[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
don't buy nothing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 2
File: savemoney.png (59 KB, 1282x722) Image search: [Google]
savemoney.png
59 KB, 1282x722
now that this hellish consumerist nightmare is officially over

who wants to dedicate themselves to a holy cause for the coming year?

the challenge is: don't buy any new tech for the entirety of 2016.

>that's impossible!

no it's not. this is the year we learn how to repair. how to make due. how to compromise. how to find new ways to do things.

anyone else man or woman enough to take da pledge?
>>
Meh, not impossible for me. I won't have a source of income for at least the beginning of next year and my rig is already pretty nice.

I imagine I'll still buy little things. Recently bought a USB switch to ease switching peripherals between VMs.
>>
>>52054672
This is like trying to plant a tree to save the environment.
No matter how much you try.
100 logging companies will cut down more trees in 1 seconds than you can replant in your entire life.

Just do your own thing.
>>
>>52054857
it's not about beating the big bad corporations

it's about hopefully changing your mindset towards what is 'needed' and removing yourself from the world of purchasing first, asking questions later
>>
>>52055087
rationalization is your best worst friend. any tips on need vs greed?
>>
What a retarded objective.

If you have stuff you can still use or fix, then do it. If you need something new or a replacement, then buy it.

You're not sticking it to da man or anything by not buying anything, you're just being a moron. Do you also change your facebook picture to a cartoon to fight child abuse? Cause that's just as effective.
>>
The only thing I'll buy is a mid-range Pascal GPU.

My 7970 is fine but loud as fuck, runs hot and the drivers are shit. But it plays all my games fine, so I'm not going to bother with any high end models.

I plan to use this GPU for >5 years.
>>
Anon, the day after Christmas is usually the second-largest shopping day of the year.

Also, my Note 3 is a bit long in the tooth. I have the still-bootloader-locked ATT version and I am stuck on Touchwiz Lollipop. I have to buy a Nexus 6P next year.
>>
>>52055531
i think you are scared to let go
>>
My 1994 Ford Explorer isn't going to make it another month.....
>>
>>52054672
>Implying I didn't repair my technlogy all my life
Being poor will teach you some values.

In 2015 I bought this technology:

1. An 120GB SSD drive. Not on a whim though my only HDD died so I had to get a new one. Price difference was like 10 euro in favor of 500GB HDD so I thought fuck it I only need storage for school files, I don't play games and I stream all media content.
2. A secondary monitor for 10 eur. Corporate clearance of Lenovo 1280x1024 17" LCDs. Saves me a lot of time.

In 2016 I plan on buying a used Lumia 520 if my current Samsung C3050 dies or gets lost. No other plans but I will replace any tech that will break beyond repair.
>>
>>52054672
>The Year SAVE of BUY DON'T NOTHING!
>>
>>52055673
that's a life expense

this is about wanton consumerist behavior. where you might say to yourself, "i need a new X, this one is only USB 2.0!!!"

>>52055329
i know nothing. that is why i am trying this experiment. maybe necessity will shed some light on what responsible spending behavior actually looks like.
>>
>>52054672
What if I buy a used TV off of Ebay
>>
>>52054672
i already did this for 3 years
>>
>>52054672
I found a 22" flatscreen on the side of the road and replaced the capacitors, turns out it's a common problem in LCD's. Also replaced the convergence chips in my old rear projection TV

I love it
>>
>>52054672
Can rule be added to allow purchase if Attempt to fix could not be resolved and said Tech is needed?
>>
does software count?
>>
>>52058911
its up to you how strict you want to be

the fact that you would try as hard as possible to avoid a purchase shows you are being cognisant of your actions
>>
I didn't buy any tech this year, just because everything's shit right now.
dunno what I'll do next year, but I'm not makin a faggy pledge.
>>
yeah, prolly going to wait 2 years to get new set up.
Want full autism set up.
>>
>>52054672
sure
>>
>main board breaks
>have to get a new one
>can't because you don't want a "hellish consumerist nightmare" in 2016 so you'll have to use your pentium 3 PC until January 2017
>>
>>52054672
>how to make due. how to compromise.
I've been doing that shit for 2 years with my 560ti, fuck off.
>>
>>52054672
The new GPUs and VR headset are going to be released next year. I'm afraid I won't be able to join your "noble" cause, OP.
>>
>>52054857
That may be true but even if all you can do is nothing compared to the majority you can still make a difference.
>>
>>52054672
I start a real job next year though, so I can finally buy new shit.
Sorry senpai, but I wanna play with new technology and not shit that you'd find in Goodwill.
>>
>>52054672
can I buy old tech instead? I kinda want to buy a bunch of server hardware on ebay this coming year
>>
I could easily do this so long as my phone doesn't get broken
>>
>>52054672
>don't buy nothing
>[do not] [buy nothing]
So, buy something.
>>
>>52059421
but that's the 'fun' of it

could you figure out how to solder for repairs? could you plug in some old mb/cpu you have stashed in the closet and try to use linux and low power consumption software? could you switch from a desktop to another computing device and function with that?

it's all just a thought experiment
>>
My laptop (wich is 7 years old) is fucked up and my wage is on January so I can't.
But I second this because I am not a gaymen so I don't need Bullshit upgrades every year
>>
>>52054672
No, fuck you. I didn't buy anything strictly unnecessary during the last two months anyways except some small gifts for my sister, mom and dad.

Next year is when I'm going to do big hardware upgrades for my desktop. I specifically didn't buy anything this year so that I could next.

Fuck off you commie.
>>
>>52054672
I already did that for 2015. Well my mouse is about to take a shit on me so I may not make it for 7 more days.
>>
>>52055531
The point he is trying to make seems to only be a personal endevour and not trying to prove anything.

Basically you stop buying things you don't actually have a use for. Like people buying 3000 dollar machines to browse the internet.
>>
I'm in. I will also not install any proprietary software in 2016.
>>
File: speccy.jpg (44 KB, 455x385) Image search: [Google]
speccy.jpg
44 KB, 455x385
>>52054672
I believe in my case I need to spend
>>
>>52054857
>100 logging companies will cut down more trees in 1 seconds than you can replant in your entire life.
Daily reminder that they replant themselves as required by law. I fucking hate corrupt corporations myself, because they can pollute the air and food and shit, but if you spew incorrect things then people become numb to "dumb hippees bitching about the corporations."
>>
>>52056124
Tepkak
>>
>>52054672
Fuck that. I spent my entire early twenties just barely getting by. I have money now and I will buy shit.
>>
>>52063399
Good goy, spend all of your hard earned money on things that only last a few years instead of buying something your kids can use one day.
>>
>>52062728
This could run debian with a wm or even xfce for at least another 5 years.
>>
>>52054672
I can't think of any new tech purchase I did this year. But maybe it was just something minor I forgot about.
>>
>>52059500
>The new GPUs [...] are going to be released next year
Yeah, that only happens once in a century, right?

What's wrong with your current GPU that you need a new one? What are you even planning on doing with the new GPU that you can't do now?
>>
>>52063424
>buy new stuff
>save old parts for when kids are old enough to learn about computers
>>
I have to buy new stuff now and then when the old stuff ceases to function.
>>
>>52054672
extreme counter-consumerism is just as bad for you as extreme consumerism
>>
>>52062728
>FOUR cores
>FOUR gigabytes of ram
it's a fucking beast, as long as you're not playing demanding games it'll be more enough
>>
>>52054672
In what order am I supposed to read that?

>The Year save of buy don't nothing
>The Year of Buy don't nothing
>>
>>52054672
My last tech purchase was on 2012 when I bought a laptop. After that it was just a flash drive and a mouse which was broken.

Not sure why burgerclaps keep buying shit every year when your current build is working fine. Many people on /g/ call me poor for not buying expensive shit and upgrading every 6 month. They forget that the old stuff they discard is raping the environment with waste and it gives companies like Apple an excuse to practice planned obsolescence.
>>
>>52064914
it's actually supposed to be read vertically

>The SAVE don't - year of Buy Nothing
>>
Uh yeah sur- wait the iPhone 7 comes out next year, pass.
>>
>>52064950
>raping enviroment with waste
electronics are very well recycled (also, who cares?)

i understand the point of not spending shitload of money on hardware when current setup works just fine, but point with enviroment is shit. Let's even pretend that we're not selling old used hardware on ebay and recycling centres will still process it properly since you have a lot of useful metals there.
>>
>>52054672
But I got the Rift in Q1, then I'll need a Cyberith or an Omni plus some sort of gun. With that I'll probably need the latest and greatest graphics card
>>
>>52065029
My point is that if we use our products longer and push for quality over quantity, manufacturers will remain complacent with their marketing stunts.

If we use less, we buy less, they produce less, hence less waste is added annually.
>>
>Built a new rig in January, partially out of second hand components (CPU, motherboard and GPU) due to a lack of progress in high end CPU performance over the last few years
>Upgraded to another second hand GPU (GTX 970) to do more demanding GPGPU work faster this September
>Got a new 2560x1440 monitor for Christmas (replacing one that I got in 2008)
>If Zen chips come out this year and they're as good as they look there's a good chance I could upgrade my CPU and motherboard this year
Meh... At least I can pride myself on buying new stuff to replace ether old or second hand stuff and not something I bought brand new less than a year ago.
>>
>last week i bought nexus 6, so I don't need new phone for a year
>Ill buy new MBP next month, as new laptop after 5 years of using old one
>logitech MX Master and ATH-M50x would be nice
>I have literally tons of cables and other stuff, maybe ill need one used Android phone for development

I'm planing out move from parens house, so I need moneyz for furniture, but replacing phones every 6months unless you don't get really good deal doesn't makes any sense to me.
>>
>>52054672
Pretty easy for me.

Only tech I bought this year:

- Moto E 2nd Gen
- 32Gb MicroSD card
- Wireless receptor
- Logitech keyboard
>>
>>52059803
Well, I guess you at least have to buy food, or else you'll starve. Unless mom supplies you with tendies, of course.
>>
>>52054672
>don't buy nothing
Double negative.
>>
>>52065408
sounds like you're doubly negative
>>
Why bother? Just buy cost efficient things and go for price/performance. They aren't going to stop making things because started a little event on 4chan to try and save the environment. They'll just advertise more aggressively.
>>
Can I replace the clicking HDD in my laptop? Please?
>>
>>52054672
>the challenge is: don't buy any new tech for the entirety of 2016.
I haven't bought any new tech in 2015.
I probably won't in 2016.

So yeah, simply stop being a drooling consumerist retard, it ain't hard
>>
>>52065434
It seems like you should review your English courses.
>>
>>52054672
Wouldn't be too hard for me if I really wanted to try. Over the course of the past month I got a new watch, a 1+1, and a raspi0.

I'm not going to do it because I'm a cuck, but whatever.
>>
>>52054672
Requirements for not buying anything; 3D printer, CNC machine, some electrical engineering skills, some more tools. Not buying anything won't help, what would help though is a community of people making open source variants of consumer products. That way we can kill the Capitalistic society and live happily ever after as sophisticated beings.
>>
>>52065534
TPB has had a section for physibles for years. The problem is nobody wants to use it for anything other than free guns.

This is how the FOSS community always fucking works. If there's one guy, just ONE GUY out there who has the know-how and the equipment, everything's just green fields and rivers. But in cases like these where there isn't, it's literally impossible to do anything.
>>
>>52063440
Why only five years? If it don't break it can run that shit forever. Fuck manufactured open-source obsolescence.
>>
>>52065534
>>52065549
Thing is IMO 3d-printers are not the be-all end-all of manufacturing. Far from. What you actually need if you want to make your own stuff is a wood/metalworking shop, maybe with a laser cutter or cnc lathe but even those would be more than necessary.
>>
>>52065534
>>52065549
Even if we had guys doing that, there's no way they could make sophisticated precision equipment. There are just some things you need very specific processes and equipment to make. If you really want to help, go get an engineering degree and spend your life thinking of easier ways to make common items or better recycling methods.
>>
>>52065595
Well you'd only really need all that if you wanted stuff to be precise.

Most consumer electronics shit can theoretically be built using just a 3D printer and some electronic components. It'd be next to impossible to actually pull it off, but not totally impossible.

I mean just last week somebody on this board was talking about how he was gonna build an 80486 in his garage or something. If we can make that feasible for the common man, we're already halfway there.
>>
>>52054672
But I wanted to get a watch anon. I don't have a watch.. I-is this ok?
>>
>>52054672

I pledge not to buy Intel.

http://blog.invisiblethings.org/2015/10/27/x86_harmful.html

www.libreboot.org/faq/#intelme
>>
>>52064779
Haha good luck with that, ever heard of the term 'planned obscelesence', engineers make the product so that it breaks (or become obsolete) in a set amount of time (outside warranty time of course).
The reason why they do this is because they don't want to saturate their own market, if people had access to stuff that was of good quality then the company that makes that product can't sell anything anymore, so company's are insentevised to make products break.

Welcome to the consumers world.
>>
>>52054672
I already live like this. Fixing is cheaper and more ethical and fun than buying new.
>>
>>52065408
>yo officer I didn buy noffin
>>
>>52064914
The year no dollar, save of buy, don't nothing.
>>
already ordered a roxio gamecap and a composite to HDMI adapter

oh well
>>
>>52054672

I've literally been doing this since 2010 went the tech industry went to shit (post-ipad). There is almost nothing you can buy now that isn't better than what you could buy 5 years ago for cheaper, or at most 5-10% faster.
>>
>>52067198
Plebeian.
>>
Laptop is 4 years old with maxed out upgrades and cell is a 4.5 year old BIONIC. I already planned to make it another year with both, maybe two for the laptop. I don't have anything against buying new tech, I just have other priorities.
Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.