[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it just me or are gaming programmers shit at programming?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 6
Like the exceptions I can think of are like John Carmack, Iwata, and the team that did fox engine.

Like where the fuck does Bethesda or ubisoft get their programmers from? A homeless shelter?
>>
Video game design attracts a shit ton of half-asses by default, throw in the fact that games themselves are kludgy hacks by default and usually written in shitty meme languages full of hipsters and shallow faggots who are only in it for the money and you have a recipe for disaster.
>>
>>51972354
Who else are some actually good programmers in the gaming industry?

tfw iwata was an assembly mastermind
>>
>>51972372
Chris Sawyer
>>
>>51972372
Takeo Oroshika
>>
What about bungie back in the Mac days? Marathon s engine was pretty damn impressive at the time.

As far as programmers go I'd say those old school bungoe guys were pretty competent.

Hell even nubungie is still running an in-house engine that doesn't suck, which is a rarity these days.

Also I love stalker but Slavs can't code for shit
>>
>>51972275
Time to post your work. Lets see what you got dude. You probably have a website that you made as your best work.
>>
>>51974021
Let's play spot the normie.
>>
>>51972275
Can't mention John Carmack without Romero, equally as important
>>
>>51974044
still waiting for you to POST YOUR WORK
>>
>>51974087
Found him.
>>
>>51974150
still waiting for work to be posted
>>
>>51974021
I'm op I don't have any work. I'm speaking mainly from an end user POV who is enthralled by the current shit show of videogame programming AMD is interested in the developers who exemplify the opposite of it.

Also you sound like some mad fag. Are you an indie dev who made some shitty unity game that was a complete mess?

You seem like one, like the kind of guy who would ban a person who bought your game and is reporting/complaining about a major bug. Also you probably told him to make his own game whilst doing so.

Am I close?
>>
>>51974087
>no criticism allowed, ever
>>
>>51972275
It's just you.
>>
>>51974305
Criticism is technically allowed but it's meaningless when you have no idea what you're talking about.
>>
>>51972275
shitty code can be found in any cs field, you're probably just exposed to games more than others.
>>
>>51974299
It is NOT easy at all to program a game. A game of that scale cannot be a quality product without years of time and many sleepless nights. That doesn't happen unless people are paid well or enjoy it, which few truly do. Especially at big companies. Also PC gamers don't give them enough $$$.
>>
>>51972542
That guy was some kind of madman.
>>
>>51972275
You're pretty much forced to use C++, some proprietary shit console API, some proprietary shit graphics card drive and API.

You're forced to use multiple layers of shit, even if you're a good programmer, the end result isn't going to be pretty.
>>
The rollercoaster tycoon guy was a wizard.
>>
>>51974299
nOt that guy but it looks youve nailed it
>>
>>51972275
the problem isn't programmers, it's management.
>>
>>51974021
>I didn't really like Avatar
>What movie have you produced? Uh?
>>
>muh games
Get the fuck off /g/ you mongs.
>>
>>51974663
It's a catch-22 because PC gamers won't pay a high amount for shit products (expect for hardware muh3.5)
>>
File: eggplant.png (156 KB, 520x245) Image search: [Google]
eggplant.png
156 KB, 520x245
>>51974551
>criticism of mass produced consumer entertainment media is meaningless from the actual consumers
>>
>>51974021
>I don't like that shirt
>Fuck you what have you ever made huh let me see your collection
>>
>ubishit

Is there a more incompetent company as far as game optimization goes?
>>
You dont have to be a chef to know that the food is shit
>>
>>51975291
i agree with your sentiment, but we're talking about programming here.

Consumers don't know shit about game programming.
>>
>>51972275
Most people are shit at what they're doing
Especially if what they're doing can be picked up by anyone and doesn't cost anything

In case of AAA developers they simply pick up people with any kind a programming-related degree for minimum wage
>>
File: image_37.jpg (20 KB, 258x245) Image search: [Google]
image_37.jpg
20 KB, 258x245
>>51972275
>iwata
>>
>>51975543
>you can't consume if you can write a program
>>
Thank insane deadlines and shit budgets imposed by publishers. They can only afford the worst devs.
>>
>>51972354
/thread

Why bother posting at all
>>
>>51976045

Nice try frogposter, but Iwata is the sole reason Kanto was even able to be fitted into Gen 2.
>>
File: CorrinneYuReikyu.jpg (57 KB, 453x604) Image search: [Google]
CorrinneYuReikyu.jpg
57 KB, 453x604
>>51972275
Corrinne Yu
>>
>>51974551
This is the kind of shit that leads to self-absorption and shitty customer service

>that's not a bug, it's a feature

eff off, the user decides what is the right behavior and what isn't (modulo what is possible). And I say this as a developer too.
>>
>>51972275
I think the guys who made cities skyline did a pretty good job ._.
>>
>>51972275
CDProkek guys were good.

Group working with dota2 are gods. more than 100+ units in the same time and no lag in toasters
>>
>>51972275
>10MB games are more fun than 50GB ones
>and more stable running in an emulation of DOS
>the only thing recent games have is graphics
>>
>>51976909
Couldnt tip my fedora harder if I had Parkinson.

Ye old games fucking suck mire than 90% of time due to retarded as fuck limits.
>>
>>51976934
>play Xwing
>can fly anywhere
>play rogue squadron
>tiny flight bounds you bounce off of if you try to leave
>>
>>51976946
yeah play battlefield fly anywhere throw c4 mid drop onto some fighter and see it explode while.i open my chute k
>>
Frostbite is pretty gud
Their main programmer is basically a wizard when it comes to programming, he wrote most of mantle and probably vulkan too.
I think his name I Johan Anderson.
>>
>>51972275
>>51972275
>>51972275
>Like where the fuck does Bethesda or ubisoft get their programmers from? A homeless shelter?
Canada actually.
>>
File: 1450515191944.jpg (94 KB, 528x794) Image search: [Google]
1450515191944.jpg
94 KB, 528x794
>>51974537
>t. unity meme enthusiastic.
>>
>>51972275
Some are fucking geniuses.

Some are fucking retards.

No different than the rest of the industry.

I'd say slightly better since at least there seems to be fewer monkeys proportionally.
>>
>>51977648
So frozen homeless shelters?
>>
>>51976909
>ls wrong generation
Meh
Every generation has its ups and downs, like I enjoy both vanilla SoC and bf4 and they are worlds apart.
>>
>>51977700
And French
Most of ubisoft are French canucks hippie botheads last time I was there
People who want artsy fartsy shit not actual video games.
>>
File: buggerfall.jpg (24 KB, 250x308) Image search: [Google]
buggerfall.jpg
24 KB, 250x308
>>51972275
What's even more embarrassing about Bethesda is that they've had literally 20 years to learn from their mistakes. Yet people keep making up excuses for them due to some retarded reason. The notion that Bethesda would be one day seen as the forerunner of the RPG genre would've brought on laughing riots back in the 90s.
>>
>>51972542
I'm learning assembly because of Chris Sawyer.
>>
>no andy gavin mentioned yet
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.