[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do people still use docks? I feel like it is one of those concepts
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 3
Do people still use docks?

I feel like it is one of those concepts that didn't really catch on along with HTPCs.
>>
most offices uses them
>>
I have one for my MemePad T430. Using it regularly.
>>
A few companies have developed really modern units that have mind blowing functionality, but they haven't really become mainstream. I think it was either Acer or Dell who created a dock for a convertible tablet that was wireless, and it had absolutely insane bandwidth, practically wireless PCI-E. Only caveat was that range was super short.
>>
I'm using one right now at the office.
>>
I use one at work
>>
>>51995594
They're all over the silicon valley.
>>
I'm using that exact one pictured in the OP with my Latitude E6420, adds a bunch of USB ports, makes it easy to just undock and go (have an AC adapter in my bag with a spare battery too).

Found it in a thrift store for $5, far cry from the $129+ Dell wanted for it brand new and still cheaper than most sellers on eBay looking for $40+.

Works for me.
>>
We've got shittons of them at the office.
>>
>>51995594
I just picked one up for my Latitude XT2 a few months ago. I've never had a dock before but it's nice. I wanted to get a MacBook but I think docking is now a requirement for my laptops
>>
>>51995594
i have one of those, but the bigger one for a e6400, its pretty neat because i have my desk with a monitor, mouse, keyboard and headphones and all i have to do is dock it.
on workplaces are more regular, outside the office is very hard to implement.
lenovo created a "port replicator" for their yoga, and the carbon tablet.
still, the x240 uses em.
>>
everywhere in offices
>>
every employee in our office got one
>>
>>51995674
>wireless pcie
Damn nigga
>>
I use one because the extra ports and the LAN port on my laptop is dead
>>
>>51995594
I think that it's safe to assume that OP doesn't have a job
>>
>>51995594
we got like 3500 employes that uses it everyday.
>>
I am still waiting for easy slot in SSD docks/bays (Push/push spring loaded to connect/disconnect).
>>
>>51995594
>he doesn't have gbit-ethernet, dual monitors, a mechanical keyboard and external mouse
I bet you still plugin your charger.
>>
>>51997261
Anon means pcie 1.0 with only one lane which is like only 250MB/s.
>>
>>51995594
Have an x230 and the dock has the optical unit in it...
Also, full size DP, moar USB ports and can be on soft bed all day long and no overheat...
>>
>>51995594
Nearly every corporation uses docks. Most employees carry a laptop which they connect to a screen keyboard and mouse through a dock at home and at work.
>>
>>51995594
Every single person in my team uses them.
>>
I use one for my X200, although it seems to have power problems. Sometimes the USB devices disconnect, sometimes the connected screen will go black for a second.
>>
so many wagecucks on here, someone give me a job.
>>
>>51996021
>I wanted to eat shit out of my own hands
>>
>>51995594
Why would I ever use one of these when I have a desktop?
>>
>>51998364
>9 gag tier memes
>>
>>51999728
>/g/
>9/g/a/g/
I think, I get why /g/ has become such a shithole.
>>
>>51999819
How do yo know what /g/ was like before you were here?
>>
>>51999891
I don't, but I've been here long enough to remember times when it was still good and how it's gone to shit.
>>
>>51995594
Almost everyone in my company uses them.
We also supply most of our customers with them
>>
>>51995594
OP is jobless
>>
File: 3d comfy.png (287 KB, 1019x799) Image search: [Google]
3d comfy.png
287 KB, 1019x799
My T420 sits in one right now.

Have an external monitor, a mouse, a keyboard and speakers connected to the dock, so basically it's a desktop.

Whenever I have to take my laptop from my desk, I just push the eject button and a simple but effective mechanical contraption raises the laptop slightly, deconnecting it from the connector on the bottom, and it is ready to pick up, no need to disconnect 5 cables and shit.

If this isn't the comfiest shit ever, I don't know what is. OP you are missing out.
>>
>>51995594
docks are still popular in business, though something along the lines of USB 3.1 type-C/DockPort/Thunderbolt should eventually erode them away.

the main point is single-connection
> charging
> display hub
> USB input hub

really, a monitor with a built-in USB and DisplayPort hub that could deliver power over USB type-C is really all most business would ever want.
>>
>>51995606
>most offices uses them

Not here in the Netherlands.
Everybody uses fucking Citrix here.

I use one though.
>>
>>52001672
In what way is Citrix a replacement for a docking station?
>>
Use it at my office (Dell), works perfectly. Arrive at work, plug in laptop, done. Saves me a minute of plugging in all the cables. Same thing if I have to quickly move somewhere in the building or go home at night: pop it out and away we go.
>>
>>52001672
People just have a desktop and a laptop.
>>
>>51995594
I'm never using a computer without a dock ever again. It's the comfiest shit ever.
>>
Everyone at work has one, a laptop and a laptop securing cable.

I also use one for my t420 when I go on a multi-day business trip
>>
File: 2338-5497-20140613-5888.jpg (56 KB, 805x600) Image search: [Google]
2338-5497-20140613-5888.jpg
56 KB, 805x600
I got this bad ass dock.
>>
Got one in the office because I'm using a laptop as a desktop, and wanted two monitors.
>>
I'm not a wagecuck and I still have one. Technically I'm a student however
>>
>>51995594
Every laptop user in my office has one of these things.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.