[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does some Windows software work in wine, but others don't?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: wink tattooo.jpg (269 KB, 729x912) Image search: [Google]
wink tattooo.jpg
269 KB, 729x912
Why does some Windows software work in wine, but others don't? How can you predict which will be which when developing?
>>
Two possible reasons:
- Applications are badly written and depend on undocumented behavior of the WinAPI in order to function properly.
- They make use of APIs or traits of the WinAPI that aren't implemented yet in Wine
>>
>>52063552
>Applications are badly written and depend on undocumented behavior of the WinAPI in order to function properly.
So it's DESIGNED around glitches? How does that work?
>>
>>52063511
Who is this semen demon?
>>
it just werks till somthing gets changed then it dosnt its a pretty shitty way of doing things unless ur coding milcious software
>>
>>52063577
>glitches
undefined behavior

For example, if a function receives NULL instead of a valid pointer and the function documentation does not state what will happen in that case, the implementation could do whatever, just return, log some error message somewhere or simply crash.

Maybe some developer knows that the windows implementation will just return and do nothing in that case, and creates an application that will crash when confronted with a different implementation of the same API call.

Note that this is a very constructed example and the cases for undefined behavior can be much more complex than that.
>>
>>52063577
>How does that work?
- using undocumented functions
- passing undocumented optional parameters or undocumented values
- relying on special global state changes
>>
>>52063577
Also, the Win32 API has workarounds for glitchy applications...
http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/APIWar.html
>>
>>52063665
underrated post
>>
>>52063511
For some reason, the applications that do run on Wine outperform Windows in terms of speed and resource usage. How is this possible?

I ran GTA San Andreas the other day and the FPS was flying out of control I had to turn on limiter because the mouse was so damn smooth. I have a laptop with a shitty onboard graphics card and when I run San Andreas on Windows, I experience jitters periodically yet Wine doesn't have this problem.

What kind of sorcery is this?
>>
>>52065596
I think wine does less checks since it doesn't fully mimic the win32 api yet so it has less to do per operation.
>>
>>52065596
Windows isn't actually running so no wasted resources hog. Wine is not an emulator as the name implies and instead functions more as a minimal translator for those windows specific graphics libraries. Most dx9 games work pretty flawlessly now which is cool. Can even run skyrim fully modded up.
>>
>>52067434
>>52065596
Wine is not an emulator; Wine is an implementation of the Win32 API and Direct X API. Since the project is incomplete, it doesn't need to run with the overhead of the traditional Windows implementation.
>>
>>52063665
张馨予 吴卓羲
>>
>>52064166
>general usage sauce meme post
>underrated
>being this new
>>
>>52067434
>Can even run skyrim fully modded up.

Except the most important mod.

ENB
>>
>>52067565
That's going to take a bit more time to perfect. The kind of technology behind ENB is not trivial.
>>
>>52067497
I came
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.