[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the best way to hide my IP while torrenting for free?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 6
File: 1395969996316.jpg (15 KB, 520x678) Image search: [Google]
1395969996316.jpg
15 KB, 520x678
What's the best way to hide my IP while torrenting for free?
>>
why hide it? just use a seedbox in a country that doesn't give a fuck about copyright notices and sync shit every few days.
>>
seedbox with tor to protect your privacy while browsing, or a vpn with tor
>>
>>52043591
unless you're torrenting videos of children getting raped and dismembered, a seedbox should suffice. you don't need tor or a vpn or any of that extra shit.
>>
>>52043591

>falls for the VPN meme

Don't do this.
>>
>>52043542
get a seedbox. i wouldn't trust a vpn anymore than my isp.
>>
File: 160116.gif (1 MB, 450x290) Image search: [Google]
160116.gif
1 MB, 450x290
>>52043542
>non american vpn
if youre doing anything really illegal,then you get what you deserve.
other than that fuck hollywood
>>
>>52043611
Why not?
>>
File: 3ef7e72b6ad5361508cdae5.gif (988 KB, 500x282) Image search: [Google]
3ef7e72b6ad5361508cdae5.gif
988 KB, 500x282
>>52043542
i torrent music and movies all the time,what are they going to do about it?sue me? cant get blood out of a stone.
>>
>>52043542
I don't want to shit on your ambitions but in the long-run its better to avoid piracy and consolidate your needs. Just buy the content you need like games and music so you can use them with peace of mind. You can also avoid the risk of getting bitcoin miners from public trackers and giving interviews for private trackers who force you to seed like a madman.

I don't see the merits of piracy when the potential cost if caught is far worse and can ruin your life.
>>
File: Slide228.jpg (34 KB, 499x375) Image search: [Google]
Slide228.jpg
34 KB, 499x375
>>52044029
>>
>>52043674
Well, you don't ALWAYS get what you deserve but i think i know what you meant
>>
>>52044029
This. Stealing is bad. Period.
>>
>>52044109
It's not stealing it is creating a copy. Just like if I built a Ferrari with my own hands would not be "stealing a Ferrari"
>>
>>52043712

American ones are backdoored by NSA. Non-American ones will sell out your ass to the NSA, if required. Swedish ones will sell your ass to the NSA, if required and are probably backdoored.

Stay safe, be paranoid.
>>
>>52044216
copying the intellectual work that went into designing that ferrari's engine, the aerodynamics, etc... is considered theft in most legal systems.

you might object to that, and i do to, but under the current legal regime it's not our prerogative to negate someone's claim to intellectual property.
>>
>>52043712
You are paying someone to hand you over to the authorities when they inevitably start sniffing around trying while trying to find you. Using a VPN to avoid the legal ramifications for torrenting is a stupid idea.
>>
>>52044216
Creating a copy would be if your friend burned some anime/music files on a DVD and handed to you. Microsoft allows you to share Office 365 activation on five computers and Windows for like 2-3 PC's in your own home.

Torrenting is simply broadcasting the content on a global level with millions of people copying. That is not sharing and it attracts attention from companies and lawsuits.

If you build a Ferrari with your own hands means you bought and paid for all the components, labor and manufacturing process. However, the original design and trade secrets are still with Ferrari. If you steal those and replicate the manufacturing process 1:1, that would be stealing.

I think you are being intentionally retarded at this point.
>>
File: wait_what.jpg (28 KB, 300x562) Image search: [Google]
wait_what.jpg
28 KB, 300x562
>>52044216
>>
>>52044256
I think that his point is that the traditional idea of "stealing" does not carry over cleanly to the digital realm.

If Jamal steals your phone, he has it now, and you don't. He deprived you of your phone in order to get it for himself.

However, when people refer to "stealing" in terms of movies/music/software, the owner isn't deprived of the original product. The owner retains their version, and the other person gets a brand-new copy. The only physical transfer that occurred is the bits and bytes that went through the ISP, but since both parties are paying for their internet service, no stealing has taken place.

I'm not trying to justify piracy, but IMO calling piracy "stealing" is disingenuous, because it's an entirely different matter.
>>
>>52044288
Sharing digital content privately with your friends and family members existed since the time of VHS and audio cassettes, no one can regulate that.

The torrents do it over a global scale that stings the asshole of these companies. As you said it takes away the incentive from users who paid for the content as someone else got it for free and the creators who invested time and money get the wrong signal that their project failed due to lack of sales. Meanwhile millions of end users actually liked the project but got it for free.

Digital media is so difficult to regulate, so many grey areas.
>>
File: 1389993542504.gif (1 MB, 350x272) Image search: [Google]
1389993542504.gif
1 MB, 350x272
>95% of hollywood movies are total shit
>torrenting movies/music barely makes a dent in corporate profits
>corporations scream poor because of the small percentage of profit loss due to torrenting
>mfw music/movie/game retailers are making awesome daily/annual profits
>mfw copyright shills fag up /g/ on xmas day
>>
>>52044109
You aren't stealing. You're making a copy.

If Tyrone comes up and makes a copy of something I own, I lose nothing but the potential money I couldve had by making more and selling it. There is still nothing stopping me from making more and selling it. All it means is that Tyrone now has a copy and there is no longer a central source of it.

But you know what? If I instead sold it to Tyrone for 5.99, he can just go out, copy it and give it to a million of his facebook friends. Doesnt matter either way.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.