[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is freedom really worth how shitty Linux is?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 110
Thread images: 12
File: 1450797515001.png (320 KB, 1590x669) Image search: [Google]
1450797515001.png
320 KB, 1590x669
Is freedom really worth how shitty Linux is?
>>
File: 1437585722320.jpg (95 KB, 724x720) Image search: [Google]
1437585722320.jpg
95 KB, 724x720
>>51999227
>Bi-daily Meme pic
>>
>>51999227
I don't even think the last thread has died yet.
Also, the text is readable on the left and not the right. Checkmate.
>>
Damn, I thought Linux would have surpassed the Windows 3.1 theme by 2015.

Correction. 2016.
>>
>>51999227
Most Linux users aren't freetards.
>>
Linux
>clean
>professional
>low on resources
>distraction free
Truly an workstation OS for the working man

WIndows
>lol gradients
>muh transparency
>700MB+ cold boot
>built in botnet
>widgets in almost 2016
Apple design, but made in India
>>
>>51999227
3 plates of curry have been dispatched in your loo, sanjeep. Also the our committee has unanimously decided to increase your shill rate to 2 rupees from the next year. Your bing account has bee upgraded to "star currynigger" class.
Throughout 2015 you have consistently tried your best to shill our product, and we are proud to see your progress.
-Krishna
Dept. of international marketing
Poo, India
>>
>>51999731
Are you fucking retarded? The left pic is JUST X11, not even a DE or WM, so it's the most basic GUI you can get. Yes, I know your post ia shitty bait, but I felt the need to point that out.

>>51999227
GNU/Linux is only shitty if you have no idea what you're doing and don't want to learn, ie. Windows baby duck syndrome
>>
>>52000744
/thread
everyone go home, threads over.
>>
linux is only as shit as the shitter using it
>>
File: 1450455057524.gif (1 MB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1450455057524.gif
1 MB, 250x250
>wangblows
>no scripting
>no keybinding
>no workspaces
>no alternate window managers
>no alternate DEs
>no decent video player
>no good CLI tools
>no rsync
>no rtorrent
>no mpd
>no qemu-kvm
>no iptables
>no mimetypes
>shitty file permissions
>no control over your OS
>can't restart kernel without rebooting
>can't install drivers without rebooting
>the registry
>costs money
>has to reboot all the time
>NTFS
>defragmenting
>forced to update things you don't know/want
>telemetry
>NSA backdoor
>no gcc
>no coreutils
>not POSIX
>DOS
>native ssh since like 2 months ago
>no market share in anything that isn't desktop
>only redeeming quality is that you can play video games
>>
>>52001160
>only redeeming quality is that you can play video games

Once Vulcan is adopted they won't even have that.
>>
>>52001160
>>no market share in anything that isn't desktop
Windows server 2008 r2... dude, have you ever set foot inside any SOHO network?
>>
>>52001160
Once vulkan comes out and starts getting used, there will be literally no excuse to use windows anymore. 2016 truly is the year of desktop linux, I just know it.
>>
>>52000744
>He thinks using a clone of a 1970's mainframe OS makes him a super special snowflake hacker
No, making your life more difficult through arbitrary means isn't something to be proud of. What, because it gives you more "internet cred" you think it's worthwhile? It paints you as a NEET autist who has nothing better in his life but to spend his entire days fucking around with an OS, trying to get everything in working order.

Linux is like a very old submersible in disrepair that you constantly have to run around patching holes and leaks whenever you touch anything.

Windows/OSX are like new submersibles that won't leak every time you go 5 feet deeper.

The major difference in functionality being that you got your Linux sub for free and out of the box has more functionality. A shame Windows and OSX easily replicate that functionality through third party software, or since you are so inclined to be "hacker extraordinaire", program it yourself.

Unless you are a sysadmin for a company/org too cheap to shell out for a Solaris/AIX/HP-UX mainframe and are stuck with the shitty freeware clone, Linux is a testament to how sad your life is. You have to be pretty fucking desperate to be seeking challenge from your fucking operating system.

You wouldn't daily drive a fucking race car, so why is Linux your main OS?
>>
>>52001242
>>He thinks using a clone of a 1970's mainframe OS makes him a super special snowflake hacker
It's annoying when normalfags try to project that bullshit that anyone who uses linux must be a special snowflake or whatever. How stable and functional linux is depends on your distro, debian is very stable while arch linux isn't that stable.

>Unless you are a sysadmin for a company/org too cheap to shell out for a Solaris/AIX/HP-UX mainframe and are stuck with the shitty freeware clone, Linux is a testament to how sad your life is. You have to be pretty fucking desperate to be seeking challenge from your fucking operating system.
You're projecting pretty hard here
>>
File: lel.png (61 KB, 1045x463) Image search: [Google]
lel.png
61 KB, 1045x463
>>52001222
lel
>>
Ironically, CDE and its derivatives are literally the best *nix has ever looked. Modern desktop environments simply cannot compete.
>>
>>52000643
Whitey want some bread? Or maybe a potato? Eat some food with some flavour faggot, maybe people will like you more.
>>
File: 1449001413306.png (193 KB, 330x319) Image search: [Google]
1449001413306.png
193 KB, 330x319
>>52001336
>not curry
I'm up for it, OP
>>
>>52001240
So what exactly will make people like this other Linux distro then? Try to sell it to me, a lifelong Windows user with very sporadic breaks of Linux usage
>>
File: powershell_2.jpg (35 KB, 613x480) Image search: [Google]
powershell_2.jpg
35 KB, 613x480
>>52001160
>No scripting
>No good cli tools

>Linuxfags UNIRONICALLY believe this
>>
>>52001292
>It's annoying when normalfags try to project that bullshit that anyone who uses linux must be a special snowflake or whatever. How stable and functional linux is depends on your distro, debian is very stable while arch linux isn't that stable.
Name one, and I do mean ONE good reason to use any Linux distro, when comparible functionality exists in native OSX without mentioning the obvious an inarguable benefit of being free?

>You're projecting pretty hard here
I'm not the one who thinks using a shitty microkernel combined with a pretty awful implementation of a 1970's mainframe shell that offers no I/O stream control is a good alternative to something that's designed to not be a hamper to productivity to use.
>>
>>51999762
>>52001160
This. Even using OS X is 100 times better than using pile of shit that is wangblows. Still wouldn't recommend because DRM and Apple lock-in.
GNU/Linux, on the other hand, is UNIX-like and doesn't have any kind of restrictions of use (that's why it's free, free from bullshit).
>>
>>52001379
B-b-but the botnet!

M-muh native python support

m-muh curses.
>>
>>52001365
Vulkan is not a distro, you are a moron, become an hero
>>
File: Losethos.png (13 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Losethos.png
13 KB, 640x480
>People unironically using these shitty, bloated, overdesigned operating systems
smdh
>>
>>52001379
Apple locks you down with DRM and other bullshit. Why do you care so much about what OS someone uses, you seem pretty upset by it.
>>
>>52001426
And here we have the average linux faggot.

>[upcoming year] will be the year of linux, I just know it!
>average person asks them to describe what will make people like it
>he calls them a moron
>>
>>52001365
Vulkan is a cross platform API that can compete with directx. You'll start seeing more games on linux and the common muh gaymes excuse won't be valid anymore.
>>
>>52001444
>Apple locks you down with DRM and other bullshit
Easily circumvented DRM, that's no more intrusive than a CDKey. You might have a point if it was some secuROM shit or something, but DRM isn't a catchall concept that equates to something negative. I wouldn't expect you to understand why not everybody is a control, freak, though.

I'm not the one who started the thread.

But I'm always happy to point out how dumb you are for using an OS that's a poorly designed rip off of a Mainframe and that provably negatively affects productivity, and is only useful as a cheap alternative to modern UNIX.

t. Sysadmin forced to work with a shitty rack running fedora. Would never, ever, EVER want to run any distro of Linux on any personal computer.
>>
>>52001373
>powershell_2

If you don't upgrade to at least 4 you are losing out of a many things.
>>
>>52001468
And here we have the average winbabby

>I don't understand what you're saying, is this a linux thing????
>No, try googling it
>Holy fuck I actually have to think for myself?? Linux is shit
>>
>>52001379
Cost
>>
>>52001483
>Vulkan is a cross platform API that can compete with directx
That's what they said about OpenGL.
>>
>>52001503
Wow, you really are full of yourself aren't you?
>>
>>52001515
I said that was the inarguable benefit, but I'm happy to shell out the couple hundred bucks for an OSX license if it means I don't have to work with a clusterfuck of poorly written libraries and a kernel design philosphy from 1991.
>>
>>52001240
>there will be literally no excuse to use windows anymore
Yes, there will be. For instance, not having to deal with the usability disaster that is most Linux distros (literally only Mint can kind of claim to be less of a disaster, but there is still a long way to go).
Also, not being forced, in the year 2015, to use CLI to change settings or resolve issues.
>b-but you don't need to use CLI, anon
Fucking bullshit. Go to AskUbuntu (since Ubuntu, and to a lesser extent Mint, is what normal people who try Linux use) and see how many solutions offered there start with "open the terminal and type this:". I'll save you the trouble, it's all of them.
Also, there are only inferior FOSS offerings to the vast majority of professional-usage software, the only exceptions being the ones where a given FOSS offering was already the standard in that particular market. I, for instance, cannot switch to Linux because the CAD and 3D rendering software for Linux are all absolutely shit compared to what I use in Windows (Creo, SolidWorks, Rhinoceros, V-Ray and Maxwell).

It's not Vulkan that will fix Linux, specially because Vulkan will be available on Windows as well, and they already have 95% of desktop the market. Also, Windows will keep an enormous catalog of backward compatible games after Vulkan becomes mainstream (if it becomes mainstream, because chance is that DX12 will remain the go-to choice for most developers), which Linux won't have. What will give Linux a fighting chance is, first, to fix the usability disaster. And second, to allow for commercial software, so professional usage of Linux can become viable.
>>
>>52001596
>Also, not being forced, in the year 2015, to use CLI to change settings or resolve issues.
Are you so incompetent you need a fucking GUI to hold your hand for anything that also can be done with the command line?
>>
looks ok to me OP
>>
>>52001634
>being this clueless about how normal human beings use computers
This mentality is why Linux distros today are shit and nobody on the consumer market uses them.
You can either accept how things are and make the necessary GUIs (yes, for everything), or accept that you'll forever keep your irrelevant 1%~2% marketshare, never ammount to anything in the consumer market, and fuck right off.
>>
>>52001712
I have Fedora installed on a T400 at home. My old man uses it as his daily. He needs my help for simple stuff, but he enjoys using it.
>>
>>52001634
Don't worry, he's just angry that he doesn't have a brain to grasp the concept of CLI with.
>>
>>52001712
It's really not that hard to understand the command line and any DE should come with the GUIs someone would need. But normalfags want it to be simplified and dumbed down till there is just a button that turns the computer on/off.
>>
>>52001704
>Renamon
You seen Okiyo's work?
>>
>>52001596
>not knowing how to use the command line means it's unusable.
It doesn't take that long to adjust to it at all, it didn't even take a month for me
>>
>>52001763
I think what kills people who switch to linux, is that Windows doesn't have built in docs like every distro does.

They just go to some forum with a question already answered a million times over and still can't figure it out.
>>
>not using chromeOS
>most pretty desktop there is
>>
>>52001704
Decent album.
>>
>>52001373
>Needing a thirdparty shell for it to be vent half decent
>>
>>52001775
Not a fan.
>>
>>52001816
Powershell isn't third party
>>
>>52001704
Arguing about looks on a system where you can change to look whatever you want is pointless.

That being said, your desktop looks awful. And if you're gonna use rounded corners, at least make them alpha-blended. Or make them square. That pixelated shit is disgusting.

>>52001753
>lol, look at those retards, they don't want to waste time learning outdated input methods and memorizing commands to use their computers, they are so stupid

>why don't more people use linux? I don't understand! please guise, use linux, it's good, I s-swear!

This is hilarious.

>>52001763
Well, guess what? If you want normal people to use it, you'll have to make it the way normal people want to use.

>>52001816
PowerShell is not third-party. Every indows installation has it.
>>
>>52001815
I like it a little more than Syro and Windowlicker
>>
>>52001846
>Well, guess what? If you want normal people to use it, you'll have to make it the way normal people want to use.
Catering to normalfags is the worst decision you can make.
>>
>>52001336
I would rather eat bricks for the rest of my life than live or be born in fucking india. This fucking stinking land of curryniggers deserves to be nuked.
>>
>>51999227
Why does Windows 7 have two clocks in that picture?
>>
File: 1446087472390.png (139 KB, 284x354) Image search: [Google]
1446087472390.png
139 KB, 284x354
>>52001531
>guy comes in and calls people using linux tryhards
>turns out is a professional who uses linux for his job
>still doesn't think it's a good os for a home computer
>get so assblasted that all you can do is say he's full of himself
you aren't helping prove him wrong at all. if anything you are sounding exactly like the "special snowflake" who'd get upset that someone called you out on your bullshit.
>>
>>52001313
Yea, and how many companies ask me for an exchange server.
Trust me, Microsoft is the proffered system for small to medium sized companies.
>>
>>52001873
t. Someone who will never be successful in his life.
>>
>>52001596
>Go to AskUbuntu and see how many solutions offered there start with "open the terminal and type this:". I'll save you the trouble, it's all of them.
Because CLI is an easier way to fix the problem even for users who don't want to understand shit. Before you say "muh gooee", think about it. What is easier, following GUI guides, where you have to manually find locarion of every menu and button, or the CLI guide, where all you have to do is just copypaste the input? CLI is just more suitable for solving problems, even for "make it work" users.
>>
>>52001313
>Linux barely ahead of real UNIX and Windows in servers
Pfft ahahaha.
>>
File: Desktop.jpg (1 MB, 2880x1800) Image search: [Google]
Desktop.jpg
1 MB, 2880x1800
>>51999227
deep inside yall secretly want it
>>
>>52001846
>outdated input methods
Not even, the command line gives more control over what you want done than any GUI I've seen.
The fact that you're unable to use it doesn't make them outdated
>>
>>52001971
And assembly gives more control than any other programming language, even microcode.

I'm willing to fucking bet my left ass cheek that you are one of those faggots who never bothered to learn ASM because "C is enough!"
>>
>>52001967
I honestly don't.
>>
>>52001931
Fuck off normalfag, nothing about the cli is hard, but normalfags (hint: you) are too fucking lazy to figure it out.
>>
>>52001990
I'm actually learning ASM right now, so there's that
>>
>>52001990
>>52002031
stop fooling yourself; you're not carmack or michael abrash. nowadays you're never going to use assembly skills unless you're an operating system developer. you'll probably get fired for putting inline asm on c code if you do it professionally
>>
>>51999227
No
>>
>>52002031
>I'm learning assembly so I can pretend I'm a l33t hax0r
>>
>>52002091
>He programs professionally, not as a hobby
Hope you like shit pay, tubby boy.

>>52002031
Yeah and do you expect every meme web developer, let alone every normalfag to learn assembly?
No. So why do you expect them to learn a CLI? We moved away from them for a reason.
>>
>>52001873
>please, normalfags, use linux, we desperately need more users to be relevant!

>catering to normalfags? that is stupid!

You have to have a mental disability to think like that.

>>52001932
I am aware of the merits of CLI. But the fact is that the vast majority of people do not want to use it. And case in point, you cannot use Linux without having to deal with CLI (which is retarded, there's no reason not to provide a GUI as well as the CLI command for every setting and let the user choose, other than developer laziness).

>>52001971
You're right, it's not that which makes it outdated. It's the fact that 99% of people in the planet do not want to use it that makes it outdated.
Again, I`m not saying there are no merits on CLI. Nor am I saying that the option to use CLI should be removed. But from a usability standpoint CLI is long outdated, and forcing people to use it is shooting yourself in the foot.

>The fact that you're unable to use it
And I love how you fags get so salty and defensive over this. I use Mint, you retard. I'm not a CLI genius but I know the basics. Trying to make this into a "you are not intelligent enough" ad-hominem argument is not only hilarious, but also changes nothing on the big picture of Linux. Let's assume that's the issue, me and 99% of computer users are not intelligent enough to use CLI, and Linux requires you do so. What good does that do to you and the Linux ecosystem? It will remain an irrelevant <2% OS because people can't/won't use it even if they wanted to.
You gain literally nothing by forcing CLI down people's throats. You only lose.
>>
>>52002091
Learning it since I'm going into security and I figure I'll need it
>>52002107
Partially
>>
>>52002121
>programming for free
>2015
ISHYGDDT

I guess your basement is pretty comfy.
>>
>>52001967

kinda want it. but shit, used it a couple of times and didnt really like other than trackpad.
>>
>>52002180
if you're use to linux service and compiler architecture, getting stuff to work on is shit (fuck .plist files). On linuxy things I use it as a terminal for pushing code to a linux server. also works well with java and some simple C code. still not as bad as windows for development or as linux for everyday use. I can hook it to a projector and use pthreads at the same time so it werks for me
>>
>>52002125
>You gain literally nothing by forcing CLI down people's throats. You only lose.
CLI is intrinsic to Unix and Linux.Big whoop.Don't like it? Piss off. You sound like one of those feminists or niggers who demand everyone cater to them. Number one in the desktop market means nothing.
>>
>>52002357
>Don't like it? Piss off.

>please, guise, please use linux! come back! we need more users! we have games now! steamos is linux! vulkan will make us not irrelevant. please, I beg you to use linux. 2016 year of desktop linux!

My sides.
>>
>>52002404
Said by?
>>
>>51999227
Is freedom really worth how shitty America is?
>>
>>52002448
Peple in this board, daily. And on many other sites and comment sections any time Linux and gaming are mentioned together, for example.
There are tons of people out there desperately wanting more users for Linux. but when it comes to actually addressing the issues so Linux can attract more users, you fags are incapable of doing so.
>>
>>52002404
>I'll just keep pretending every Linux user is begging people to switch over!
Why, we have nothing to gain from it. I'll just continue using my distro and not give a shit.
>>
>>52001313
>Steam OS
>0%
>>
>>51999227
I actually find the left way more appealing than the ugly, consumer pandering tacky shitfest of fake gloss and rounded buttons that was Windows 7

fvwm is cozy as fuck and very nice when you know how to use it
>>
>>52002516
See >>52002502
You in particular may not want it, but most people do.
>>
>>52002448
there are daily GNU/Linux shill threads here you fucktard
>>
>>52002125
>you cannot use Linux without having to deal with CLI
ubuntu, mint, manjaro...
>>
>>51999227
That's Vista (or a very early test build of 7), not Windows 7, you retard.
>>
>>52002404
>Don't like it? Piss off. You sound like one of those feminists or niggers who demand everyone cater to them.
This is a far cry from begging for your acceptance,cunt.No community wants your type.
>>
>>52002677
I'm already a Mint user, you fucking retard.
And yes, judging from the behavior on the gaming-related forums/sites recently, the Linux community does desperately want both new users and their acceptance.
You may not want it, but you're just one individual and do not define the desires of the community, which has been showing otherwise.
>>
>>52001468
DESU he did ask what something so universally well-known on /g/ was. What other kind of response would you expect from someone on 4chan?
>>
>>52001160
>scripting
>cli tools
>coreutils
>gcc
cygwin solves all of these

>no decent video player
mpc was the best available for a long time, and mpv is windows compatible

>not POSIX
I've been told that windows is POSIX compliant

Not even a windows shill, and everything else you said is true, but please stick to reality
>>
Wtf kinda Linux is that. Even a basic Arch GUI looks better than that shit
>>
>>52001160
GCC is a shit compiler tho

Linux has no IDE or debugger on par with MSVC/Visual Studio.

Prove me wrong.
>>
>>52002812
cygwin is crap. i'd rather use SFU instaed of cygwin. and SFU is a big turd.
>>
>>52002850
>SFU
All I'm getting is Simon Fraser University
>>
>>52001160
Anita chews like a cow
>>
>>52002812
windows is partially posix compatible. linux should be posix compatible but most linux developers have a fetish for breaking ABI's. that's why people pour money into SuSE and RHEL
>>
>>52002894
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Services_for_UNIX
>>
>>52002894
Services for UNIX. My bad, it's called SUA now
>>
>>52001240
>>52001201
I don't know how delusional does someone have to be to imagine that a truckload of people, who are mostly playing league of legends and have been using windows systems since they were literally 5 years old are going to switch to linux just because they can.

But it must be pretty damn delusional, and that's with me hoping it's true.
>>
>>52002823
There is no such thing as basic arch gui desu sm
>>
>>52001313
i like how that conveniently leaves out ldap, which is why windows is king in enterprise. like it or not, active directory is great
>>
that's vista, from 2006. not 7.
Linux mint with skin best option desu senpai.
>>
>>52002677
Fuck off fag, nobody wants your outdated command line OS that is favored by degenerate anime weebs. Make it up to date so that normal people can use it.
>>
File: .jpg (237 KB, 1860x1080) Image search: [Google]
.jpg
237 KB, 1860x1080
Yeah
>>
>>52001967
It drove me to bootcamp
>>
>>52002823
that's your basic arch
>>
>>51999227
Even if this were true, you're implying that all you care about is aesthetics.
0/10
Thread replies: 110
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.