[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>tfw use OS X but really, really, really miss Windows
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5
File: 1446144451964.jpg (22 KB, 400x350) Image search: [Google]
1446144451964.jpg
22 KB, 400x350
>tfw use OS X but really, really, really miss Windows
>>
You should try running a Linux distro. Once you do you will never go back.
>>
>>52045957
Yeah. To Loonix.
>>
Hmm.
>>
>>52045957
Do this, OP. Xubuntu is a good start.
>>
>>52048055
Sorry, I don't think I would enjoy screen tearing.
>>
>>52048086
Who gives a fuck. Just switch to Linux you'll love it. This is coming from someone who has been a winfag for ~10 years
>>
>>52045957
I am still waiting for somebody actually admitting something like this.

Like I own 4 Linux machines and play around with RaspPis and shit but goddamn I will NEVER use Linux on my causal machine or any notebook I ever owned.

Okay, maybe "never" is a strong word - let me rephrase that - I will not use Linux until I can do mostly anything without the command line.
>>
>want to use any form of Unix at all but also enjoy video games
Feels bad.
>>
>>52045884
Install:
> Spectacle
> smcFanControl
> betterTouchTool
> OnyX
> Learn Homebrew (start with youtube-dl, screenfetch and ffmpeg)
> lurk the settings and disable all the free bloat
> install xCode
> learn Swift
> make apps
> ?????????
> best os ever
>>
>>52048634
Arma 3 is on linux. What more could you want?
>>
>>52048585
I'm a curious user, that's why I ended up with hackintosh. And of course I tried many various Linux distributions.

I spent most of my time with Xubuntu, Fedora and Arch. Every distro has its own bunch of bugs, weird inconsistencies, and things to fix. The worst part is that things break without your participation. You build your knowledge about Linux not by learning how the OS works, but merely by googling and memorizing/bookmarking the set of patches, commands and hacks what are crucial to the particular edition of the particular distribution.

At least on Windows and OS X you know for sure that it you who fucked up, these systems rarely fail by themselves.
>>
>>52048695
A game that runs well
>>
As much as I appreciate the Linux's freedom and customization possibilities, I can't for the love of me enjoy it as much as Windows.

I grew up with Windows so there's that factor, but holy cow running Diablo II or anything remotely good on Linux is just a pain even for those 10-minute gaming breaks.

I'm not one to build machines from separate components like a technomancer, specially because i need laptops for the runjob and most of the times I tried to install a distro (Ubuntu, Mint, openSUSE, Fedora) they would consume more RAM and CPU than Windows 7.

Not only that but half the components that came working out of the box didn't even have drivers available for those distros.

Again, I really appreciate your effort /g/, but to me Loonix just seems like a Meme OS.
>>
>>52048679
Is there anything free that just werks and fixes alt tab to switch windows instead of processes or windows belonging to processes?
>>
>>52048621
I use Linux on my laptop and it was pretty and expensive. However, I will never use it on my desktop, no questions asked. But Linux on a laptop is actually really nice. The battery conserving part of it can be finniky and the dual graphics can need a blacklisted module or two sometimes, but it lets me get shit done fast. Really really fast. Windows is and may always be the OS to get work done on (might get replaced by OSX), but for uni a laptop is disgustingly nice with Linux.
>>
>>52048764
Also, tiling window managers are a total meme. Just use gnome or some shit. Dam senpai.
>>
>>52049663
Gnome is a power hog, at least on my machine
>>
>>52049646
>I use Linux on my laptop
>I will never use it on my desktop
May I ask why? Is it because the laptop for you is this much of a secondary, web browsing, mail checking machine?
>>
>>52048695

>port
>not native
>outdated
>performance decreased in 5~10%
>alpha

Piss off, Linux shill!
>>
>>52048695
GTA V :v)
>>
>kneel before monster mash and pledge allegiance to the graveyard smash
>>
>>52048621
Got a mac for my work. I still have Linux on my home computer. I consider installing Linux on my work computer too, because OSX sucks in comparison for anything related to work.
>>
File: thetruthaboutosxandlinux.jpg (586 KB, 1537x1581) Image search: [Google]
thetruthaboutosxandlinux.jpg
586 KB, 1537x1581
>>52051240
I have a hard time believing some people actually prefer Linux to OS X. Seriously doubt that.
>>
>>52051297
I do.

Now f*uck off with your propaganda shill.
>>
>>52051417
>I do
Proofs?
>>
>>52051297
Is KDE not a customizable DE?
Really?
>>
>>52051297
A couple of things that I don't like on OSX:
- Too complicated, there are buttons everywhere and it does not follow an unified logic. Basic things like going to the parent folder, going to the home folder or putting two windows side by side is painfully difficult. I will look into the Spectacle software mentionned ITT, maybe it will make window management less awful.
- The dock is not very intuitive to use. Well, it's very intuitive if you only use Safari and Powerpoint but for very complicated, custom science workflows Openbox menu is way better.
- Poor keyboard integration. You can do some things using the keyboard but it's limited and it's usually a different pathway than using the mouse, so basically you have to memorize tons of keyboard shortcuts. By the way, the keyboard shortcuts are retarded. This is more a hardware problem, but I miss the Page Up buttons etc. I'm not even the clusterfuck that is screenshooting.
-Obviously designed for students. You need to have folders for "movies" and "music" in your home folder. I don't look at movies at work, do you? And of course, there is the usual "documents" folder where you're supposed to put everything actually useful at work (at least at my work). Removing these folders using the command line can prevent other things from running correctly.
- The looks. It used to be decent but the version I use heavily relies on blur which creates ugly gradients depending on what is behind. Come on, OSX designers.
- Incredibly slow and sluggish compared to Openbox. You don't realize it because you never used Openbox, but it's quite obvious.
-Does not even respect my freedoms

To be honnest Openbox is incredibly good, even compared to most Linux DEs which are fairly OSX-tier.
>>
>>52051557
>Openbox is incredibly good
It uses XML for it's configs.
Cum on
>>
File: 1443158099731.png (157 KB, 516x440) Image search: [Google]
1443158099731.png
157 KB, 516x440
>>52051557
So much horseshit in one post, I don't even know where to start.

>Basic things like going to the parent folder
⌘ + ↑

>going to the home folder
⌘ + Shift + H

>putting two windows side by side
El Capitan split view or Hammerspoon (like i3/awesomewm - but better)

>dock is not very intuitive to use
Why the fuck are you even using the dock? Hide that shit and use spotlight like you would use dmenu

>Poor keyboard integration
BULLSHIT! BULLSHIT! Out of the box it comes with emacs keybindings prebaked, it works in every fucking app, supports yanking and killing universally in all text fields. It has an entire user definable keybind system (https://github.com/ttscoff/KeyBindings) in place. FAR more consistent than anything you would find in Linux.

>for "movies" and "music" in your home folder
stop nitpicking faggot

>Slow and sluggish compared to Openbox
That is because Openbox is garbage that lacks even the most basic features you would find in other window managers. I could say the same shit about TWM

>Does not even respect my freedoms
Fuck your freedoms
>>
File: 12323463435.png (111 KB, 1405x1401) Image search: [Google]
12323463435.png
111 KB, 1405x1401
>>52051297
>>
>>52052375
What does cum smell like, anon?
>>
>>52048086
Compton is a thing you lazy fucking shit

Google Xubuntu compton
>>
File: 1372044120894.png (115 KB, 600x1076) Image search: [Google]
1372044120894.png
115 KB, 600x1076
>>52052375
>>
>>52054189
>pretentious macfags have a persecution complex and get triggered every time someone criticizes their choice of OS

Why are applecunts such SJWs?
>>
>tfw use iOS, but really, really, really miss Android
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.