[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there still any sense holding out on upgrading to Windows
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5
File: 200px-10-profile.png (68 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
200px-10-profile.png
68 KB, 200x200
Is there still any sense holding out on upgrading to Windows 10? My biggest problem when it came out was privacy; has that been resolved or is W10 still a gigantic botnet?
>>
Resolved? It was never a bug to be resolved, it's an integral feature of W10 that you have no control over your computer.
>>
>>52028318
Resolved from a user standpoint that it's effectively spyware. It just seems that nobody mentions it these days.

Is everyone already in 10? No Linux bros suggesting trying out Linux please. I've already been there.
>>
Just call it cloud integration or some bullshit and be happy with it.
Or switch to something with a philosophy you agree with.>>52028318
>>
i still use 8.1. I've seen there's tutorials to stop the botnet, but they're restored with the next update, so then you'd have to turn off updates for your computer which you can't do for windows 10, so you'd have to block Microsoft addresses to stop updates and if you have no updates you might as well just switch to a new os at that point...
>>
File: malware.jpg (2 MB, 2720x2863) Image search: [Google]
malware.jpg
2 MB, 2720x2863
>>52028285
Don't listen to the tinfoil hat neckbeards. Windows 10 is free and great. Upgrade to windows 10 today good goy.
>>
>>52028383
Windows 7 enterprise doesn't have any of the windows 10 'upgrade' rubbish in updates.
>>
>>52028340
W7 user here.

When I stop receiving news stories about how much of a buggy mess it is, I'll consider upgrading.

From the spyware aspect I'd assume it's the same deal as it was to start with and use a restrictive firewall to control what comes out of your PC. I've been doing that for years though so w/e. I tested W10 shorlty after release to see how leaky it was with a firewall in place and it didn't appear to circumvent it according to packet monitors, but I'd test it again before I switched to it as I wouldn't put it past Microsoft to do such a thing.
>>
>>52028285
>RESOLVED WORKSFORME
>This is no bug, it's working fine.

https://bugs.microsoft.com/31337/
>>
It's okay. More usable than 8. Awful crash recovery. I think it's my graphics card, but it's an nvidia and that should really be fixed by now. I'm slowly moving more and more into my virtual machine though. I need it for sbcl, mostly. Only reason I have it is because my friends won't move from their proprietary voice chat program.
>>
File: 1419369672173.png (74 KB, 500x449) Image search: [Google]
1419369672173.png
74 KB, 500x449
Installed windows 10 since the first time it was offered to me and haven't had a single problem with it since.

Get fucked meme spouting shills
>>
>>52028340
Use Linux or just accept the botnet. There are scripts to remove some parts of the botnet, but you have to change the scripts and run them after every update. And the updates are forced and automatic. Unless you have pro (still automatic updates, but at least you can decide when to restart.) windows 7 and 8 also have botnet or pieces of botnet hidden in updates so that won't save you. If you want to control your own computer then Linux is the only option. Just learn to accept the botnet.. Microsoft collect personal information, pictures and files to make windows better. And to make sure people don't install pirated software and etc.
>>
File: 2015-12-20 21_52_53-Greenshot.png (2 MB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-20 21_52_53-Greenshot.png
2 MB, 1366x768
>>52028285
no, win10 is still a gigantic botmnet resource hog and the only reason I'm using it is becuase I'm literally too dum to install arch or gentoo which are the only true non-botnet distros

I pity myself when I realise there are people like you who can read and have a choice between what you want
>>
Why are people brainwashed into thinking "change" is a functional "upgrade"?

Does your OS run your applications in a stable, reliable manner? If yes, why change OS?

Another question, why don't people curious about an OS RUN IT IN A FUCKING VIRTUAL MACHINE before installing it on bare metal?

So easy a child can do it, and you can recover or restore to a clean state by booting a previous snapshot.
>>
>>52031589
>If yes, why change OS?
Sadly, it won't stay like that.
At some point, there will be software or hardware not supported by your old OS anymore. So sooner or later you'll have to switch.
>>
Windows 10 is a fucking clusterfuck. I have been using it since day one and I'm too lazy to do something about it.
>>
>>52028285
No, it hasn't been resolved.
Telemetry is still mandatory and cannot be disabled.

Also forced updates and forced automatic downloading of ads.
>>
>>52028423
Do you really think that microsoft made a little icon wich shows up in your taskbar when they are spying? lol, ofcourse you dont notice that, but it is also in win7.
>>
File: 1435716412902.jpg (174 KB, 460x690) Image search: [Google]
1435716412902.jpg
174 KB, 460x690
>>52028285
>My biggest problem when it came out was privacy
>any Windows
>privacy
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.