[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what do i do to further my learning once i finish this? learn
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 6
what do i do to further my learning once i finish this? learn more about algorithms and data structures?
>>
>>52011693
Write a program that actually uses them.
>>
Do exercises, don't be afraid to approach harder exercises. Learn through necessity.
>>
>>52011693
install gentoo
>>
File: 1362083347449.gif (708 KB, 260x146) Image search: [Google]
1362083347449.gif
708 KB, 260x146
>>52011707

yeah i'm taking my time through it, doing all the exercises that look like they'd be even marginally challenging. i at least pseudo-code out the ones which seem trivial. was stuck on bitwise operations for a couple nights but i've got at least a marginal handle on them now. i can't help but imagine how much easier it'd have been to learn how to think in base-2 if i'd started learning ten years ago.

>>52011702

wouldn't that kind of be like reinventing the wheel though? i mean, i'm sure there's definitely something to be gained by smashing my head against the wall until i've created inefficient and basic algorithms and data structures, but is time better spent standing on the shoulders of giants?

>>52011710

>>
>>52011693
You get inspired by great computer scientists like Edsger Wybe Dijkstra
>>
it's a bad book to learn c from, sorry senpai
>>
>>52012171

what's a better resource, then, kohai?
>>
>>52011693
I am currently reading this and would also like to know the answer as well
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Art_of_Computer_Programming
>>
>>52011693
Read pic related. Also, SICP.
>>
What's /g/ opinion on learn c the hard way?
>>
File: cover150x250.jpg (5 KB, 150x225) Image search: [Google]
cover150x250.jpg
5 KB, 150x225
Drop C, learn Swift.
>>
File: Edsger_Wybe_Dijkstra.jpg (297 KB, 1024x1365) Image search: [Google]
Edsger_Wybe_Dijkstra.jpg
297 KB, 1024x1365
>>52012049

Based Dijkstra

>Elegance has the disadvantage, if that’s what it is, that hard work is needed to achieve it, and a good education to appreciate it.

>Computer science is no more about computers than astronomy is about telescopes.

>Program testing can be used to show the presence of bugs, but never to show their absence!

>The question of whether a computer can think is no more interesting than the question of whether a submarine can swim.

>The use of COBOL cripples the mind; its teaching should, therefore, be regarded as a criminal offense.

>Quality, Correctness, and Elegance.

>Elegance is not a dispensable luxury but a quality that decides between success and failure.

>I mean, if 10 years from now, when you are doing something quick and dirty, you suddenly visualize that I am looking over your shoulders and say to yourself "Dijkstra would not have liked this", well, that would be enough immortality for me.

>There are very different programming styles. I tend to see them as Mozart versus Beethoven. When Mozart started to write, the composition was finished. He wrote the manuscript and it was 'aus einem Guss' (from one cast). In beautiful handwriting, too. Beethoven was a doubter and a struggler who started writing before he finished the composition and then glued corrections onto the page. In one place he did this nine times. When they peeled them, the last version proved identical to the first one.

>You just cobble something together to sell. It need not be any good. As long as you can fool people into buying it you can always try to make better versions later. So then you get these version numbers even with decimals, version 2.6 or 2.7. That nonsense while Version 1 should have been the finished product.
>>
>>52011693
Learn APIs (winapi, posix api, opengl, gtk etc) and create programs that can do shit.
>>
>>52013013
it's ok
>>
File: 1304376955947.png (457 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
1304376955947.png
457 KB, 600x450
>>52013043
>Drop C, learn Swift.
Nice try, McReddit
>>
Tutorial style books are nice but for someone who already done them and wants something more in depth I could recommend the GNU C Reference Manual, it's sweet as fuck
>>
>>52011754
What the fuck do you mean? You have to actually write a program with the techniques you learned to even be able to claim you actually learned them...
>>
>>52013501
A systems language with predictable memory management, a package manager, good terse syntax and speeeeeeed.
>>
>>52011707
this. until you have completed every single exercise in the book you have not "finished" it at all.
>>
>>52013753
C is perfectly predictable when you do it right

And Swift sure as hell isn't a systems language
>>
>>52011693
'Practice of programming', it's my bible. it gives you very valuable practices and teaches most common algorithms and data structures

if you'll go commercial then i'd suggest you 'writing solid code', which teaches how to write bug free C code.
>>
>>52011693
Learn the basic data structures and implement them in C, learn how to use the most common libraries (readline, curl, sqlite, etc.).

Then move on to a completely different language like Haskell.
>>
>>52014330
>>52013542

i didn't start from absolute 0. i've had basic experience with the principles of programming since high school so there's a fair bit (especially earlier on in the book) that was already somewhat in my wheelhouse. i didn't skip anything completely though, and definitely have worked on anything that i knew would be at least moderately challenging. i understand that the only way to really learn how to code is to actually code and that reading the book by, in, and of itself is intrinsically a worthless exercise.

thanks for all the input.

would learning rust be a good way to get my feet into more modern programming languages after i've got a decent foothold with C? i've heard good things
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.