[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Linux Distributions
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
I've been using Linux Mint for about 3 months now. Why would anyone bother with a lower level Linux OS, when Ubuntu and similar distributions are much more widely supported?

Share what Linux OS you use, and why.
>>
>>51991768
Arch, pacman, less bloat.
Mint is fine but apt
>>
ChromeOS, it came on my chromebook, it does all i need it to do.

Its easy and tinkering with it is fun.

Im currently trying to learn how to delete one partition and expand another with fdisk.
>>
I use arch for pacman, AUR and other than that it just works fine for me. Never had a reason to switch back to Ubuntu or Mint.

I havent tried a redhat distro before though
>>
Elementary, is like Ubutu but already tweaked visually. It's like using Clementine instead of Foobar.
>>
Back on Ubuntu for similar reasons of wide support. I also am not a big fan of apt, that's my only real issue with it.
>>
What is wrong with apt?
>>
>>51991850
Dependency problems. It really hates correctly managing versions and has really shitty configs. Also

>front end to dkpg, even though dkpg also needs to be configured in a lot of situations
>>
>>51991850
Try installing numix theme with an AUR helper:
$ yaourt numix
>Searches for numix in the AUR
>Gives you a list of options
>Enter the number of option
>Automated package build and install
Using apt
>Manually search for ppa
>copy and paste PPA link into terminal
>Add PPA
>Update
>Install
>optional dependencies? kek
Never going back to Ubuntu/mint/debian
>>
>>>>51991768
Not everyone likes a cookie-cutter bloated OS :/
>>
>>51992201
>>51991788
implying bloat matters on any hardware from this decade
>>
>>51992255
Just because you have resources, doesn't mean the os should use them. A great example is that my laptop has 2gb ram, but I don't use any software that takes up more than a gigabyte.
>>
>>51991768
I use Arch because I like the rolling release (don't have to upgrade to a new release every 6-8 months), vanilla software, and the latest stable software.
>>
debian jessie, because i don't give a fug.
>>
>>51992255
DUDE ITS THE CURRENT YEAR

HOW CAN YOU NOT DO [what i do]

i'd rather have more free disk space than less, and less ram/cpu usage than more if I'm given the choice, even if it's a small bit.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.