[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just got a BSOD It's almost 2016 btw
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2
File: 1221151320_HDR.jpg (2 MB, 4250x2390) Image search: [Google]
1221151320_HDR.jpg
2 MB, 4250x2390
Just got a BSOD
It's almost 2016 btw
>>
>2015
>still alive
fag
>>
>>51984074
>>51984051
I'm afraid to try and reproduce but it happened when I opened speccy while cpu-z was open.
>>
http://www.tenforums.com/bsod-crashes-debugging/2528-page_fault_in_nonpaged_area-cpuz137_x32-sys.html
>>
>>51984051
Pagefaults in an out-of-tree kernel module you've loaded would panic Linux, too.

Most BSODs seen since Windows 7 are the result of hardware failure - there isn't much any software can do about that, except try to fail as gracefully and safely as possible. Nearly all of the remaining ones are the result of bad drivers, and MS didn't write most of those.

MS isn't responsible for the vast majority of those crashes anymore (although it is responsible for maintaining an ecosystem that encourages proprietary drivers - they're nightmares even on Linux).

Kernel-side, Windows NT is actually really nice. It's when you get into the Win32 API and above that it starts to turn into a nasty hairball of backward-compatibility bramble patch.

Mind you, I bet you can't tell me POSIX is unrelentingly nice with a straight face either.
>>
>>51984396
This desu-senpai.
>>
File: 20151221_142418.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20151221_142418.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>51984051
Windows 10 is shit
>>
>>51984051
>tfw the self service at tesco blue screens on you
>>
BSODS Can happen easily with cheap hardware and dodgy drivers. Still regret that cheap web can I bought for 4 euro in tesco 6 years ago. All that stress for a 640*480 piece of shit
>>
>>51985029
I don't have cheap hardware tho
>>51984376
basically I had speccy and cpu-z open together so I imagine this link is relevant
>>
>>51984754
And water is wet, anon
>>
Had win 10 for about a month and never seen bsod.

Surprising since I left 8.1 and 7 cuz of this shit.

It hdd most likely fucked
>>
>>51985067
rather poorly made hardware. And yes, bad drivers.
>>
>>51985104
I use Intel, realtek, nvidia drivers
Very good drivers.
>>
>HP screen
cringed a little
>>
>>51985144
yeah I was worried it wouldn't work on my Dell PC but it works ok. Originally bought it for my XBOX but I ended up upgrading to a big TV for that so I put the HP on my desktop rig
>>
>>51985131
I've had nvidia drivers cause crashes on multiple occasions. Only use drivers from Windows Update whenever possible.

>Very good drivers.
m8
m8

either your hardware or your drivers is causing the crashes. There's pretty much no other possibilities. Except maybe some malware that like fucking with kernel level shit.
>>
>>51985175
you can read in the BSOD that it was cpu-z that caused the crash man
>>
>>51985188
i missed that. Could be that then. Could also be other drivers don't like when CPU-z is running.
>>
>>51984051
damn what camera was used to take pic related?
>>
>>51985304
my cellphone dude
it's not even a good pic
>>
>>51984051
>alcohol in plastic bottle

You deserve your BSOD.
>>
>>51985400
dude it was only 12 bux and it's pretty good
>>
>>51984051
nice dildo collection, faggot
>>
>>51985413
Jim Beam is pretty darn ok tier.

But plastic for drinks is cancer.
>>
>>51985437
I actually don't own any dildos, did you misquote?
>>
>>51985454
>cancer
Good, maybe the End will find me sooner
>>
>>51984051
subscribed
>>
>>51984396
The difference is that on Windows you're usually required to use lots of 3rd party drivers, often of low quality.
>>
Linux here never had a crash in half of fucking year, nemo yes sometimes, cinnamon once a week, but linux absolutly never if it crashes i just run x.org / nemo and it's fine.
On windows if gui crasheh you are finish and all you work / files is over.
>>
>>51985572
This is actually the first BSOD I've seen in years - which is why I deemed it worthy of a 4chan thread!
>>
>>51985454
yeah but I can throw the bottle in my trash can and when I take out the trash it won't make a clinking sound so my mom will never know I had glass bottles (as I don't)
>>
>>51985516
Not as many as there used to be, but agreed, which is why I mentioned it.

The really big culprits - graphics card drivers - are just as troublesome in Linux if you want to use the official ones, if not a bit moreso because Linux just isn't designed to have a stable driver ABI to support out-of-tree proprietary modules, it makes the devs feel a little sick even at the concept.

And, of course, for anything except Intel (whose performance always sucks anyway), the open-source graphics drivers are generally reverse-engineered or created from very scant documentation so have their own problems. Both nVIDIA and AMD have a long way to go there.
>>
>>51984051
Jb black is sooo good, anon. Ditch the white label, you will thank me.
>>
>>51984051
>Jordan General Thread
What the hell.
>>
>>51984754
Just downgraded back to 7 yesterday with a fresh install. Feelsgoodman.msi can't believe I fell for that meme
>>
>>51985516
Well, low quality drivers are the problem of Windows (used to be bigger, now it's rare) and Linux (huge problem, especially on your typical chink consumer hardware).

Apple doesn't have such big problem with it, because their pool of supported hardware is so small it's easier for them to isolate the bad cases.
Unlike Windows/Linux which is expected to run literally on everything you throw it at.

Hopefully, Wayland/systemd/pulseaudio and the resulting "year of the loonix desktop" will bring more manufacturer's attention
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.