[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey guys, I want to build a 400$ budget PC that can run most
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 1
File: computer.jpg (12 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
computer.jpg
12 KB, 259x194
Hey guys, I want to build a 400$ budget PC that can run most new games, could you please tell me the parts I should get? Thank you.
>>
>>>/wsr/
>>
>>51979708
get a case, a mainboard, a cpu, graphics card, ram and an hdd
>>
>>51979708
Sure, just don't expect it to destroy modern titles.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/6fkx8d
>>
>>51980167
not bad anon
>>
>>51979708
>>>/wsr/
Read the fucking sticky
logicalincrements.com
>>
>>51979714
oh shit another new board.
>>
>>51980018
And a psu
>>
>>51979708
I got u senpai
https://pchound.com/ivcGA3/

- Athlon quad core on Steamroller
- 8gb RAM
- GTX 960
-HEC 400W PSU (don't listen to the haters, HEC is fine for this PC on a budget)

You will run linux and you will like it, btw.
>>
What are minimum specs for BF4&GTAV@50-60fps mid quality settings 1200p?

I currently have X3 455 3.3Ghz and Radeon 6770, BF4 is playable but framerate often drops to low 20s, GTAV is bottlenecked by CPU and quite choppy.

Would X6 1055 2.8Ghz be any upgrade? I've heard those games scale quite well on multi cores?
>>
>>51979708
Sandy bridge era ex-workstation (dell or whatever) - $200
PSU - $60
R9 280 - $140
>>
>>51980369
i'm so fucking tired of all you retards constantly trying to send people to /wsr/ if they ask any question, or for an opinion.
>>
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/24F7t6

I would suggest going for a 370 or GTX 950 if you can, but the 360 can still run every modern title at low-medium, even high at 1080p, depending on the FPS you want to get.
>>
>>51982983
>>51983692

still not as a good as >>51982426
>>
>>51979708
kill yourself faggot
>>
>>51980167
I second this, I have an A10 myself and it has awesome performance in games even without a dedicated GPU
>>
>>51980167
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/7WbPwP

Far better for 10 bucks more
>>
>>51983922

A 250GB HDD and a shitty power supply that probably wont deliver the promised 400W is not such a safe option. Also the stock cooler for the 860K is horrendous. Sure, you get a bit more performance out of the 960, but I imagine that some titles nowadays will be bottlenecked by the CPU to the point where you won't be able to utilise the 960 at full performance. I mean sure, most will benefit from the more powerful GPU, but personally I prefer to have a good quality PSU and at least 500GB of space, also that build will be loud, considering the stock cooler.
>>
>>51984110

Two cores with no hyperthreading is a bit of a gamble for the future titles don't you think? I mean Far Cry 4 refuses to launch with two core CPU's and more and more games are utilising four cores. If you ask me the 860K is a far safer choice for a similar price.
>>
>>51982964
>playing EA games
>downloading origin
Just get a mac and kill yourself, should have thought of building a pc on black friday
>>
>>51984122
1. I've actually used the 860K, it's on par with the FX-6300 if that helps you think about it. It's really not that bad.

2. Who cares if the stock cooler is horrendous, it cools the chip, end of story. It's still not intel levels of bad.

3. 250gb is fine. Don't be retarded.

4. HEC may not deliver what's rated, but it delivers and delivers for a long time. It's what OEMs go to when they want a "high quality" build, and it will do just fine in this low-power arrangement.

5. The 960 will by and large not be bottlenecked, stop fearmongering.

6. Your preferences do not equate to actual real-world performance gains.
>>
>>51984439

> I've actually used the 860K, it's on par with the FX-6300 if that helps you think about it. It's really not that bad.

I know it's not, I am expecting parts for my 400€ build to arrive tomorrow, 860K being one of them.

> Who cares if the stock cooler is horrendous, it cools the chip, end of story. It's still not intel levels of bad.

I have read reviews before buying it and they a lot of them said that the cooler was not up for the job, some even said that it was overheating, better safe than sorry, although he could buy it after the actual build if he feels like he needs it, it's not much of an expense.

> 250gb is fine. Don't be retarded.

Well since he is mentioning modern titles, GTA V is 60GB, Just Cause 3 is 50GB and it's been a while since I saw a game with less than 20GB. The pride difference form 250 to 500 is not worth it.

> HEC may not deliver what's rated, but it delivers and delivers for a long time. It's what OEMs go to when they want a "high quality" build, and it will do just fine in this low-power arrangement.

But while it's rated at 400W and the build uses 330W don't you think that's pushing it a bit? Does the PSU even have a 6-pin for the GPU? Personally I would not risk it.

> The 960 will by and large not be bottlenecked, stop fearmongering.

You are correct it was a dumb statement.

> Your preferences do not equate to actual real-world performance gains.

I was merely stating my opinion on the matter, the choice is up to OP, but it is what I would personally do.
>>
>>51979708
Hey guys

I want a ~1k$ media server to save/server muh torrents to a few peeps in the house.

Redpill me on Flash Drives
>>
>>51984615

Uuuh I don't really get what you are saying, but I guess build a 150$ PC and spend the rest on HDD's or something?

What do you mean flash drives? Do you not know what they are or..?
>>
>>51982426
>Linux
I ran steam on Linux, my steam library was cut in half.
SteamOS is not ready yet.
>>51979708
Pirate Windows 7 or Windows 8.1+download classic shell.
>>
>>51984661
What? I plan on plugging in 12 Flash drives to this box to house all my media. Prolly a 24gb SSD to boot off of.

Flash storage is faster than HDD's so I can use this to store and serve muh files.

bonus: Zero risk of data loss(never had a flash drive fail)
>>
>>51982983
>used prebuilt

Enjoy your garbage PSU
>>
>>51984587
You know wrongly: http://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=2362&cmp[]=1781

FX-6300 has better total compute, but since the bottleneck with most AMD CPUs will be on a single thread, the faster single-thread perf. on the 860K more than makes up for this deficiency when gaming. I've sold the chip to customers; I have as much, if not more, real-world experience with the CPU and what it can do.

Reviews about the cooler similarly do not tell the whole story. You need to back it up with decent case fans; I did. It will be fine. As you said, it is easily fixed later on.

If you play nothing but AAA titles @ 60gb each, assuming a 20gb core software install, you can have about four such titles installed at any one time. It's definitely enough for a budget build, and that's not actually the normal size of a game; in fact it's notable how large it is. I currently have about 20 steam titles installed on a 250gb drive in my home pc that's dedicated to gaming, and I still have more space to go. We are not bandwidth limited as we were in the past; stop being so storage hungry.

330W on an HEC PSU I would trust, esp. given that's a max draw scenario.
>>
>>51984180
You can always upgrade in the future.
>>
>>51984689
sounds like you made some bad purchasing decisions.

I've bought games with a large preference for cross-platform titles; as a result now a good portion of my steam library works on any PC I put it on, and works with all my friends as well.

-E:TW
-Civ V
-Borderlands 2
-L4D2
-Portal 2
-King Arthur's Gold
-CS:GO
-Dungeons of Dredmor
-Legend of Dungeon
-Endless Sky
-Metro: Last Light Redux
-Insurgency
-TF2
-SpecOps: The Line
-XCOM: Enemy Uknown
-BossConstructor
-HL2
-Running with Rifles
-Ziggurat
-Teleglitch
-Organ Trail
-Tabletop Simulator
-Lovely Planet
-Sir, You Are Being Hunted
-Spark 2 Evo
-The Polynomial
-ARMA Tactics
-The Blue Flamingo
-Gear Up
-Hotline Miami
-Trine 2
-Rochard
-Breach and Clear

+all the games I got on GOG and humble bundle for the same purpose. I view it like I used to view my gameboy - not capable of all the games, but enough good games to make it worth my time. Rather spend it on the games than a new windows license for each box I want to run my shit on.
>>
>>51984730
First of all, that's not how flash drives work. Second of all, that's not how USB controllers work. Third of all, you are about to experience a sudden and very unfortunate crop of flash drive failures.

Trust me on this. Do your research; you did not just suddenly happen upon a "duh" solution with no inherent difficulties.
>>
>>51985123
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dougISKs2vQ
>>
>>51985451
yeah, did you fucking watch the whole thing, you mong?

He's not even doing it remotely as well as he could, either - the maker of that video is even more retarded than I thought you were.

He's trying to make a RAID flash storage solution on a SINGLE USB 2.0 INTERFACE.

What do you suppose that interface's bandwidth is?

"USB 2.0 was released in April 2000, adding a higher maximum signaling rate of 480 Mbit/s called High Speed, in addition to the USB 1.x Full Speed signaling rate of 12 Mbit/s. Due to bus access constraints, the effective throughput of the High Speed signaling rate is limited to 35 MB/s or 280 Mbit/s."

280 Mbit/s. IDEALLY. In reality, nothing on USB 2.0, not even an 8-stick RAID0 array, will approach that. They will all shit themselves due to low-cost controllers far before that. You'll basically get SATA II HDD speeds at best.

His first array did better because the two sticks were on different internal USB controllers, and thus they each took the best part of the controller's throughput, making the improved read much better than on the single USB 2.0 hub interface that he had in the second trial. God, I can't believe he didn't research that.

Anyway, let's suppose you did it right and you had about 4 USB 3.0 drives of 8gb hooked up to the back of your PC and the front, spreading them around to make sure you had them on as many different USB controllers as possible in order to maximize throughput. THEN you might get SSD levels of performance.

BUT EVEN STILL, you would soon regret your purchase, because these flash drives have no such thing as TRIM or anything like that, and you'd rape them in short order if you actually regularly booted an OS off of them. In addition, you'd be playing with a much worse MTBF due to the larger number of devices used, each with their own points of failure.

It's a decent idea if you already have the hardware needed to do it right and don't give a fuck, but there are lots of ways to fuck up.
>>
Since this thread is already here I may as well take advantage. I am trying to build a cheap PC that can run games for as low as possible. I can salvage an old coolermaster case, HDD and DVD unit from an old PC, as for the rest I came up with this

Thermaltake Hamburg 530W
i3 4170 3,7 GHz
Sapphire R7 360 2GB
Asus H81M-K motherboard
Corsair Low Profile 2x4GB

total price would be 400€

anything completely out of place? Would it be worth it to pay 10-20€ more for the OC version of the 360?
>>
>>51986248
You're probably way overpaying for the CPU. What games will you be playing? A Pentium or an Athlon is probably the best choice within this price point.

You also need only about 400W of power for a rig like that, so you might be able to reallocate off the PSU if you can find a cheaper, lower-watt model that's still of decent build quality.
>>
>>51986286
CPU is around 115€, about the same as the GPU.
I know usually it's better to go a bit more with the GPU since that's what matters in most games, but I would play pretty much any genre and I think some games like Total War and Anno are more dependant on CPU? Also i read arond that SFV seems to be really CPU bound and that would be one of the main games I would be interested in.

Also, I will be playing on a 1360x768 monitor for maximum poverty and I hear CPU gets more important at low resolutions? Again, I'm no expert so yeah.
>>
>>51982426
Why not just use this? I'd prefer to not have my PC blow up in my face after 45 minutes of use. This one is 80 Plus.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438015
>>
>>51984439
>250gb is fine. Don't be retarded.
Last time I checked you can hardly even get new HDDs that small. 500GB seems to be the smallest you can get most places these days. Heck, even the difference in price between 500GB and 1TB makes the latter the only reasonable option, unless you are absolutely confined to a very tight budget.
>>
>>51984730
>Zero risk of data loss(never had a flash drive fail)
Kek. Just because you're on a very lucky streak doesn't mean it'll last forever. I can assure you that flash drives DO fail if they're destined to.
>>
>>51986248
>>51986352
Last post I swear

do you think I should go for the i3+r7 360 config or a Pentium G3258+r7 370? Wouldn't the processor be pretty limiting like that? Hell, a lot of games have quad cores in the minimum requirements but I don't know if that's bullshit.
>>
>>51980167
Go with this build anon , its a good recommendation and you can pop in an r7 250x for a nice performance boost in the future.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.