[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Linux in the IT world - general support?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
Hi,

I work for an IT company as a general support monkey. We're basically a Microsoft company, only some of the core services run on Linux boxes that typically we don't manage.

Myself I don't lobby for one OS or another. I like to suggest, different OS's suit different purposes, and sometimes simply different tastes.

I have experience with Windows and OS X (which I do like a lot.) But none really with Linux, that is to say, I've used it but not for longer than an hour at a time and never as a main OS.

I want to have a good knowledge of general computing. I accept I'll never be at the computer science level without doing a programming course or a degree.

I really feel like Linux is where it at when it comes to learning lower level operating system fundamentals. I feel any Windows super user could do my job, because it is made very easy for the public to get things done in Windows without technical understanding. I.E I think VERY few people in my office know what a kernel / shell / thread / memory dump / etc is. I only vaguely know myself.

But, to get to the point. I want to actually learn a Linux distro. What one would you recommend? I don't want to go with something like Ubuntu because I feel it won't give me the whole picture. I was thinking Debian myself?
Someone did suggest Arch to me but I see a lot of meme crap about it being a time sink and too 'bleeding edge'. I often hear RedHat is common in enterprise, but I feel Fedora is a bit bloaty (am I wrong there?)

I don't need to become a hardcore Linux user but rather just get up to scratch to a power user level to be able to get things done?

What are your experiences, /g/?
>>
Would also like to hear from anyone else on /g/ who works as a general tech support for SME's etc. Which distro do you often come across in the industry?

I know a lot of /g/ is CS based but I'm not really at that level (although I find it interesting.)
>>
>>51986391
>I want to actually learn a Linux distro. What one would you recommend?
the only distros that matter in the real world are rhel/centos and debian
>>
>>51986391

Start with Mint or Ubuntu.

You can still go "hardcore command line haxx0r" but you can also enjoy a good GUI.

Linux is a lot "learning by doing".
>>
Because most of the anons here will probably shitpost with meme greentext that has no value:

Gentoo is Linux by itself, you need to set up the kernel and everything. It's too difficult, as a minimal install would take 1 week by hand.
Red Hat is preferable for IT Enterprise.
CentOS is more for server management.
Mint is a simpler and better Ubuntu.
Debian by itself is perfect, comfy, and provides the most Linux support out of any OS with it's recognizable packages like sudo, apt-get, etc.

I prefer Red Hat or Debian.
>>
>>51986492
Mint, Debian, CentOS or Red Hat*

But my most preferred choice for IT enterprise would be pure Debian or RedHat. CentOS like I said, is more for servers.
>>
Install Mint. Tinker with it as much as possible. Then go LFS. Now you know Linux enough so you can revert to Mint.
>>
>>51986492
>>51986516

centos is redhat without the enterprise support.. the distro is the exact same thing
>>
>>51986549
I believe there is a small difference between RHEL and CentOS in cron/cronjobs
But yeah, 99% same OS

>>51986391
Debian and CentOS are your choices
CentOS, RHEL and Debian based servers cover most of the linux environment you'll see
>>
>>51986619
>I believe there is a small difference between RHEL and CentOS in cron/cronjobs
no there isn't
it's the exact same thing
>>
Looks like Debian will be my way to go, and then I may look into Mint and RHEL when the time comes.

Thanks for the decent posts, infarct there were pretty much 0% shit posting which is impressive.
>>
If you want to learn skills that are relevant to IT play around with a CENTOS virtual machine.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.