[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>be me >install Ubuntu >want to change to xubuntu >want
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3
File: stallman.gif (2 MB, 350x258) Image search: [Google]
stallman.gif
2 MB, 350x258
>be me
>install Ubuntu
>want to change to xubuntu
>want to remove grub and partitions for fresh install
>nothing works
I'm enjoying windows because this linux shit is dead
>>
>bumping your own thread
>>
just install xfce jesus christ
>>
>>52077901
stupid gates poster
>>
>admitting to being too retarded to install and switch DEs

Wew lad
>>
File: 1369922453088.gif (2 MB, 350x258) Image search: [Google]
1369922453088.gif
2 MB, 350x258
>be me
>use Linux
>fail to understand the plight of the intellectually challenged
>save gif because gif is cool
>>
File: you-tried.gif (29 KB, 500x475) Image search: [Google]
you-tried.gif
29 KB, 500x475
>>52077901
>>
>>52077901
>install linux
>everything is great except the driver support, which is even worse than I had expected.

All in all I'd say this still a good idea. Seriously though how fucking hard would it be for these devs to invest in some driver compatibility?
>>
>>52077901
sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop

was that so hard?
>>
>>52078446
blame hardware manufacturers
>>
>>52078460
Because OP is retard.
>>
Are you retarded? Do a full format through installation, it's easy as fuck. Why would you manually remove grub and partitions for a fresh install, instead of letting the installer do it. God, these winter newfags. If you want to use Linux, then use it and learn. If you are not that competent, then shut up or try again.
>>
>>52078460
Can you really do this in Linux? Type one line in terminal and change distro automatically?
>>
>>52078522
You don't have to reinstall your operating system to switch desktop environments, OP
>>
>>52078522
Xubuntu and Ubuntu are basically the same distro with different defaults
>>
I've tried about 4 desktop
Finally settle on xfce obongo
>feels good
>>
>>52078522
distribution != desktop environment
>>
>>52078522
Desktop Environment. Throw away the idea that 1 OS = 1 Desktop Environment.
>>
>>52078605
Or actually keep it. Modifying ones desktop is gay.
>>
>>52078637
>modifying

You're not getting this DE thing. It's not like straight up ricing, it's probably one of the most important parts of personal computing considering we just had CLIs before. In fact it's probably the one of the few things normalfags would care about especially since they rely on GUIs for everything.
>>
>>52078695
Conversely I'd argue that the desktop environment is the most trivial thing about a modern operating system one could worry about. Barring the wallpaper I have made not one modification to this KDE Plasma desktop that shipped with my openSUSE. When I used Fedora I found GNOME to be quite marvelous after a few clicks of checkboxes and switches that the GNOME team made sure I had. Even when I used Ubuntu I found that an after-market theme that an anon suggested served no real purpose and restored the default one. Not once was I compelled to install a completely different desktop environment. The only time I ever had to manually install a DE was when I used Arch, a distribution that provides no GUI at all. Considering most serious distros do, I see no reason not to use the one provided.
>>
>>52078790
>I see no reason not to use the one provided
how about personal preference?
>>
>>52077901
If you already have Ubuntu installed alongside Windows, all you had to do was load up Xubuntu iso on a usb > erase Ubuntu 15.1 and reinstall > done

Ubuntu does not care about DE, if the core is Ubuntu, it will reinstall clean Xubuntu with the same partitions and you would be back to desktop in 20mins.

you are just dumb anon
>>
>>52078875
Because you particularly like typing one command to install packages over another?
>>
>>52078790
Wouldn't the choice of DE be more important if you're the type to not change the defaults at all? If you hate using a particular DE, and the way its laid out, and don't customise it then having to option to outright switch to what's much more comfortable out of the box is something important.
>>
>>52078911
elaborate. what DE you find comfortable?

you can download mini.iso which is a minimal netinstall of Ubuntu. It will download and install the core and then you can put whatever DE you want OOB. Only thing you have to be careful is manual partitioning which is a 10sec process.
>>
>>52078911
Or I could just install a distro that shipped with my DE of choice. Or, if you know how to use the one your distro already has, don't bother.
>>
>>52077901
>want to change to xubuntu
then just install xfce lmao
>>
>>52078522
That isn't what that is, but you can change "distro" in not much work. It's super easy to switch kernels.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.