[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
DIY electronics
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: 51prXWa6x2L.jpg (53 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
51prXWa6x2L.jpg
53 KB, 500x500
What are some cool electronics you guys have made? DIY electronic kits or jury rigged setups that you have made from experience.

Does anybody know of cool projects for beginners like the DIY clock?

Whats the coolest thing you have built and programmed?

I just got a DIY eletronic clock and I am trying to figure out how to put it all together. Also, I am learning how to use the command line and program in ruby.
>>
bumping.

Has anybody here messed with learning boards? Arduino, raspber pi?

Share your experiences.
>>
File: spacegame2.jpg (519 KB, 1600x902) Image search: [Google]
spacegame2.jpg
519 KB, 1600x902
>>51973441
Spent the weekend making a little game where you try to dodge enemies as they fly at you. It's implemented entirely in hardware (logic gates, shift registers, etc, but no CPU).
>>
>DIY Clock
hi ahmed
>>
>>51973264
What's the link to that kit? Looks a lot nicer than the ones I found looking for "diy electronic clock" on google.
>>
>>51973738
Very cool.
Are you the blue light, and do you have to move left and right with the buttons as an enemy moves closer?
>>
>>51973789
tinyurl /njyertk
Although, it doesn't come with any instructions at all, and I am having a bit of trouble with it. It is a lot of fun to mess around with though.

If you search DIY electronics on amazon there are some decent results.

>>51973769
I know. I was expecting that.
Fuck that fagot
>>
>>51973799
Yes, exactly. Hold left to move to the left column, right for the right column, or nothing to stay in the center. Enemies come down from the top, each one in a random column. If an enemy ever moves onto your own position, you lose (game stops, red light at the top comes on, you have to press the reset button on the far right to play again). The enemies move faster and faster over time until the game becomes basically impossible.
>>
>>51973873
Lol, that sounds like a menacing arcade style game. How did you come up with the design?

If you don't mind me asking, would you willing to link the build?
>>
>>51973848
>all those tiny surface mount resistors
Welp. I was thinking of suggesting it to my dad (he's getting into hobbyist electronics) but not any more.

>>51973920
Nothing to link, we were making it up as we went along. I realized yesterday morning we probably had the parts to build that sort of game, and we spent yesterday afternoon and this morning building it.

The overall design goes like this:
>One shift register per column of enemies. "1" bit = enemy present at this position, "0" = nothing. On clock, all three registers shift forward, moving all enemies down by one. The shift register outputs are connected to the green/yellow/red LEDs and to the collision detection.
>Some logic gates to compute one bit for each player position (left/center/right, "1" = player is here, "0" = nothing). These run to the blue LEDs and also feed into collision detection.
>Collision detection is just some AND + OR gates. "enemy on bottom left" AND "player on left" = you lose. OR that with the same formula for "center" and "right".
>SR-latch made from NOR gates tracks whether you've lost yet or not.
>Uses an 8-bit linear feedback shift register (look it up on wikipedia) for randomness. On each clock tick, it adds a new enemy at the top of the left, center, or right shift register (or nowhere) depending on LFSR output.
>Base clock is an oscillator plus several 4-bit counters to divide the frequency down to something usable. Then some more counters and logic gates to produce a single pulse every N ticks, where N starts at 16 and decreases to 1 as the game goes on (this pulse controls the enemy movement, so they move faster over time).
I think that's all the main parts. The hardest part was getting the collision detection right, so that you would only lose if an enemy moves onto you (meaning you are below an enemy at the exact time the enemies advance). That wound up involving some annoying fiddling with the collision detector and the speed control/timing logic.
>>
>>51974127
Yeah, it took me a while to realize that those strips were packaging for them. They are a pain in the ass to install.
>>
>>51973264

I really want to get into electronics. Where's the best place to pick up a *CHEAP* starter kit? (Even better if it contains an Arduino clone)
>>
I kinda want to make an analogue synthesizer. Should I even try or am I destined to fail from the start?
>>
File: er_1.jpg (81 KB, 250x1711) Image search: [Google]
er_1.jpg
81 KB, 250x1711
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.