[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
the dream is over. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolo gy/i
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4
File: twitter2_3375790b.jpg (104 KB, 620x387) Image search: [Google]
twitter2_3375790b.jpg
104 KB, 620x387
the dream is over.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/internet-security/12069560/Twitter-vows-to-wage-war-on-internet-trolls.html

will this actually affect anything?
>>
It will stop Internet trolls from using Twitter directly. Trolls have to take the effort to create new accounts and get new IP addresses every time they get banned.
>>
>>52064938
you'll have to troll from/on another platform.

it's amazing how entitled faggots can get; thinking you can say whatever you want on github or twitter like it belongs to you and not to the people who actually own a share of those companies. fortunately that delusion is starting to fade.
>>
>>52064938
> the site would give its 320 millions users new tools to protect them from trolls and expose the worst offenders by encouraging people to share lists of blocked users

That sounds like something which is just asking to be abused by /b/tards. Let's hope they create an automated wall of shame where anybody who got blocked by x users ends up on.
>>
Nope.
>>
>>52064938
>thinking this will stop me
I have thousands of accounts for just the occasion
>>
>>52064938
It'll affect working class teenage girls and other mindless monkeys who use these things.
>>
Let's all get on the list of banned users with offensive names
>>
>>52064987
>That sounds like something which is just asking to be abused by /b/tards.
how? i'm not trying to be antagonistic. i'm just not seeing how a shareable list of ignored users would advance a /b/tard's agenda, since /b/tards and anonymous mostly work by raising a shitstorm. A shareable list of users to ignore would just make it easier to make a crowdsourced list of /b/tards to ignore.
>>
How about we make normalfag twitter accounts and accuse people of being /b/tards then use the new tools to ban a bunch of faggots
>>
People use twitter? Hello, it's nearly 2016.
>>
>>52065023
because when users request a human review and it surfaces that the reports were made in bad faith, usually the trolls who abuse the reporting system get banned.

this is how it works on 4chan, for fuck's sake. how do you not know this?
>>
>>52065015
>>52065069
My thought is, they are going to need some automation, because there's no way that Twitter staff will audit all those reports. And an automated report system which makes you end up on some blacklist is asking for trouble.
>>
Twitter vows to wage war

Repeat that again. And realize how funny it looks
>>
>>52065040
normies still use it
>>
>>52065258
you're conflating ignoring/muting users with reporting them.

the only thing that happens if you ignore or mute a user is that you don't see them anymore. the use case for this feature is a republican ignoring/muting a democrat, or vice versa, or maybe ignoring an ex significant other if you're in a tight knit group of friends and you keep seeing their posts through the proverbial grapevine.

the point is, there's absolutely nothing in the ignore/mute mechanism that triggers a review from twitter staff.
>>
>>52065323
nothing makes me laugh as much as when anonymous makes any statement that seems to take itself seriously.
>>
File: 1443781504734.jpg (23 KB, 263x263) Image search: [Google]
1443781504734.jpg
23 KB, 263x263
>>52064938
>using social media
hello reddit ;^)
>>
>>52065655
My point, for the most part, is that a system where you can rate other users as 'bad' or 'trolls' will most probably backfire one way or the other. And people will most probably find a way to exploit it for giving people they simply don't like a bad reputation. See reddit, for example.

I don't really use Twitter and I have no idea how they are going to implement anti-troll measures, but I'm certain that trolls are going to try to exploit it , ironically. Curious to see how it works out.
>>
>>52064987
>implying /b/tards could get enough reputation to game the system
There's a reason why the stack exchange system of reputation works for today's environment.
>>
>>52065737
The premise of a shareable ignore list doesn't strike me as a particularly easy vector for attack.

no offense, but "cynical and naive" isn't a good combination. if you don't have any insight into how a system might backfire, and don't even understand how twitter works, then do us all a favor and stop posting.
>>
>>52065743
this. /b/tards seem to think that mass-rushing a site is easy only because 4chan makes it easy for that sort of organization to happen. try coordinating a mass report/"raid" on someone through facebook, getting caught in their red tape at practically every turn, and you'll discover why people don't raid on facebook or some of these other sites that much - that the hurdles are too great.

twitter is making it sufficiently onerous to attack someone on twitter that people who want to fuck with someone will do it somewhere else. maybe offline.
>>
>>52065796
Not that anon, but it's easy to imagine.

Say they do something silly like x amount of troll votes gets you tagged or auto blocked.

Even though retard from /b/ gets 30 votes, someone like Piers Morgan will get thousands.

Even if it's a percentage, a hoard of /b/ could target individual people and just do an instant block on them.

They didn't say anything about automatic systems like this, but it's conceivable that whatever they do can be exploited.
>>
>>52065691
>implying 4chin isn't social media
>>
File: gdog.jpg (111 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
gdog.jpg
111 KB, 720x960
>>52064938
>Almost 2016
>Using social networks

GTFO you normie, back to le Reddit
>>
>>52067153
lol where do you get your news? kill yourself retard
>>
>>52067187
4chan.org
>>
>>52065007
This
>>
File: 1370689381886.png (64 KB, 299x288) Image search: [Google]
1370689381886.png
64 KB, 299x288
More like a war on non-PC opinions. Facts and statistics are often racist/misogynistic/etc. I can easily see where even simple dissenting opinions will get labeled "trolling". Basically you'll end up on the b& list for hurting some fag/nig/womyn's delicate fee-fees.
>>
>>52065069
>this is how it works on 4chan, for fuck's sake. how do you not know this?

Not the same anon, but I definitely remember getting banned from reporting anything after I filed reports against desktop threads and battlestation threads. I can report fine now, but that ban lasted a good 5-6 months. This was in 2012 btw.

If you can't even do it on 4chan, don't expect false reporting to work on sites such as twitter and facebook.
>>
>>52064938
Protip: Internet trolls is anyone social whores get offended by.
>>
>>52064938
They have the twitter block list that the feminists use. Which is the basis of the new twitter block tool. The twitter one is governed by a feminist group called WAM I believe.

It won't really affect anything in particular, but overall scale will shift populations.
>>
If twitter becomes the perfect Safe Space, all the whiners will just huddle there and leave the rest of the internet to us.
>>
>>52068024
yep. and as arbitrary as you might think 4chan mods are about posts and whatnot, they're operating absolutely without rules when it comes to banning you for abusing the report system. There are no formal rules about what they perceive to be an abuse of that aspect of the system, which translates to them banning you seemingly arbitrarily, generally with no effective recourse - and certainly not as robust as the recourse you have if you're banned for the content of a post.

The same is true of report-abuse on other sites. Twitter and Facebook's engineers don't take a playful hacker-y view toward the misuse of a system that's supposed to be sort of a "911" function in the first place.
>>
>>52067187
Public service news outlets? Certainly not from "new style" media or whatever name the hipster advertising mogul shitposters try to push to make themselves appear credible.
>>
>>52065966
>Media,

More like shitstorm house, difference
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.