtful. These seem to be tertiaries that don't like the "bad side of technology" and otherwise know little at all.
>>
/g/ is full of techno-skeptics
>>
>>52093087
> She’s not paranoid, but she keeps duct tape over the camera lens on her laptop computer — because, as everyone knows, these gadgets can be taken over by nefarious agents of all kinds.
so she's retarded
computers dont just magically get viruses
the days of consumer infections without interaction are long gone.
>>
File: 83_IggyPop_L091105.jpg (44 KB, 300x184) Image search: [Google]
83_IggyPop_L091105.jpg
44 KB, 300x184
>>52093087
Techno does suck. It's just disco with another name, but disco sucks no matter what you call it. Rock will always be superior, disco faggots. If this makes me a techno-skeptic, I'm proud to call myself one.
>>
>>52093502
is IPFS a safe space?
>>
>>52093587
FUCK OFF ROCKAROLLA BITCH CUNT!!!!!!
TECHNO WILL BLOW YOUR BASSBINS OFF MOTHERFUCKA
TECHNO 4 LIFE!!!!!!!!!
>>
>>52093587
disco rules.

go fuck yourself.
>>
/g/ has become a movement among normalfags
>>
>>52093637
That's doubtful. Even though /g/ is retarded, they're still more knowledgeable than these people on average.
>>
>>52093475
things now are a cyberpunk dystopia. its a point completely lost on anyone born after 93 because they didnt live through it. so its interpreted as old hippies crying.

for example 'features' in a lot of software now used to be considered malware not long ago. thats what theyre saying with some sjw mixed in.

as i said the ironic part is theyre part of the problem while pointing out the problem.
>>
>>52093139
>>52093106
http://pastebin.com/A5kZxctq
>>
>>52093465
I disagree. The smartphone's advantage is that it does 80%+ of what consumers do with PCs, but can go where PCs can't go. It can be with them *all the time*. Laptops are great but there are limits to where and how they can be used, and there's value in being able to pull up your email or wikipedia or whatever in damn near any situation.

Also, we don't yet have the infrastructure to support smartphones being zero-local all-cloud thin clients quite yet. We're going to need ubiquitous gigabit cell networks and cell chips that take a tiny fraction of the power that our current chips do before that's practical.
>>
>>52093117
they won't let you into the communist party without an iphone
>>
>>52093343
Why it fails is that people use things they complain about the whole time.

This is for you, Dad: when you don't like the data collecting of facebook, google, amazon and microsoft, JUST DON'T FUCKING USE THEM.
was it so hard?
>>
>>52093811
>JUST DON'T FUCKING USE THEM. was it so hard?

it is hard when they go out of their way to booby-trap the web with javascript and social network icons that they use to spy on you.

and don't say "lol just block it", it's not reasonable to expect people to go out of their way to do that.
>>
>>52094093
Fanboy's annoyance block list works great. I haven't seen a facebook/twitter/etc button in years.
>>
>She wasn’t home-schooled, she was “unschooled.” Her parents in Athens, Ga., put her in charge of her education. At age 13, she created her own newspaper with an environmentalist bent. She burned with a sense of right and wrong. “I was a serious child,” she says, persuasively.

I rolled my eyes so hard that I gave myself a migraine.
>>
File: moto.png (324 KB, 1104x368) Image search: [Google]
moto.png
324 KB, 1104x368
>>52093465
>>52093764
What can a new flagship phone actually do that this one can't for literally 1/100th of the price?
>>
>>52093087
>They dream of a co-op model: people dealing directly with one another without having to go through a data-sucking corporate hub.

So they want P2P?

Or do they want no ISP and magic fiber that goes directly to the person you want from your house?
>>
I think the article writer is more retarded than she is. I hope so at least, because being angry about constant new phone models and having a broken screen in the same thought is ridiculous. It's like screaming 'THEY BROKE HER SCREEN!"
>>
>>52093307

the only reason anyone has even heard of her is because she's married to the guy who made this
>>
>>52095079
The irony is that the backbone of the internet isn't owned by ISPs so their dream is already a reality.
>>
>>52094580
Unlock with my fingerprint. Use trusted hardware security to allow me to pay with my credit card.
>>
>>52093087
Every comment in this thread is plain dumb. I've expected that by now.

Goodbye for good.
>>
>>52096252
See you next week fag smoker
>>
>>52093587
Dad go to bed.
>>
>>52094580
I used to think the same, but i just got gifted a note5 from my employer, and its a marvel. STUNNING pics, 4gb of ram lets me recall apps and webpages with no load time, great processor and screen make videos and web pabes more enjoyable to view than on my 1440p computer. The thing lasts over a day and recharges in like half an hour. Honestly if i was more normie I wouldnt even need a computer, as you could do ms office on it with a blu tooth keyboard.

Sure, it isnt absolutley needed but $600 really isnt a huge expense if you are into the better experience (unless you are poor). Do you go around shitting on people for not using 90s cathode tvs since they technically do the same thing?
>>
>>52093583
Anyone can easily get access to her camera. People are usually easy to trick and phones give away tons of information. It is easy to use a man in the middle attack when she is home and think she is automatically connected to her home network. And so on.

Taping it is only prudent, it is easy to take control of it.
>>
>>52093087
>Astra Taylor’s iPhone has a cracked screen. She has bandaged it with clear packing tape and plans to use the phone until it disintegrates. She objects to the planned obsolescence of today’s gadgetry, and to the way the big tech companies pressure customers to upgrade.

Just get a dumbphone for 20 bucks cunt.

>buying apple
>ever
>>
I was never into the idea that we somehow advanced too fast for our technology or we used it wrong, at least the article doesn't fall far into that. A lot of early computing pioneers had pretty good mindsets and outlooks, even if they weren't very idealistic. It's where somewhere it became more like shiny toys a lot of the shit started to come in quickly. But the underlying technology is still there and advancing, so there's still value.
>>
>>52094580
You are the kind of users that app developers hate. You buy the shittiest phone you possible then bitch about how apps run like shit on your shitty phone.
>>
It's not her fault for dropping her stuff, it's the manufacturers fault somehow.
>>
>>52097194
>i just got gifted a note5 from my employer
Sucking dicks really paid off in the long run, huh?
>>
>>52098162
When you work for samsung, what else would they give you?
>>
>>52098311
A tissue and some mouthwash?
>>
>>52097870
>>52098343
A for effort I suppose.
>>
What do you expect from the Jews? Of course, garbage!
>>
File: 1436853965169.png (211 KB, 316x382) Image search: [Google]
1436853965169.png
211 KB, 316x382
> Linux will become normie infested in your lifetime
>>
>>52093087
>digital dissenter
>iphone
yeah, stopped reading there
>>
>>52097194
>great processor and screen make videos and web pabes more enjoyable to view than on my 1440p computer

You either have the most shitty desktop setup and monitor you can get, or you're talking out of your ass. No phone even remotely compares to an actual WQHD display.
>>
>>52097866
>I was never into the idea that we somehow advanced too fast for our technology

If anything we regressed. RIP space colonization, it'll be another hundred years or more.
>>
>>52093681
>things now are a cyberpunk dystopia. its a point completely lost on anyone born after 93 because they didnt live through it. so its interpreted as old hippies crying.
>for example 'features' in a lot of software now used to be considered malware not long ago. thats what theyre saying with some sjw mixed in.
You speak as though you have lived through this process. Care to elaborate? At least what features you're referring to that used to be considered malware.
>>
>>52093307
>Look, anon cannot read an entire atricle and jump to biggoted claims, ultimatley looking more foolish than before.

You are impressive.

>>52093531
That seems to be the quality I noticed in the article. BAsically, it say 'things are bad, people want to change them', but it ignores any efforts to build alternatives.
>>
Dumbasses never heard of a phone case
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.