[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why bother with Arch?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 1
I don't see how Arch appeals to anyone when Gentoo gives you actual choice (like whether you want systemd), can be more bleeding edge if that is what makes you hard (I get git updates for my ncmpcpp), and is more customizable (use flags).

What am I missing? Why do people choose Arch instead of going the full distance and using gentoo?
>>
>>52083321
Architect
>>
install lfs
>>
>>52083321
Why bother with Linux?
I don't see how Linux appeals to anyone when you can just use Windows and it just works.
>>
>>52083334
Windows isn't for producers, anon.
>>
>>52083321
no sane person wants to compile 24/7
>>
>>52083360
I have a cron job that sets off at night, so a non-issue. On top of that, most compiles only take a few seconds for me anyways, unless it is Firefox, WebKit, or libreoffice.

If you can't stand 30 minutes of compiling in the background every few week, then sure, don't use gentoo.
>>
>>52083332
Is this just a fancy installer? Why is this important?
>>
>>52083418
It makes it significantly easier to install Arch
>>
>>52083458
Installing is a one off thing, and hell, installing gentoo isn't even that hard, there is no way arch is hard to install either. To install gentoo:
untar base system
change locale
change timezone

You are now done, install any packages you like.
>>
>>52083321
becouse modern IT fags dont know how to install gentoo.
>>
>>52083321
Same argument that the archfags have about using installer scripts or Manjaro or Antergos.
That's the dichotomy of arch. It's stilla compromise, and all other operating systems are compromises. It's just the question, "how far you want to go with it?"
>>
>>52083458
No, it's not. It just promotes fucking laziness.
>>
>>52083321
I really like Gentoo, but Arch's installation is easier, and it's good for people who are unlikely to utilize the tools that Gentoo gives you. It also has a huge repository which makes things much less painful.
>>
>>52083548
Gentoos repos are pretty big. I mean, hell, it still has aaquake. There is also layman (or that new system the introduced) for the few things you can't get (mostly the java, steam, and gameplay overlays).
>>
>>52083321
why use gentoo when I can just use linuxfromscratch and download nearly every package from git?
>>
>>52084028
Because auto-updates and comprehensive dependency resolution that will even check compile time flags for consistency.
>>
>>52083321
Gentoo is phenomenal. I dual boot both but I prefer Arch for a new machine since:
- Quicker to install/set-up
- Quicker to update

emerge -Dun world can take forever.
>>
>>52083543
So, everyone shouldn't use installers just for the sake of doing it the hard way?
>>
>>52083334
Windows doesn't work anon. GNU/Linux don't always work too. Difference is GNU/Linux developers are fixing things. Meanwhile microsoft doesn't give a fuck. If you think windows is better, you're retarded.
>>
>>52084165
Agreed. Expect to leave your computer for a few hours if you want to change your system profile, or emerge something like xorg.
>>
I picked arch because I wanted something to build from the bottom up, no endless compiling and I kept being redirected to the arch wiki for technichal linux questions.
>>
>>52083395
Exactly, that's why I use Arch
>>
>>52084274
Just stick PORTAGE_NICENESS=19, no need to leave computer.
>>
>>52084437
aw, that's nice
>>
>>52084437
And expect a new version of the package to be released by the time it's finished compiling.
>>
>>52084720
Oh man, that 15% of CPU browsing 4chan is taking away from emerge sure slows it down.

Wait, no, that is retarded.
>>
>>52083321
better documentation
>>
>>52084925
I used to agree, but ever since the systemd switch, the docs have been downhill. The gentoo docs are still as good as they have ever been, which is on par with the old arch docs.
>>
>>52083321
>Implying you cannot go systemdless in Arch
Why bother with gentoo, if I am not a NEET?
>>
>>52084951
I haven't run into any issues with the docs.

>>52083321
Also, systemd has yet to be an issue for me. I know the community hates it because it doesn't follow the Unix philosophy, but I haven't had an issue with it. If I developed more or was more paranoid, I would bother. Otherwise, I don't see the point. If I want to compile something, I can use makepkg. I know that some of the tools in Gentoo are better for customization, and maybe I would like that for a lager server, but a desktop doesn't need that much.
>>
>>52085834
I wasn't saying that systemd was bad (I personally don't like it, but that is besides the point), just that gentoo both officially supports systemd, and openrc.
>>
>>52085984
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/OpenRC
It's available through the AUR
>>
>>52083321
Mother fuck, have you tried compiling a web browser? Or network manager?
It gets extremely irritating after a while, it's not hard to understand arch's appeal after using Gentoo.
>>
>>52086145
>have you tried compiling
>running gentoo
Well no shit I have, I already addressed this in other responses.
>>
>>52086083
>official support
>AUR
Yeah no thanks, easier to just USE="-systemd"
>>
i really like gentoo because of USE flags, but when I emerged cinnamon and tried to unmerge it, it fucked my shit up (albeit not too much) and now my package count is 777 and I have no way to delete useless programs
also
>tfw official gentoo iso won't load on ur chromebook and so you have to chroot from some other one i u want install
S T R U G G L E
>>
>using Gentoo ISO to install Gentoo
there's your problem
>>
>>52086255
Then it shouldn't be hard to see the appeal of arch.
My desktop makes too much noice when compiling to have it running at night. Occasionally I want just to quickly install something without waiting.
>>
>gentoo doesn't have nodm
why?
also, that open rc slowness is killling me
systemd fires up at 3 secs
unrelated, how do you find if your cpu has a special MTUNE or MARCH
also, what is difference between both?
>>
>>52086399
you use danm small linux or something?
actually, smallest linux fit to install gentoo ?
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.