[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just failed my job interview at my dream country. How do I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3
File: 0pjLMgz.jpg (2 MB, 1528x2136) Image search: [Google]
0pjLMgz.jpg
2 MB, 1528x2136
I just failed my job interview at my dream country. How do I kill myself?

It was a position as a System Administrator. During the technical questioning, I panicked and went full spaghetti. Dude asked me how much memory the machine had, I show them /proc/meminf, see 5XXXXX kB and go "Oh this machine obviously has 50GB of memory".

IT manager asked me to make a backup of the webserver configuration files. I go into /etc/ make a compressed backup using tar but fuck up and place the backup INTO /etc/ with the folder name of the configuration file. Next task is to start the webserver and I get an error because obviously now the apache2 configuration folder is a binary. I don't even realize that I fucked up and think it's an intended obstacle like in the other tasks, basically start fixing my own fuck-up.
>>
Don't give up.
>>
>>52006482
Overdose on illegal drugs, but if you are a man then go on a leftist shooting spree.
>>
File: suicide.gif (987 KB, 500x335) Image search: [Google]
suicide.gif
987 KB, 500x335
>>52006541
Thanks. I'm just so disappointed of myself. The tasks were incredibly easy and I basically can't believe I screwed up this bad.

It was the perfect position....
>>
>>52006482
Is that Jean Reno?
>>
>>52006482
It's okay anon. Bigger mistakes have been made.

Like your birth.
>>
>>52006482
Give up
>>
>>52006482
As long as you learned from your mistakes you won't make them the next time.

And if those cunts couldn't recognize that you made some silly mistakes because of nerves but that you actually know your shit then fuck them you wouldn't want to work for those assholes anyway.

Hang in there anon, we're all gonna make it.
>>
>>52006805
Thanks for the kind words anon. What's with /g/ being so nice today?

>>52006738
>>52006797
Ah, never mind.
>>
>>52006623
There is no such thing as the perfect position. Don't give up!
>>
At least you didn't earn a degree in a field with projected growth of 0% for the next decade.
>>
Going to hijack this thread because I got a relevant question. Is it okay to re-apply for a position after a failed initial application?
>>
>>52006945
My field had a projected growth of -14% for the next decade when I graduated and I got a great job right out of college.
>>
My job interview I was asked to hack the Gibson.
Of course i easily hacked it and got the job because I stay ice cool.
As i rollerbladed off down the street I heard hr yell out to me that I'm hired.
>>
>>52006805
>And if those cunts couldn't recognize that you made some silly mistakes because of nerves but that you actually know your shit then fuck them you wouldn't want to work for those assholes anyway.

That's literally every technology interviewer since like 2001.
>>
>/proc/meminf

free -m
>>
>>52006482
Where are you from and where were you aiming, anon?
>>
>>52007124
Why -m and not -h? cat /proc/meminfo is the safe bet
>>
>>52006482
give up
>>
>>52007124
I know, I know. I didn't know in that very moment...

>>52007125
Quebec and was aiming for Germany.
>>
>>52006482
Should have gone Windows
>>
>>52007142
Dunno, I always uses -m, because I associate that with "Megabytes" (dub).
>>
>>52007152
>Quebec and was aiming for Germany.
You just removed all doubt
>>
>>52006958
It's not going to do anything, they already have your application and they will go back to the pool if their original choices don't do well. Depending on the person they could be impressed by your determination or they could be annoyed. Usually the later.
>>
>>52006482
Have you actually been told you failed or what?

Because I'm pretty sure every interviewer understands that some people have a hard time working under interview conditions in comparison to general conditions, and even though you read meminfo wrong you know about your procs, you may have made a mistake in your tar command but you know how to approach troubleshooting the problem it caused, etc

He might just be a cunt though.
>>
>>52007152
kill yourself. this is not your blog. fuck off
>>
File: you-laugh-you-lose-threads.jpg (94 KB, 600x1327) Image search: [Google]
you-laugh-you-lose-threads.jpg
94 KB, 600x1327
>>52007215
No, they didn't actually say anything except that they would call me next week.

The whole situation felt so surreal. The interview was in English and I usually use a keyboard with US layout and they handed me a German one, because we're in Germany obviously. I didn't know if it would've been appropriate to change the layout so I just tried to use the German one and kept looking at the keys to find symbols like < > [ | / , etc.

The guy asked me if I can't use a keyboard and I told him that I use US layout and didn't want to change settings on the host machine and blah. He just smirked.
>>
>>52007187
I like Germany, though...
>>
>>52006623
Stop being such an edgy faggot. This will guarantee you a job.
>>
>>52006482
Keep learning and try again. Failure sucks but it is the best and cruelest teacher. Plus, you can always reapply in the future.
>>
>>52007483
Thanks for the encouragement, anon.
>>
>>52007364
For some reason, so do the "refugees". You're not one of them, are you?
>>
>>52007661
I'm a French Canadian, dude. I guess that counts for 'economic refugee' ?
>>
Ouch man, that's rough. Everyone spaghettis in their life though, dont beat yourself up over it. I can guarantee the next time you're put in that situation you'll ace it because of what happened today
>>
>>52007152
>aiming for Germany
Be glad you didn't get it, and have to live in kebab land.
Although Canada is heading that way soon, too.
>>
>>52008061

no but it makes you a fucking pussy
>>
>>52007337
Europoor here, Germany is one of the worst countries in the EU, you dodged a bullet.
>>
>>52007152
>germany
why not norway?
>>
>>52006805
>And if those cunts couldn't recognize that you made some silly mistakes because of nerves but that you actually know your shit then fuck them you wouldn't want to work for those assholes anyway.
This is way too much. Do you want to fuck OP?

>>52006958
add dick pic for reasons

>>52007337
>The whole situation felt so surreal. The interview was in English and I usually use a keyboard with US layout and they handed me a German one, because we're in Germany obviously. I didn't know if it would've been appropriate to change the layout so I just tried to use the German one and kept looking at the keys to find symbols like < > [ | / , etc.
This was your first fuck up. Your reasoning sounds really faggy, OP. However, your pic is Germany approved, t 2bh.
>>
that was a good movie op
>>
>>52007152
>Germany
>perfect

oh boy
>>
>>52006482
get super drunk + CO_2 poisoning
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.