[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
CLRS is too hard for me
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3
File: Clrs3.jpg (50 KB, 420x475) Image search: [Google]
Clrs3.jpg
50 KB, 420x475
I work as a software engineer but my algorithms knowledge is shaky at best so I'll probably get stuck at this company unless I improve my skills. I want to learn CS properly but pic related is too hard for me. I can understand the general explanations of what each algorithm does and what it's about, but the math is too challenging and I can't really solve the book problems.

So /g/, what math should I study so I can understand the book properly and solve the problems without much trouble?

Do you recommend any other material for study?
>>
Watch a Harvard lecture series on YouTube.
>>
>>52006845
>CLRS too hard
>CE requires double the math courses of CS
how retarded are you?
>>
>>52006845
http://staff.uny.ac.id/sites/default/files/pendidikan/Musthofa,%20S.Si.,M.Sc./ebooksclub.org__Set_Theory_and_Logic.pdf

Also, all the MIT opencourseware about the same
>>
>>52006845
as far as i remember that book wasn't that hard to understand.
get a whatever mit/berkeley/etc suggests for their math classes in the first 2 semester and study it
>>
Read this instead its better

http://algs4.cs.princeton.edu/home/
>>
>>52007174
Im what way is it better?
>>
>>52007254
read it and find out you stupid cunt

or cry because you cant into fundemental datastructures and algorithms

OP just learn

* basic big O notation
* sorting (quick / merge / insertion / selection)
* graph theory
* heaps
* linked lists
* hashtables
* stacks / queues

those are your real "core" shit you should know, every other algorithm / data structure stems from these.
>>
>>52007276
>i dont know the answer to your question so ill just meme away

Have you read both books?
>>
>>52007344
im not the one who needs help
>>
>>52006845
>software engineer
programmer
>>
File: 1433291853524.jpg (42 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1433291853524.jpg
42 KB, 500x500
What do I need to learn to understand what the fuck they're talking about in an intro to algorithms book?
>>
>>52009211

intro to discrete math
it's the basis of cs

math involving calculus isn't used too often in writing code unless that's your professional speciality. It may be used to analyze algorithms, such as if you need to profile functions using big-o, etc.
>>
File: ArtOfComputerProgramming.jpg (19 KB, 220x310) Image search: [Google]
ArtOfComputerProgramming.jpg
19 KB, 220x310
>>52006845
I honestly feel TAOCP is an easier read than Introduction to Algorithms.

That is not to say that TAOCP is an easier text. Knuth's explanations are just more thorough, honest, and forgiving to programmers who have no idea what they are getting into.

If you want to start from square one, I would suggest picking up volume 1 of TAOCP. The first volume covers discrete math, computer architecture, and data structures, so it'll keep ya' busy. The whole thing is designed to be read cover to cover, skipping whatever math is too difficult (Knuth himself admits most of it should be skipped!)

I have Introduction to Algorithms on my shelf, and it's a great book, but if I'm stumped and I don't want to hurt my brain, I reach for TAOCP most of the time. TAOCP actually has answers in the back, something that cannot be said for Intro to Algorithms.
>>
t. pajeet
>>
>>52009657
Knuth killed me with MIX
>>
Why do people love Introduction to Algorithms 3rd Edition so much?

It's absolutely shit. Every chapter about each topic is better explained by the equivalent wikipedia page. Not only that, the pseudo code it gives for all the major algorithms are shit too.
>>
>>52006845
Are you daft nigga?
I'm a high-school senior and I understand a lot of CLRS (in b4 underage, I'm 18)

Start from the beginning, read a book on proofs (velleman's book is pretty good), read concrete mathematics and then try CLRS
>>
>>52009657
>taocp easier than CLRS
hell no dude, most of the material in TAOCP is very formalized and it's intended as a reference text

CLRS literally walks you through a lot of algorithms step by step and holds your hand if you don't understand it the first time.
>>
>>52012235
understanding a lot of something isn't the same as understanding all of something m8. can you do all the problems correctly?
>>
>>52009447
any good book/material on basic discrete math? im still not solid on induction
>>
>>52006845
>math on CLRS is hard
i don't understand this meme. It's just basic algebra n shit to explain algorithms.
>>
>>52006845
The appendix includes literally all the math you need.
>>
Testing

(A ∪ B) \ (A ∩ B)
>>
>>52009447
This guy knows what's up.
>>
>>52006880
CE barely does math

t. CS & Math double major
>>
MIT OCW 6.042 - the whole of it.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.