[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My brother brought home an Nvidia Tesla K40 from his work after
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3
File: 41nYmEudpmL._SL1500_.jpg (19 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
41nYmEudpmL._SL1500_.jpg
19 KB, 500x500
My brother brought home an Nvidia Tesla K40 from his work after it was replaced in his workstation due to coil whine.
He doesn't have a need for it at home, but I don't know what to do with it, it doesn't have any output, how do you render games on it? Do you use the Intel HDMI output on the motherboard?
>>
Do folding@home or something
>>
Set up a waifu2x web service
>>
You could us it for folding or something like that. Or sell it and put the money towards something else.
>>
They sell used for $1,800 on ebay
>>
>>52032874
>Not enjoying coil whine

Casual fucks I tell ya hwat.
>>
>>52032874
>Nvidia Tesla
How do you use those things? They don't appear to have any monitor ports on them.
>>
You don't use it as a monitor output. You put in your pc, and use it for rendering. The software of choice, and closes GPU rendering and then you chose the card.
>>
Fucking nigger mobile^

What I meant to say was: in your software, you chose gpu rendering, and then you chose your tesla card. Boom, gpu rendering.
>>
>>52033669
>>52033687
Not OP but would a tesla card be good for bitcoin mining?
>>
>>52033729
No.
A Tesla is a GPGPU, so you don't use it for graphics rendering.
You use it for physics simulation and running raw FP64 computations.
>>
>>52033521
You need an application that supports GPGPU like Octane or iRay, or a folding program. These kinds of programs don't care how your cards are set up, you don't even need an SLI bridge to have multiple cards perform the same task.

>>52033729
Nvidia cards are pretty shit at that.
>>
>>52033775
Maxwell cards gets more hash than GCN
>>
>>52033790
K40 is Kepler.
>>
File: 1404120490700.jpg (80 KB, 1140x475) Image search: [Google]
1404120490700.jpg
80 KB, 1140x475
>steal a $3000 GPGPU
>doesn't know what to do with it
>wants to play games on it
>>
Sell it and buy a whole new PC for the price.
>>
>>52032942
This
>>
>>52032874
If you don't know how to use it, it would probably just be wise just to sell it and buy a gaming PC for the money, pleb.
>>
>>52033775
So how would I use it in my rig? Could I just slot it in place of my current card and off I go, how would I get a signal to my monitor?
>>
>>52034277
Retard, that card is not meant for gaming. It's for GPU computation (simulations etc.). The only pleb use I see for it is cracking WPA2 passwords.
>>
>>52034277
use it for training deep neural nets.
>>
How to use an Nvidia Tesla for gaming:

>implement D3D/OpenGL in CUDA/OpenCL
>write frame from the card to the frame buffer of your other GPU/iGPU
>enjoy 500ms input-lag with shitty performance
>>
>>52034277
Tesla cards are coprocessors, their only function is to crunch data that is more suitable for highly-parallel processing tasks than your CPU would be capable of, as a result it has to be used in conjunction with another GPU for video display.

For instance, a typical workstation would have a Quadro for display output and a Telsa (or three) for rendering, this would allow you to leverage GPU power for intense processing tasks, while still having smooth multi-tasking performance since display GPU is free to do whatever. This would let you adjust a 3D model in real time while seeing a detailed rendered preview at the same time.
>>
>>52034957
Thankyou. At least someone has the common courtesy to explain this stuff to a beginner like me unlike the other two niggers.
>>
>>52035015

Still makes it functionally useless for the common pleb.
>>
all these gamer fags who don't understand what this card is for, baka desu
>>
Generate some sick trips.
>>
OP, if you're still here, I'd be happy to take it off your hands and put it to good use doing protein folding simulations.
>>
>>52035032
Normal people don't have any use for this at home and I am suspicious of anyone who claims otherwise.
>>
File: image.jpg (26 KB, 250x377) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
26 KB, 250x377
>>52032874
How du I run my gaymes on it????!????!!!
>>
Nice PhysX card.
>>
rent out rendering services to /3/. make it cheap, have a nice little website.
>>
See how many Trips/s it generates tripcodes at.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.