[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Alright /g/, I had to install my first linux, for computer science
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: grub-2.0-ubuntu-12.04.png (35 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
grub-2.0-ubuntu-12.04.png
35 KB, 350x350
Alright /g/, I had to install my first linux, for computer science and shit.
Then, grub2 happened, and moved placed windows to the bottom:
I want it on the top of the list.

I have been reading around and know about changing the default entry.
I know about saving the last os that was used as default.
I tried to use grub customizer and grub editor because I'm slightly scared of command lines and fucking up, but they won't work on this old lubuntu for some reason; I got this lubuntu from a friend's cd, I don't know how to check the version and from what I've read none of those programs would help me anyway:

From what I've understood, I can fuck around with the etc/default/grub file and the etc/grub.d/40_custom file, but none of them would change the order at which the menu entries are placed in the boot/grub/grub.cfg file, which I believe is what affects order here; and the only thing stopping me from doing so, aside from the fact that it wasn't supposed to be modified directly and the fear of fucking up, is that, from what I've read, it could be turned back into whatever he other grub files by some other obviously-important program.

What do?
I feel like I should fuck around with making more files in the grub.d directory, or maybe get the old grub, since it worked on a list or something; but I feel like the windows entry is made by the 30_os-prober file and that installing the old grub could be quite dangerous if done wrong, with no guarantee of it working.

What am I supposed to do?
>>
also interested in this
>>
update your lubuntu

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

and get the new one if you have some old piece of shit.
>>
>>52057805
Holy shit I don't even know how to screenshot, there's too much to learn
I get "W: Failed to fetch http://es.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/quantal-backports/multiverse/binary-i386/Packages 404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.91.14 80]" for a bunch of shit after apt-get update. and dist-upgrade won't download shit.

Guess this distro is too old then; might as well get something other than lubuntu on the way, since I'm kind of starting to hate it's everything.

Anything you can tell me the grub.d files or old grub?
>>
>>52057963
run grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
this will write your changes from /etc/default/grub to the actual boot partition config
>>
use printscreen button>>52057963
on your keyboard
>>
File: guide.gif (38 KB, 296x313) Image search: [Google]
guide.gif
38 KB, 296x313
>>52057769
>>
>>52057769
>ubuntu
welcome to the botnet you nigger
>>
>>52060380
botnet? which one you mean? lubuntu?
>>
>>52060380
lubuntu has no unity
>>
>>52057963
Download a new iso of a distro of your choice, write it to usb, install.
Otherwise you'll have problems with your current install. Visit >>>/g/flt for info and help
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.