[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some ways you have used Linux to make yourself more
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: 2001 a just do it odyssey.jpg (53 KB, 1080x540) Image search: [Google]
2001 a just do it odyssey.jpg
53 KB, 1080x540
What are some ways you have used Linux to make yourself more productive.

I have crontabs that will automatically open or killall certain programs through out my day, depending on what tasks I have scheduled for myself ahead of time.

I have a series of mp3's of my own voice reminding me what specifically I want to do with the on screen application and what my allotted amount of time is.

I have crontabs from within root that periodically block or unblock certain productivity draining sites (such as 4chan) from the /etc/hosts file.

My life on my computer is not beginning to feel like one long game. Does anyone else have any other advice on computer productivity?
>>
>>52010471
Fuck up bitch. Lick my asshole cunt destroyer.
>>
Get some self control fag.
>>
>>52010471
literally autism the post.
>>
>>52010471
Holy shit. I need to so this OP.
>>
>>52010706
Fag
>>
>>52010471
I try using the hosts file for the most part.

Don't listen to the samefags. What's crontab?
>>
File: 1438710962757.jpg (11 KB, 250x168) Image search: [Google]
1438710962757.jpg
11 KB, 250x168
>>52010734
crontab is a daemon that runs in the background. If you type "crontab -e" into your terminal you can edit it in vim to schedule applications being run at certain times.

To be honest, crontab was written by some fags who thought it was a good idea to put the MINUTE value right before the HOUR value and not put any value for a SECOND, but it works just fine.
00 08 *   *   *     sudo -iu momf DISPLAY=:0 mpv Good\ Morning\ \(LG\ Cyon\ Morning\ Alarm\)-RbiEESkyaeM.mp4

Plays a wake-up video on MINUTE: 0 of HOUR: 8 in the morning, which is why I always leave my volume on my computer speakers all the way up.

01 * * * * sudo -iu momf DISPLAY=:0 mpv ~/pr/alternate.mp3
31 * * * * sudo -iu momf DISPLAY=:0 mpv ~/pr/alternate.mp3

both play an audio clip of me reminding myself to sit up straight, and not slouch.
>>
>>52010734
>I try using the hosts file for the most part.

*  0  *   *   *    cp /etc/allow /etc/hosts
* 4 * * * cp /etc/deny /etc/hosts & killall iceweasel

copies a hosts file that unblocks my trivial websites for 4 precious hours and reblocks for the rest of the of day while also killing the browser to more harshly remind me to stay on my toes.
>>
>>52010471
Holy shit. You literally have autism if your not kidding. I wonder what kind of productivity you do on your computer you fucking neet.
>>
>>52011218
>Holy shit. You literally have autism if your not kidding.
I have been diagnosed with high functioning aspergers syndrome.
>I wonder what kind of productivity you do on your computer you fucking neet.
Everyday I am learning more about how to code and working diligently on my personal novel, and life memoirs (which admittedly no one will want to read except for me unless something interesting starts happening in my life to make it like an action movie or something) as well as some screenplays I'm working for sitcoms (or shitcoms as they may be called) simply because they are the best way to get recognition in Hollywood as a writer-director.
I'm passionate about what I do, and I go to college where I hang out with friends in the cafeteria and have a fatass girl (chubby chaser) who's happy to be with any man who won't tell her to fuck off and she's happy to help around my dorm that I share with friends and do dishes and shit.

My life might not be normal per se, but I like it well enough.
>>
>>52011218
>the epic autism maymay
Please go back to reddit or lurk more.
>>
>mp3 files
>not FLACs
It's like you literally want to cuck yourself out of the beauty of your own voice.
>>
>>52010471
>I have a series of mp3's of my own voice reminding me what specifically I want to do with the on screen application and what my allotted amount of time is.
dude what lmao

how old are you

are you autistic?
>>
>>52011657
>double carriage returns
Redditor detected
>inability to understand simple concepts or express a compete thought in 33% of own post
Proud black man detected.
>Autism query
>>52011281
Illiterate shitposter detected
>>
>>52011386
>It's like you literally want to cuck yourself out of the beauty of your own voice.
Its not worth the effort on my low quality speakers.
>>
>what have I done to be more productive?
I have written a bunch of scripts I run when I plug in hardware (udev)
Other scripts are run via hotkeys.
I prefer to communicate with myself through notifications rather than record my own voice but if it works for you...
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.