[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tablet or laptop?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 6
File: meme vs meme.jpg (48 KB, 630x328) Image search: [Google]
meme vs meme.jpg
48 KB, 630x328
What would you rather buy for uni?

I'm currently in uni and i have a shitty laptop, which i basically use for word, shitposting, watching movies, some ga.y.ming etc.

A tablet would be great to read some books on (im not going to pay 300$ for a book), seeing that reading books on my shitty laptop is a pain in the ass and bringing my laptop to classes instead of the phyisical copy of the book is an even bigger pain in the ass.

I dont have enough money for both, so either a nice laptop (was thinking about the 13" rmbp) or a nice tablet, what whould you /g/entoomen recommend?
>>
Tables is for moms who cant into technology
Get a thinkpad you fucking idiot
>>
>>52082520
did you even read my post?

im not buying an ipad to play candy crush, i'd buy one to read uni books...

>thinkpad
an thinkpad x costs as much as a retina, and i'd rather get a retina than a memepad for the same price

>x220
no
>t420
no
>>
>>52082554
>x220
no
>t420
no

Then kindly go fuck yourself.
>>
>>52082565
>stop don't liking what I like
>>
>>52082520
>literally recommending ThickBads
KEK
>>
>>52082575
That's a weak kek m8.
I expected at least a top one.
>>
>>52082520
>>52082565

you know that there are other things, not only thinkpads, right?
>>
>>52082609
no. there's thinkpads and the rest
>>
>uni

How about you call it what it is and stop trying to make yourself sound more important? If you call college "university" in real conversation, then fucking kill yourself. You must be 18+ to post on this site anyway, fucker.
>>
>>52082627
i go to university in europe, it is called this way here, also precisely i am studying medicine, so i don't have to make myself feel important
>>
>>52082697
lol
>>
>>52082627
It's called university outside of America you pleb
>>
>>52082775
apparently he is too ignorant to know this, despite going to his meme college
>>
>>52082520
Thinkpads have been shit since at least 2009. My T420 was shit. It broke a hinge after being dropped three feet onto a hardwood floor. /g/ circlejerks over them to no end because they're square and black. That's it.

My 2012 MBA survived drops like that several times with only dents, and I'm currently typing on my 2015 rMBP.

>>52082510
If you've got a desktop to do heavy lifting at home, then a tablet would be OK for your use case. Just remember that you will probably want a keyboard for real work.
>>
>>52082627
wew. different dialects exist friend.

"uni" is common here.
If you said "school" or "college" it'd mean something else.
>>
File: 1421347900706.jpg (34 KB, 500x354) Image search: [Google]
1421347900706.jpg
34 KB, 500x354
>>52082510

tablet is for fags
apple is for fags
over 4" smartphones is for fags

chose wisely don't be a fag
>>
>>52082697
Then why did you mention that you're studying medicine?
>>
>>52083038
Hardwood floors will kill almost anything.
>>
>>52082627
College in this country is somewhere 16-18 year olds go, either to get into uni or to study meme courses.
>>
>>52083059
Not my apple fagbook, apparently. It fucked up my T420, though.

I also dropped that same macbook onto tiled bathroom floor, and although it got a dent at the corner, it was alright.
>>
File: Jordan_does_not_agree.jpg (434 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
Jordan_does_not_agree.jpg
434 KB, 1600x1200
>>52082510
>Buying an Apple device

>Ever
>>
>>52082510
>>52082510
I use an X220 in uni. I see this issue like this:

A tablet:
>easy to use and portable, long battery life
>can't do anything meaningful, mainly for games/PDFs

A laptop:
>a bitch to carry (relatively) and not so comfortable for short periods of use
>a full computer at your disposal

If I had it my way, I'd have both. But I can't give up a laptop, and getting a good tablet is not worth it for what it provides.
>>
File: 1376063921980.png (177 KB, 600x337) Image search: [Google]
1376063921980.png
177 KB, 600x337
Dont get an ipad
This thing is so fucking bad
Its borderline useless
I was also really really surprised at how unusable it is for a company like Apple
>>
Desktop and 5-6 inches smartphone, I don't like half solutions.
>>
>>52083154
I gotta say, though. I've owned an iPad. It was great for what it could do. The battery life was like 10 hours, seriously. But it's limiting as fuck. Alongside a laptop - it's great, as a standalone device - it's misery.

And no, Windows tablets aren't the answer. Windows is never the answer.
>>
>>52082510
>uni
back to >>>/reddit/ faggot
>>
If you want portability and battery life get a UX305. Similar to the new macbook for half the price
>>
>>52083208

>>52083047
>>52082775
>>52082697
>>
>>52083205
Any other tablet can do 3 times as much as an ipad. At first i thought it was ok but the more i look into random programs i used on my old nexus 7, and to do ANYTHING just makes me hate this thing more and more
>>
>>52083253
I agree to an extent (that's why I'll always have an Android phone). If you could provide some examples, that would be great.
>>
>>52083038
thanks for providing the first serious answer in this thread, i dont have a desktop in my room (dorm) nor do i have one at home, i just have my shitty laptop and my iphone...

but i guess i could buy the skylake rmbp when it comes out and then drop a 100 bucks on a super shitty tablet just to read books
>>
>>52083253
How? What programs are you using? What can't you do on an iPad besides ricing the home screen?

Do you need a terminal, or use it for debugging and development purposes?
>>
>>52082520
Thinkpad Yoga 14 owner, reporting in
>>
>>52083154
good answer

yes getting a nice tablet isnt maybe really worth the price...
I'd literally use it only to read books and maybe watching movies in the bed, nothing else, having a nice laptop could be a better choice

i cant have both (good ones i mean) so it might be better to get a nice rmbp and a shitty (or used) ipad to read ebooks
>>
File: features-IdeaPad100-15-1.png (208 KB, 804x415) Image search: [Google]
features-IdeaPad100-15-1.png
208 KB, 804x415
I have had a look around, what's the verdict on the lenovo 100s?

It seems like the perfect package - cheap as fuck, good battery, decent layout, small form factor. I would only use it for uni related stuff.
>>
>>52083286
>but i guess i could buy the skylake rmbp when it comes out and then drop a 100 bucks on a super shitty tablet just to read books

No. Just buy a rMBP, the screen is fantastic and worth using to read books, medical literature, etc.

I would buy a laptop, preferably with a hiDPI screen, and then save up for a desktop later on should you desire one. Tablets have their uses, but laptops are better for "real" work. For instance, I edit large amounts of data in R, gnuplot, Origin and Excel. That would be a huge pain in the ass on a tablet.
>>
>>52083120
Stop dropping laptops, you mongoloid.
>>
>>52082554
Why not buy a cheaper tablet to read books on then? Or a kindle? Remember you can get like a 14% student discount on apple products.
>>
I can read books on my phone just fine and its 4.7". If I want to watch a movie or TV show I'm going to watch it on my 60" plasma. Laying in bed holding up a tablet is annoying.
>>
>>52083353
I'm sorry, I am an apple using mong dipshit. But at least I use Linux on my macs.
>>
>>52083320
>ipad for ebooks
why are shitskins this much tech illiterate?
>>
>don't have enough money for both
>rmbp
Found your problem
>>
What the fuck? Tablets are still around? I thought the only one that didn't completely fail was the iPad.
Either way don't get a gimped computer when you can get a real computer.
Buy a used business laptop. It'll last you than whatever you were going to buy new anyway.
>>
>>52082627
If I'm not mistaken, in the UK we use the term "6th form college" and "college" interchangeably, and use the word "uni" or "university" for university.
6th form is for students studying for an A-Level qualification (16 - 18 year olds), whilst university is for people studying higher-level education.
>>
>>52083353
Seriously, what kind of limpwristed clutz drops shit so much.
>>
why the fuck would you get a rMBP if you don't have money to burn?

They're decent but massive moneysinks
>>
>>52082510
A used business laptop with a sandy bridge i5 is the best value. Reference the wiki in the sticky.
>>
Windows tablets with btooth keyboards are dime a dozen. there is also surface pro 3 or the surface 3 as well
>>
>>52083342
Laptops are shit for reading anything no matter how good of a screen they have, because you can't change the fact that they're small.

Any cheap laptop + a largish LCD monitor for home > rMBP. Then you don't have to worry about your nice expensive macbook being stolen, broken, worn down, etc.. I would not recommend an rMBP for a university laptop.
>>
>>52082510
Grab a surface pro, Anon. My little sister is using it for uni and loves it.
>>
>>52082554
since i read you're studying medicine you don't need a powerful machine on the go, probably a tablet is more comfortable to carry BUT if you plan to take notes on it i suggest to find one with a good stand cover or a keyboard cover, something that'll make it like a laptop if you need. for books if you need to study on them so long sessions forget a tablet, your eyes will burn, find a nice large ebook reader.

look for a laptop only if you somehow feel the need for particular software or more freedom and if so search for an ultrabook or go for the most simple option: the macbook. you definitively not sound like someone who needs a thinkpad.
>>
>>52083342
thanks for your insight

>>52083359
cant read medical books on a kindle i need an lcd screen

>>52083382
what would you use?

>>52083383
you get what you pay for

i'd rather spend a lot of money on a great laptop than buying a shitty laptop and a shity tablet

>>52083392
>used business laptop
heavy as fuck, shitty battery

>>52083437
i have saved money for this, it's not like i dont have money at all

>>52083484
i know, but shitty batter and heavy is a dealbreaker for me

>>52083538
this might be a good point

>>52083546
i should check it
>>
>>52082510
Buy the laptop, you'll have a better run with it.
Tablets tend to be nice for being carried around and stuff but you end up loosing yourself in shitty apps and browsing this cancerous website.
Also tablets aren't better for reading you should get an Amazon reader for that. Their smart ink displays are just way friendlier to the eye than an IPS panel
>>
>>52083554

i dont plan on taking notes on the laptop or tablet.
the tabler would be literally 100% for reading.

e-ink displays arent good because i cant read medical books on them, they have a lot of hi-res illustrtions...

i also dont need much raw power on my laptop, thats why im thinking about the rmbp, a great laptop, light, great battery etc, i dont have the time to rice a thinkpad, you're right

>>52083837
yes i think im going to go with the laptop in the end.. but i need to find a solution for my pdf, e-ink display arent good for med books
>>
Surface Pro
>>
>>52084314
The 4?

This may be a good idea

Is it still buggy as fuck though?

Does anyone have one? How is it?

>inb4 great notetaker, onenote
I dont use e-devices to tale notes, just pennand paper
>>
>>52082510
>I need a tablet to read books on

kek
Friend of mine at college used to print out pages from our textbook pdfs. Around 100 pages per day until he had all the material he needed.
>>
If you end buying and iPad, I recommend you the app PDF expert. I'm a law student and it has been incredibly useful for me.
>>
>>52083205
>Windows is never the answer
>Willing to use Mac
>>
>>52084226
Get an ultrabook, put your PDFs in it, and quit bitching like a faggot.
>>
If you're still looking op, ThinkPad yoga might be a good look. It's got a Wacom screen and pen if you want to take hand written notes. It's a bit heavy for one hand tablet use but next to a surface, it's a solid option for Windows.
Side note, Medical companies want to up charge you a shit ton for ebooks, especially on Apple. Worked for UPen's group and they had everything from exams to needed textbooks locked behind an app. It's still in production but they are making it seem like there is going to be a huge demand from other unis
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.