[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
UEFI is Shit and Whoever Came Up With This Should be Shot
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 8
>be me
>get a new laptop
>also get a new M.2 SSD because fuck using a 5400RPM drive for Windows and fuck Lenovo's shitware
>want to do a clean installation of Windows 10 Enterprise on the SSD because the laptop came with Home
>pry open the laptop, install SSD (harder than it should have been, but whatever, that's not exactly new for laptops)
>turn on laptop
>hit f keys to get into BIOS to change the boot order
>nothing happens
>wtf
>google, find out you have to hit shift when clicking restart starting with Windows 8 to access your BIOS/boot from other devices
>go to boot from USB to do the installation
>it can't find the USB drive
>google again
>find out you have to disable secure boot and change the boot mode to legacy rather than UEFI, as well as disable "optimize for OS compatibility" for the laptop to boot from USB
>do so
>every single step of this requires you to load all the way into Windows, hit shift and then restart to get pic fucking related, then wait for windows to shut down, just to access the BIOS
>finally boot from USB
>pick SSD to install Windows
>"Windows cannot install to this drive"
>wtf
>reformat it
>"Windows cannot install to this drive"
>google the error code
>find because of UEFI you cannot install to a second drive unless you disconnect the other drive first....WTF
>do so
>laptop refuses to boot without an HDD plugged in
Fuck this. Fuck Microsoft. Fuck Lenovo. Fuck whoever came up with UEFI. This is the most consumer unfriendly shit I have ever seen. This laptop is going back. Fuck.
>>
>>52037887
>find out you have to hit shift when clicking restart starting with Windows 8 to access your BIOS/boot from other devices
HOL UP

WHat happens when you got that exact fucking computer and you want to replace Currydows with GNU/Autism?
>>
Replaced my hdd with an ssd yesterday never ran into your issue. Get smart
>>
>>52037960
Read it again. I didn't replace the HDD. I added a SSD. That's the problem.
>>
>>52037939
I'm sorry, I can't let you do that Dave.
>>
>Lenovo
>Microsoft
>>
>>52037939
If you wanted to install it on the HDD Windows was already on you'd probably be fine. You'd have to go through all that bullshit, but it would let you. If you wanted to install it on a second drive? Don't know. I know Windows isn't ok with it, and from what I can tell that's due to UEFI. The OS HAS to be on the same drive that the EFI partition is on, and you can't create two EFI partitions.
>>
If you boot the machine up with no drives attached it will give you the option to go into the UEFI/BIOS
>>
>>52037887
This isn't a screenshot of your uefi clown, that's your recovery partition on your hdd
>>
>>52038062
Apparently not with Lenovo. Nothing plugged in to the HDD slot? No boot. Won't even power on.

>>52037996
My old Laptop is a Lenovo and it was alright. Granted it's also five years old. I figured "how bad could they really be?". I was wrong anon. I was so very wrong.
>>
>>52038098
what model? my thinkpad's all give me the boot menu when i power on without any drives in it
>>
>>52038134
Y700. Possible I just have a fucked up machine. All the more reason to take it back.
>>
Speaking of uefi boot shenanigans...
Need help!
Im doing a fresh install of win 10 on my new rig, tried from the dvd and a usb drive.
I get a windows loading screen for one minute, and then black screen without cursor...
No HDD activity, no optical drive activity and no usb drive activity. It just goes blank and i cant find any info about that problem...
I can boot into the uefi alright, but aside from that...
>>
>>52038163
Are you getting the black screen after a supposedly successful install or a black screen when trying to load up the Windows installer from USB?
>>
>>52038149
doubt its fucked up, might be different in consumer products to "protect" the user or some shit. to be honest if you are reinstalling windows you might as well just boot up once, reboot into UEFI and disable secure boot and stuff.

i have UEFI as an option but stick with legacy BIOS as it offers me nothing i give a shit about
>>
>>52038204
That's pretty much what I already did. No joy. It won't let me install Windows 10 onto the second drive (SSD) with the first (HDD) plugged in and the machine won't start without the HDD plugged in. At this point I'm not willing to deal with this shit anymore and I'm returning it and just buying another machine with an SSD already in it (from someone that isn't Lenovo because they've now pissed me off to the point I'm willing to drop $100 extra to buy elsewhere). I thought I was being clever and saving $30 by buying the SSD separate and installing it myself. Apparently my mistake.
>>
>>52037978

underrating post
>>
EFI seems to have weird issues when restoring system images. i can never get a restoration to work unless i use the clean command in diskpart first
>>
>>52037887
Well... Have you tried to take out the HDD and put the SSD on the first disk?
>>
>>52038268
M.2 SSD. Standard HDD. Won't work.
>>
>>52038243
look into https://system76.com/
>>
I tried to reinstall Windows on some cheap HP laptop with UEFI and Windows 8x32 preinstalled.

Shit did not boot from Windows 7x32 DVD, WIndows 8 x32 DVD, but booted fine from Windows 7x64 DVD. I hated it.
>>
File: bait5.png (53 KB, 359x360) Image search: [Google]
bait5.png
53 KB, 359x360
>>52037887
>>
>>52038375
i had this problem to. had to make a UEFI usb installer using a mixture of files from the x64 and x86 isos
>>
why is coreboot not standard?
>>
Ask this guy what he did
http://blog.gonzih.me/blog/2015/12/11/arch-linux-on-lenovo-ideapad-y700-15/
>>
>>52038418

holy crap
>>
>>52037887
>running any windows past 7
lmao serves you right faggot

posted from my uefi windows 7 tm machine
>>
>>52037887

>buys lenovo
>lenovo uses hardware whitelist on their firmware to prevent this shit

all your problems are from buying lenovo

>find out you have to hit shift when clicking restart starting with Windows 8 to access your BIOS/boot from other devices

no, F2/Delete/whateverthefuck still work. you can get to UEFI menu from a fucking Surface without needing Windows.
>>
>>52037887
>being tech illiterate
>crying on /g/ about it
install gentoo
>>
>>52037887
A lot of Lenovo laptops have a one key recovery button that when used to power it on will give you boot options / option to go into bios
>>
>>52037887
Did the person at the store not warn you?
>>
What happened to the Lenovo recovery partition?
>>
>>52038810
Fucking kek, the dude's working at the store don't know shit about tech, they only work there to get last year's iPhone for half the price.
>>
>>52038013
You only need one EFI partition per HDD. You can have multiple HDD each with their own EFI partition.
>>
File: 1402617946.jpg (45 KB, 880x495) Image search: [Google]
1402617946.jpg
45 KB, 880x495
>>52038856
How bizarre!
>>
>>52037887
Disabled "secure boot" and enabled "launch CSM"? If yes, try installing via dvd.
>>
>>52038940
this and make sure secureboot is disabled you idiot
>>
>>52037887
Maybe try not being poor and buy a full copy of Windows on usb like me
>>
So i can access the BIOS fine and change boot order fine with UEFI on.
What's wrong with you?
Are you 12?
>>
>Thinkpad is my first computer that supports UEFI
>decide to do the whole Windows install with UEFI instead of traditional BIOS
>Motherboard is now essentially bricked because I can no longer access the BIOS settings, and the Windows UEFI menu is useless
>Send Thinkpad in under warranty
>They replaced the entire motherboard
First and last time.
>>
>>52039025
write to your local politician about uefi.
>>
>>52039025
Thinkpad t530 here with win 10 installed via EFI. hammer f12 to select the boot menu
>>
>>52037887
>google, find out you have to hit shift when clicking restart starting with Windows 8 to access your BIOS/boot from other devices

no you don't. Look up your key combo for your laptop to access the UEFI settings.

OP confirmed for an idiot, everybody go home
>>
>>52040270
doesn't work if secure boot was ever turned on(all bulk purchase units come with it enabled), my x120e I got off ebay was fine with 7, tried to install loonix, an hour later motherboard is bricked, can't remove secure boot because no windows, can't install windows because secure boot.

they replaced the entire motherboard under warranty, upgraded the RAM for some reason(4GB->8GB), but it was indeed the same chassis.
>>
>>52037887
I can access the UEFI settings with F2 or Delete at boot, boot from other devices, change boot order, and install Windows from USB on my UEFI-enabled laptop without any issues whatsoever. I can even disable UEFI mode.

You mad, OP? Try not being a fucking retard and you won't have so many problems.
>>
>>52037887
actually, entering UEFI should work just fine with a key press. F2, F8, F12, Del - just try 'em.
>>
OP is a fucking retard that is dealing with 4 year old problems holy shit.
Baby's first uefi experience: The thread.
>>
Works for me.
Only issue I've had was that when I attempted to use some tool to copy my shit over to my ssd instead of reinstalling, the bootloader broke.
Reinstalling there worked perfecto fine though.
>>
>>52040627
You only needed to use a GPT compatible cloner or manually set the device and osdevice settings with bcdedit.
>>
>>52040647
I tried manually doing that, and then
>windows boots
>log in
>explorer instantly crashing and restarting 50 times per second
>can't do anything about it because you can't interact with anything
It was actually impressive.
>>
>>52037939
This is firmware-defined, not a part of the UEFI spec or EFI itself.

My board is UEFI and the only difference between it and BIOS in terms of booting is that the UEFI config menu is in full color and has little 3D animations on the top of the screen. And I'm running two OSes with no boot manager.
>>
>>52040368
Turn of secure boot in the UEFI, then.
This is not rocket science. You are on an image board dedicated to technology, it's expected that you'll have at least a basic understanding of how to use modern tech.
>>
>>52040775
Looking at the catalog right now, you would think otherwise
>>
>>52040775
>in the UEFI
what are you refering too here? if you're talking about a bios like GUI most laptops don't have these now and if they do its an emulation layer for "bios mode" booting. there are several things secure boot does, firstly it disables booting from anything but a signed image on the HDD, you can boot a live CD but only if the OS allows it, in this case the windows advanced boot menu. the second thing it does it prevents you from configuring the UEFI directly, this means even if there was a configuration tool you could run at boot like what desktop boards come with, it wouldn't be able to change any of the settings.

i think its you who is failing to grasp what's going on here.
>>
Boot to windows recovery, open cmd, type "diskpart"
"list disk"
For every disk type
"select disk 0", "clean all", "select disk 1", "clean all", etc, until you've done all the disks.
This should force your laptop to let you access the UEFI the regular way.
>>
>>52037887
>find out you have to disable secure boot and change the boot mode to legacy rather than UEFI
I don't think legacy has secure boot
>>
>>52041445
Finally, a decent answer. This isn't common knowledge for everyone. Thanks!
>>
Intel invented UEFI. Intel is the root of all evil.
>>
>>52038182
When trying to load up
>>
yeah because BIOS is so much better.
>>
Fucking agreed.

Especially.
Dellianwares.

Wont let you use Legacy unless you change your whole entire setup.
>>
You're a dumb guy op

If you can't boot into a USB with UEFI, and only BIOS, it means you need to reformat your USB to make it bootable as a UEFI device. Rufus can do this for you.
>>
>>52038311
neat, a little expensive for my taste though
>>
>>52040359
http://blog.lenovo.com/en/blog/how-to-enter-the-bios-setup-utility-or-boot-menu-with-windows-8-1/

With the default settings, OP is right - you can't get to the BIOS without doing a full shutdown which isn't what Windows 8+ normally does anymore
>>
>>52042684
Kek
>6.4TB SSD raid 10
>256 GB RAM
>2 24 thread xeons

Jesus what a beast.
>>
>>52037887
>buy new laptop
>press f11, get to bios
>secureboot is already disabled
>use LiLi to make a live USB
>boot into usb
>install Arch
>done

ur a dumb nigger aintcha
>>
>>52037887
KEK should have bought a dell my 15" a6 shitbox runs w10 and mint dualboot fine ya cunnnnnnnnnnt merry xmas
>>
>>52041440
>most laptops don't have these now
What cuckoldry is this? My 2015 Thinkpad Yoga Pro 3 has it, and it's half tablet.
You can just go in and turn off secure boot if you want to. Other laptops seriously don't have this?
>>
>>52037887
>>52037887
I installed Win 10 on a M.2 PCIe SSD just last week.
I've had issues too, finding the right settings in the UEFI of my X99-Deluxe. But it sounds more like you're battling with a locked down UEFI more than anything else.
I also had no problem installing Windows a second time while my older install was still on my Sata SSD.
>>
The fuck are you talking about? I just hit the delete key after post to enter the BIOS. Is this some laptop only bullshit or what?
>>
It's not UEFI that's shit, its your laptop's implementation of UEFI that's shit.

If it doesn't give you at least a second to press F2/DEL to open the config (like an old BIOS) then it's shit.

The "hold shift" is the *Windows* boot options and has nothing to do with UEFI, though it does let you access the UEFI.

Macs have had EFI (older version of UEFI) since they started using Intel CPUs, and you changed the boot device by holding down alt while booting.
>>
This will teach you fuckers to buy perfectly good 2nd hand laptops instead of being consumerist pricks and buying brand new
>>
>>52041592
You are retarded. I found this after 5 minutes of googling when I had issues migrating from mbr to gpt.
>>
>>52037887
>babby's first uefi laptop
>op is too retarded to boot into the bios
>he's also too retarded to use rufus to make a gpt compatible bootable usb drive
>hurr, durr things are different and I can't use google
>so I reach the conclusion that uefi is shit

OPs story in a nutshell. Since when did /g/ become so stupid?
>>
File: b8.png (49 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
b8.png
49 KB, 625x626
this whole fucking thread is bait

no one can be this mentally retarded
>>
This isnt a uefi issue, this is a windows issue
>>
>>52037887
>UEFI is shit
>because I buy from some vendor who imposes whitelists and shitty UEFI implementations
If you really know about BIOS and UEFI you will know that the last is a godsend compared with the first. The only problem is that you
>>
Scrub. UEFI is that shit with the laggy mouse and shitty "nice" graphics that you use to modify bois settings. 1998 bios was faster. Yeah that pic is of windows 10 or 8 recovery part.
>>
>>52045664
U got a second here.
>>
>>52046614
Every UEFI I used supported the keyboard control in the very same way a BIOS does, and it's just as fast.
>>
I think this was a not so succesful attempt by microshit to make it harder for people to try other OS? People learned how to flash their stuff with new firmware but I'm sure they'll find a way.
>>
>people freak out UEFI would make installing linux harder
>instead it makes installing windows harder
kek top
>>
The thing that keeps me from ever using UEFI is that it uses a FAT32 fs for the efi.

I'll stick to MBR thanks.

I wonder if Coreboot or Libreboot allow you to use a different filesystem other than FAT?
>>
>>52046136
>because I buy from some vendor who imposes whitelists and shitty UEFI implementation.
Give me one vendor that doesn't impose a whitelist?
>>
>>52042684
There's also Zareason.
>>
Recently manufactured Lenovo laptop?

>Power off the laptop, power it on by pressing the One-Key Recovery button (it's REALLY small)
>It brings you into the boot menu, select UEFI Setup
>turn off secure boot and enable CSM/Legacy boot

Congrats. You can now install whatever OS you want.
>>
>>52049085
that may be how it's supposed to work but it's not, many new laptops still don't have a one key recovery feature. but let's face it, uefi is a shit solution to a problem that didn't really exist
>>
Not all UEFI menus look like that, each manufacturer can add its own skin.

Also fuck the old BIOS, it was literally a patchwork for shit since the 80s made to work with todays hardware.
You want fucking progress ? sometimes you need to start with a clean slate instead of just heaping new shit ontop of the old shit and praying it works/making work arounds

> This is the most consumer unfriendly shit I have ever seen. This laptop is going back. Fuck.
Have you actually see what BIOS looked like ? how is that more friendly ? are you too stupid to navigate through a few menus ? Go buy a mac
>>
>>52049265
heaping new shit onto a clean slate isn't any better than heaping old shit on top of other old shit
>>
>>52049265
Their "clean" slate was made of shit. Unless you have a better idea don't reinvent the fucking wheel. Beside MBR limitations what good has UEFI brought?
>>
>>52037887
Step 1: With original HDD, go into bios. Disable secure & eufi, enable legacy boot options.
2. Now swap HDD with SSD, and now plug in usb with windows installer.
3. Boot up, hitting all the f keys or w/e to get to boot choices
4. Select usb device from list
>>
File: oh noes.png (32 KB, 924x358) Image search: [Google]
oh noes.png
32 KB, 924x358
>>
>>52037887
Try itb with f2 during boot it directly b pos me v in the bios like part of the uefi
>>
>>52038311
what an awful website
>>
File: original[1].jpg (58 KB, 855x286) Image search: [Google]
original[1].jpg
58 KB, 855x286
Don't all Lenovo laptops have a button to access the BIOS?
>>
Mandatory video :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUeCZ72eZkY
>>
>>52037887
One of the F keys probably boots the UEFI configuration, you just hit it during preboot. Ya silly goose.
Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.