[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you build your own PCs or do you buy them fully built? What
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 4
File: gaming_pc.png (555 KB, 1609x845) Image search: [Google]
gaming_pc.png
555 KB, 1609x845
Do you build your own PCs or do you buy them fully built? What made you do decide either way?

Do you regret your decision?
>>
Prebuilts have ridiculously unbalanced parts, typically having way too much RAM and a sub-par GPU.
There is no reason NOT to build your own.
>>
>he fell for the desktop PC meme
>>
built my own. cheaper and it's fun.
>>
Built my own. Far easier to customize the looks and parts then have to decide between the few 'options' prebuilts allow when you order them. Also the price you pay for having it assembled doesn't make much sense if you can do it yourself.

Although I did short out my first 2 PSUs by using screws that were too long.
>>
>>52019228
>not just using the screws that came with the PSU

why anon?
>>
>>52019268
>twice
>>
Build it myself. Too bad I went with the mini ITX meme. Shit gives me nightmares when I think about cleaning it. Next one will be most likely a laptop or a mini tower.
>>
build my second PC a month ago after my GPU died on my old build of 4 years ago.
Don't regret a thing, it was cheaper, its better and it looks pretty.
>>
Pre-builts are always expensive and sometimes use cheap components. It's always better to build a PC yourself.

The PC in the pic you posted could be built for under $300 including a copy of a Windows OS. It also has no dedicated graphics card.

However if you don't know jack shit about computers then buying a pre-built is not a bad idea either. In that case it's better to pay a few more Benjamins to someone who knows what they're doing.
>>
>>52019685
>buying a copy of worst OS
>>
File: 1448392991591.gif (593 KB, 370x335) Image search: [Google]
1448392991591.gif
593 KB, 370x335
>>52019725
That's like your opinion man. Most people should stick to windows if they want to get things done simply because how much software support it has.
>>
prebuilt 'gaming' PCs are the worst
either go for prebuilts made by people who sell computer parts (e.g. newegg or overclockers) or build it yourself
>>
>>52019154
Build it myself. Research the parts, look at reviews of them, etc. Although not anymore since I've basically researched everything. I don't regret a single thing because now I'm able to help others decide on what to buy, make money from building computers for friends, etc.

It's also cheaper when you shop around from 3-4 different retailers.

Pre-builds sometimes throw in the stock that doesn't move and isn't the most suitable or decent.
>>
Built my own computer.

A computer with the same specs that I built would have cost, at minimum, twice as much.
>>
I'm pretty sure you get a better warranty plan on prebuilts.
>>
>>52019874
The fuck do you need a warranty for?
>>
>>52019874
>not having a warranty for each PART of your build
Keep believing that anon.
>>
>>52019685
>don't know jackshit about computers
So you get cuc.ked by the salesguy at BestBuy to buy some oversized junk with red LEDs because it looks cool and they said "gaming"
You gotta do SOME research.
>>
>>52019801
>most people should stick to windows
No, you should burn at the stake for saying that (even though I like your name senpai <3). Most people use Windows because they're ignorant. They should be educated how cancerous Microsoft is.
B...but muh
>vidya
>audio/video/image editing
>office
Supply/demand. If everyone ditched Windows, everything'll be developed for Linux.
>>
>>52020009
Not everyone wants to or has the time to. Let them get cucked, it's better for us since we can jew people out of their money.

There is literally nothing stopping you from building PCs and charging $100-200 + materials/software and selling them on ebay or starting your own pc building company.
>>
>>52020120
>Supply/demand. If everyone ditched Windows, everything'll be developed for Linux.
But that's probably never going to happen. People hate change, remember that.
>>
>>52020120
Linux is way too diversified to be understood by the general public. Also, it doesn't Just Werk like Windows does. Software installation is a huge issue on Linux. Until is as easy as it is on Windows, Linux doesn't even have a chance on the average persons pc.
>>
>>52019154
Selected all parts, but let the store build it since it was included and they gave me 2 years guarantee and free shipping. Checked the build, but apart from a few lazily routed sata cables they did a great job.
>>
>>52020157
It'll happen someday, just wait.
This is most likely a shit example, but hang in there. Smoking. Boycotting and a generation or 2 that died, severely reduced the amount of smokers.
We just have to wait until the DOS/Win95 generation dies. Windows is like java, it's only used for legacy purposes.
>>
>>52019180
>>52019685
>>52019855
Actually prebuilts haven't been that bad lately. Look at this deal on slickdeals for an HP gaming computer with a Skylake i7 and GTX 980 Ti that would cost over a few hundred dollars more to build separately.

http://slickdeals.net/share/android_app/fp/173371

If I didn't already have a gaming computer I might have brought it.
>>
>>52019154
I built. Regret nothing. If something goes wrong I can change the problematic part spending little money.
>>
>AMD A4
>people actually buy that shit
It's literally worse performance than a 2006 core 2 duo with the cheapest gpu you can find.
>>
>>52020238
There's something very wrong with that offer. No sane company or seller would sell a PC for less than what they paid materials for.
>>
Building my first PC later this week. I got for $1100 what would've cost $1500 by building it myself. It's nerve wracking to have 9 different components in 8 different shipments (curse the deal finding pcpartpicker), but I don't know that I'd pay $400 to have someone else assemble it for me.
>>
>>52020365
Please post the parts so we can make fun of you.
>>
>>52019154
I go refurbished prebuilt, I can usually get the same specs as what I would build for around the same price, and I don't gotta put shit together with my fat fingers that don't like plugging in the headers. some people say prebuilt has lower quality parts, but that shit's pretty much all built in the same factory in taiwan anyways.
>>
>>52020377
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Lk4TGX

Have at it, anon
>>
>>52020395
Unfortunately, it looks good. Nothing special, but you'll fit right in with the battlestation crew.
>mfw no more tie ripped builds in post moot ;_;
>>
Build them.

No reason at all to buy a pre-built unless you have the wrong number of chromosomes.
>>
File: 20151205_192222-2.jpg (3 MB, 3232x1547) Image search: [Google]
20151205_192222-2.jpg
3 MB, 3232x1547
>>52019154
Prebuilds are for people who do not have the time to build things , but there pro and cons for both
Pre build
Pro
>(most of the time)its ready to start all you need is to plug it in
>you won't hqve to deal with have ESD destroying your PC
>you won't have to touch the thermal compound (if your afraid)
Cons
>if something goes wrong you most likely are not going to do it your self because of buying a prebuild means you don't have the time
>sometimes the parts with the PC is too small or not needed
>rarely sometimes the OS isn't installed so ypu have to buy that too
>also if its your first time you would waist a great opportunity to build it on you own and know how to fix it

Build your own
Pros
>learn how to do it later on which is useful later on in life
>most likely less afraid of changing parts
>most likely can figure out the problem if you did it by hand
Cons
>a little bit more time consumming
>may mess up with thermal compound, or ESD
>may mess up config with partitioning the drives

Personally i build mine my self and i perfere it , its fun
>>
Price difference between building your own and buying a pre-built or configured one is negligible.
>>
>>52020697
Yeah thats true
>>
>>52020681
I'm pretty sure I just put the same cpu and mobo in a build for a relative. I also ironically pared it with a GTX 960.
>>
>>52019894
Is this bait, or do you live in Somalia?
>>
>>52020727
I have a plan where i can change the graphics card to the 970 in around may 2016 with no extra cost
>>
>>52020761
My bad, it's a different processor.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/MBzgvK
>>
>>52019154
Built mine, built like 5 of my retarded friends' gaymen PCs, built my aunt a cheap but nice $300 PC, she paid me $150 for it lol
>>
>>52020794
Oh yeah, forgot to mention the majority of my friends that I built PCs for are CS majors. lol
>>
>>52020791
Ehh good 6-core , yeah i just have an 8 core i need to use them core for something
>>
>>52020238
Regardless, as >>52019180 said, If you are literate and can follow directions, there is no reason to not build your own pc.
>>
I configured my own and paid 20 bucks extra to have it put together for me.
I kinda regret it since I really think I could've done it myself.
Anyway, someone once posted a really good deal on an high end HP prebuilt, it was actually cheaper than buying the parts seperatly.
>>
>>52020481
pls /g/
>>
>>52020917
If no one replies it's good
>>
>>52019154
>What brand of RAM is in the pre-built?
>What type of 1 TB HDD is it?
>Make and model of the motherboard?
>Reference GPU?
>Stock CPU cooler?
>What kind of PSU did they use?
If the prebuilt answers the above questions to my liking I'll happily go for it. Usually the specs are just flashy numbers though SUPERDUPER GIGAHERTZ AND OVER-THE-TOP RAM BECAUSE WHY NOT!?

Prebuilts CAN be fine.
>>
>>52020196
So we wait until "average" shifts. Admittedly, that will take a long time.
>>
>>52021015
Yes, it will. Don't expect it any time in your lifetime.
>>
>>52020238
That's fake, the parts of that cost more than that computer, also never heard of the site
>>
>>52021071
Slick deals is reputable. I wouldn't say that if I hadn't seen actual people in many communities online recommending and using it.
>>
>>52021720
It's fake or something is wrong with it, the parts alone cost more than $1000
>>
>>52020794
Did you get cucked by your own aunt? Or did she pay you $150 to assemble it and install some shit on it.
>>
I ordered the parts and got it assembled in a nearby computer store. The guy who works there chose the mobo, case, ram, dvd drive, psu, mouse and monitor based on my preferences. I chose the cpu, gpu, ssd and keyboard. He rounded the price down (-€40), assembled it for free, and he ordered the wrong mobo and had to change it last minute (I had already left), he ended up having to order a more expensive one, for which I didn't pay. So in the end I got it for ~€60 less than it's worth, and I didn't have to assemble it, which I suck at because I've got pretty big hands which make it impossible for me to reach some screws. I did re-do the cables though, and changed the positions of the fans.
>>
>>52019154
Isn't Costco the only logical place to buy prebuilts?

Like if the prebuilt is shit, just return it.
>>
>>52020196
I disagree with you on software installation being difficult. The software you may be trying to install is probably difficult to install because it isn't catered to the general public. The process is very easily automated, and I've seen it done so, but again, it depends on who's gonna be using it.
>>
>>52020325
>>52021914
Might be because they used a shitty chink psu, a non-standard mobo, a shitty hdd (and ssd if it has one), shittier cpu cooler than stock intel cooler, it's probably also got a reference gpu. And the case is probably gimped in some way too, and it probably comes with only 2 120mm fans.
>>
>>52020749
maybe he just doesn't break things...

or he's a somalian pirate and steals replacements
>>
File: IMG_20151206_020512[1].jpg (3 MB, 4000x2268) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151206_020512[1].jpg
3 MB, 4000x2268
I like to pay zero extra. That means if I have to put the parts together, I will. I consider it a learning experience too, and having learned a lot of lessons (some even this year) I find it very satisfying to assemble a computer from components.

I enjoy putting parts together and see it work. I enjoy diassembling stuff, switching cases, cable management, coming up with new ideas to put a rig together, buying used parts for my old computer to make it perform better. List goes on. The parts are always what I want them to be, not necessarily the cheapest shit they put in prebuilts.

Pic related, my old computers. Smaller one has a new cooler, though.
>>
>>52019181
>being this inbred
>>
>>52020226
that and maybe push for people to port more software to unix based/like systems. i'd be down to help companies port their codebases if it means a greater adoption rate for the os
>>
>>52020325
companies that buy parts to build these tend to get them cheaper than what we usually get them for
>>
>>52021914
Bulk discounts
>>
>>52021071
>>52021720

Idiots, Slick Deals is a referrer site, it clearly quotes the price and states "AT HP" in bold white and green you fucking retards.

The 980Ti isn't even an option anymore, max is 970.
>>
>>52019180

Too much ram? Where you from, bro?
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.