[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are multiprocessor boards still a thing? Or is it better to buy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4
Are multiprocessor boards still a thing? Or is it better to buy one fast processor?
>>
>>52026927
Install gentoo
>>
>>52026927

I seem to recall seeing a dual processor Intel server board recently.

But for most uses, multicore is plenty.
>>
>>52027324
This. Gentoo on any processor configuration always gives the highest frame rates and resolution. My kd ratio on halo tripled when I switched my Playstation to gentoo.
>>
>>52026927
No, they aren't still a thing. During summer 2015 when you started browsing /g/ hundreds of thousands of servers disappeared from data centers across the globe.
>>
File: 1438577260386.png (335 KB, 848x480) Image search: [Google]
1438577260386.png
335 KB, 848x480
Sure are, but for 99 percent of users, a single CPU with a few cores will be plenty of power (and cheaper).

Server / workstation equipment is exceedingly expensive, as it's specialized equipment. I suppose if you're rendering and doing lotso content creation, you could get one, but really, it's not worth it unless a company is paying for it.

They also don't have a lot of equipment that enthusiast boards have.
>>
>>52027361
>My halo kd on my PlayStation
I lel'd
>>
>>52027324
It is the reason I am asking. To to install gentoo I want to get a computer with a faster processor.
>>
>>52027377
I see. I remember discussion about these boards when first multi-core processors were becoming a thing.

But I wasn't interested in processors since. Thanks.
>>
the only processors that go on any modern multi cpu boards (assuming amd64) are fast ones.
>>
>>52026927
They are incredibly overpriced and you can often get equal or better performance using an overclocked desktop cpu (in stuff like rendering that actually makes use of all cores)
>>
>>52026927
>theres a cpu on the board
>no ram slots

Wat
>>
>>52027519
Thanks. I won't be rendering, only installing gentoo.
>>
>>52027547
Well, they are even worse for applications that don't use a lot of cores
>>
>>52027375
leave it alone. retarded kids cannot imagine pcs could be used not only for fallout. he wants to buy something for home, i assume.

do you think they can understand how diskless blades, software defined storage systems, fc sans, bonded nics, redundant services, etc. are workink or even existing?
>>
>>52027527
I can see two ram slots, horizontally, next to the CPU sockets m8.
>>
Am I blind or did they stop puting RS232 headers in workstation motherboards?
So one should buy a shitty pci card along their super expensive mother board just to use serial connections?
>>
>>52027771
they tend to leave rs232 out. i rarely see it nowadays.
>>
Depends on what you're using it for, most my coworkers and myself all have essentially high-power servers we use for drafting and 3d rendering.
>two xeon e74850's
>two amd firepro w9100's
>128gb of meme ddr4

But the average user or even heavy gamer wont need anything like that, ever.
>>
>>52027771

Serial over Ethernet. It is pretty wizard.
>>
I've seen some quad socket motherboards, not sure if you can get more than that.
>>
$500 for 24 cores is nice
>>
They are at the very high end, but you're firmly in diminishing returns a long way before then. Also, Xeon E5s and E7s aren't necessarily faster than the high-end overclocked i7s for single-threaded stuff. They have more L3 cache, more ECC RAM, but not really more bus than they used to, and NUMA is a disadvantage.

I haven't seen an 8-socket board in a while, 4's the limit now I think, unless someone can show otherwise?
>>
>>52026927
You can buy 8-socket shitboxes if you want.

>Or is it better to buy one fast processor?
When money and the application's ability to make use of multiple cores is not an object, would you rather have a fast quad core or a fast eight core CPU?
>>
>>52028496
>would you rather have a fast quad core or a fast eight core CPU?

Would you rather have a one eight core or two quad core CPU?
>>
>>52026927
i have a quad cpu server in my basement.
8 cores total.
>>
>>52028512
probably one 8 core so l2 and l3 cache is better utilized
>>
>>52026927
>4+2 phase for anything
also that is a super fucked board.
what the fuck are those extra long slots for?
>>
>>52028577
The lack of memory slots on it tells me they're for memory riser cards.
>>
>>52027377
Server/workstation kit isn't expensive if you buy used, ebay is flooded with socket 2011 stuff for cheap.

Scored a s2600cp4 for 75 and there are a plethora of e5 26xx xeons for below 200, sometimes as a pair. Too bad I'm a euro because the sellers in america are always 20% if not more cheaper.
>>
>>52028577
>4+2 phase for anything
jesus christ can you buy more in to the fucking marketing
>lots of phases = good
>>
>>52027377
Nigga I can get a dualcpu 2011-3 gaming rig for $1000
>>
>>52028512
Depends if i need the pcie lanes and the ram.
If that disnt matter, a single 8 core
>>
>>52027718
>not knowing what PCI-X is
>>
I wouldnt mess with them. If youre going for an old system, the. BCLK overclocking can get you huge improvements, and you cant do that on server/workstation boards. A single consumer x58 board running a xeon x5660 @ 4.2 GHz is way better than a dual socket 1366 board running two Xeons at 2.66 GHz.
>>
File: xeon_phi.png (131 KB, 648x392) Image search: [Google]
xeon_phi.png
131 KB, 648x392
>>52026927

People who need raw CPU power buy these.

Or the nearest equivalent.

With multiple cores per CPU, it's not quite as necessary for most people to have more CPUs for their work, and those that do, well, they use more specialized options now.
>>
>>52028577
Looks like PCI-X to me.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.