[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is a game ROM literally a copy of all the contents of a cartridge
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (3 MB, 3860x2320) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3 MB, 3860x2320
Is a game ROM literally a copy of all the contents of a cartridge or equivalent?
>>
It's a new, rewritten product
>>
In the case of the N64, I think it is the contents of the ROM chip that holds the actual game data. I think there is at least one more chip sometimes present that holds game saves because the N64 emulator saves certain save types as .eeprom
>>
It might be slightly modified to be able to be ran on other hardware.
>>
>>52092309
Generally yea, but some cartridges may include additional hardware (such as extra processors or GBC/GBA pokemon's real time clock). If extra hardware is on the cartridge it usually don't be represented in the ROM; it's instead up the emulator to support such games most of the time.
>>
>>52092357
I've been looking into modifying N64 ROMS. Why does it seem so impossible? Specifically, I've been wondering if it's possible to create a new track for Mario Kart 64.
>>
>>52092447

It's possible. Have you ever heard of Star Road, the Mario 64 hack?
>>
>>52092447
It may sound simple but if you actually think Bout what you're proposing you'll see its really not. You've got a binary dump with no source code and no documentation, and you're going to modify and add to that?
>>
Yes, a ROM file is literally a dump of the ROM (read-only-memory) of the cartridge.

>>52092370
False

>>52092357
Save data is stored in a re-writable flash chip separate from the ROM.

>>52092447
Possible yes, but extremely difficult. Modifying tilesets and dialog is common however, look into Lunar Magic (a level editor for Super Mario World).
>>
>>52092447

Just in case you haven't. You really should check it out with your question.

https://sites.google.com/site/supermario64starroad/home/finished-hacks
>>
>>52092482
>>52092524
Instead of asking a ton more questions, can you recommend some good literature for me to read about this (specifically, the modification of N64 roms)?
>>
>>52092582
no
>>
>>52092370
Fuck off tripfag
>>
>>52092524
>False
Ever heard of drm? Anti-cheat protection?
>>
>>52092582

Dumb fuck. Look here >>52092545

Or

https://sites.google.com/site/supermario64starroad/home/sm64-documents
>>
>>52092634
What does that have to do with running a rom on other hardware?
>>
>>52092309
provided it was dumped correctly, yes
>>
>>52092663
A lot. Can you run ps2 games on an original disk on a pc?
>>
>>52092309
thing with nintendo games is they often ran on nip magic pulling everything together. slightest change to anything usually results in bugs in the weirdest places because some nip decided to save memory there
>>
>>52092690
No because the PC is very different to the PS2. That falls within the realm of emulation, not romhacking.
>>
>>52092690

Not him but are you asking if you can play real PS2 games on a ps2 emulator? I'm pretty sure I've done it before unless I've lost my mind.
>>
>>52092447
Just make a clone game. Easier, faster and future-proof.
>>
>>52092690
>Can you run ps2 games on an original disk on a pc?
of course you can

it's also a lot worse than just running off an iso file
>>
>>52092447
The N64 was notoriously difficult to work with even for developers with lots of documentation.

Like, intentionally obtuse. Something about preventing the average Joe developer from making a mediocre game. Obviously it backfired.

So romhacking is likewise pretty tough. SM64 and Zelda are only so well known internally because of the TAS communities.
Good fucking luck working with any other game.
>>
Can the textures, sounds, models, etc. be extracted from N64 roms?
>>
>>52092690
You can literally take any retail PS2 disk, stick it into your PC's drive and boot up the game in the emulator.

>>52093152
Yes. How do you think texture mods are made?
>>
>>52093152
Extracted is fucking easy, because you can just rip it from the emulator using directx or opengl.

Putting back in is only marginally harder.
>>
>>52092370
>>52092634
>>52092690
>average tripfag
>>
>>52092309
a game rom is a game rom
it's the same bits in the same place, doesn't really matter where it is
>>
>>52093152
>>52093166
I enjoyed doing this with Starfox 64 to hear all of the unused voiceclips. Played through it about 10,000 times over the years and was quite strange to hear them after having played through it that many times.
>>
File: Nicola mas.jpg (32 KB, 511x288) Image search: [Google]
Nicola mas.jpg
32 KB, 511x288
Anyone remember the Nicholas Cage majoras mask mod?
>>
>>52092370
very edgy trip
>>
>>52092663
Some older games, let's say Earthbound for example, had checks in them to detect if the hardware of the cartridge it's playing on matched the original. If it detected that something was off it would increase the difficulty of the game and crash in the final boss battle. These types of things were common on SNES, then the following generations had this stuff happen with increasing frequency but those were disc systems usually.

So yes, people did frequently modify roms to make it play back properly on their Chinese made game copiers. BBS scene groups frequently made patches to solve these types of issues. People also did it to make them run properly on old emulators, but that's another story...
>>
>>52095018
That is scary!
>>
>>52092634
Idiot
>>
>>52092690
Yea.. a ps2 CD is the same as the ps2rom.iso. it's literally identical top the disk. All my ps2 games are done by myself I rent games & copy them
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.