[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
sup /g/ should i upgrade to ubuntu? if not, what gnu/linux distro
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: ubuntu.jpg (24 KB, 346x520) Image search: [Google]
ubuntu.jpg
24 KB, 346x520
sup /g/ should i upgrade to ubuntu? if not, what gnu/linux distro should i upgrade to? pic unrelated
>>
upgrade to >>>/wsr/
>>
>>51978186
switching to linux from windows is actually a downgrade senpai.
>>
Ubuntu is quite good, but find a desktop environment you like. I use Ubuntu gnome, because I like gnome 3. Some like standard unity, but you can also find xubuntu with xfce, kubuntu with kde and lubuntu. Look at screen shots or boot them up on a USB and see what looks best. You can usually costumise a lot later, but starting out close to how you want it to look is good. You should also have a look at Linux mint with either Cinnamon or MATE. Mint is similar to Ubuntu in all important ways. Ubuntu is good because most solutions to problems have a Ubuntu solution.
>>
>>51978186
>>>/wsr/

>>51978227
>>51978334
stop spoonfeeding OP
>>
>>51978186
>Downgrading to ubuntu

Atleast go manjaro you nitwit.
>>
>>51978357
Manjaro is great, but might be confusing for beginners when all those "apt-get" installs do not apply. It is a intermediate distribution for people who want arch, but can't or don't want to install it. What is the main difference between manjaro and antergos by the way?
>>
>>51978186
Yes. Ubuntu or an ubuntu derivative like mint or zorin.

They work out of the box, have a shitton of documentation, and respect your privacy
>>
Not OP, but will someone explain some of these terms to me? I've seen things like "Don't use Mint because Cinnamon is slow" and it's absolute nonsense. I understand what Mint is, but what's Cinnamon? How is it different from MATE?
>>
>>51978581
Cinnamon and mate are DEs (desktop environments) like gnome, kde, xfce, and lxde
>>
>>51978581
Cinnamon and Mate (and gnome 3, xfce and so on) are desktop environments. Basically how your windows look and behave. To see the difference you can look at screen shots and videos on YouTube. Some DEs use more RAM than others to look good and so on.
>>
>>51978581
linux has dozen of desktop environments, window managers, compositors and so on. that's why linux will always be shit as instead of working on an unified product the community is fragmented and will only produce subpar freetard quality shit.
>>
>>51978655
It's one of the reasons linux is the best operating system. The customizability and freedom is unparallelled
>>
>>51978655
>will only produce subpar freetard quality shit.
topcu ck
>>
>>51978186
Arch.
>>
>>51978186
>/g/ is not your personal tech support team
>>
File: Vwdionk.jpg (57 KB, 576x382) Image search: [Google]
Vwdionk.jpg
57 KB, 576x382
>>51978714
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.