[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have decided to learn Java. Going through thenewboston tutorial
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: Java.png (39 KB, 518x518) Image search: [Google]
Java.png
39 KB, 518x518
I have decided to learn Java.

Going through thenewboston tutorial to learn. Is this okay?

Something else I should be doing? what do you think /g/?
>>
You should learn Java and not ask about what you should doing. You should also consider the tutorial on docs.oracle.com.
>>
Yes its excellent. Seriously comp sci grad here. You're effectively getting tutored 1 to 1 but with a pause button. Also check out Derek banas channel. College was shit for actually learning stuff, out of date notes and lecturers that dint give a fuck about you until 4th year. Youtube is better
>>
File: babbies first java.jpg (18 KB, 260x320) Image search: [Google]
babbies first java.jpg
18 KB, 260x320
>>51969737

its decent, but not a good foundation.

read pic related and use thenewboston tutorial/head first java to practice
>>
>>51969737

There's plenty of nice tutorials out there, just google some of them..

Do you have any previous programming skills?

If not you usually start with datatypes, variables, modifiers (final, private, ..) , methods (static vs. non-static) and so on.

Then Arrays and exceptions.

Input/Output, how to use bytestreams and characterstreams.

Packages, classes, interfaces, inheritance, local classes.

Threads, GUIs.

Networking or database access (if you want to).

Last but not least:
If you mastered the fundamentals it's definately worth to learn about the Java Collections framework (TreeSet, HashMap, LinkedList..), the differences and the most important methods.
>>
>>51969923
book looks superb, thanks /g/entooman
>>
>>51969971
Interesting, this was exactly how Java was taught at my Uni.
>>
how is is intellij as an ide?

should I use something else?
>>
>>51970422
It's very good in my opinion and I've been using eclipse for years.
>>
>>51970422
intrllij is master race senpai
>>
>>51969737
If your going to learn java you might want to double up and learn hindi as well
>>
>>51970718
I thought java jobs were everywhere.

I am learning it to get into android
>>
>>51970718
Ive seen curryniggers at my uni. You wanna know where? IT classes. No currynigger is smart enough to take a CSE course. I'm not scared.
>>
>>51969737
It's a pretty good beginner language. If you learn Java it's easier to pick up C languages. However, the only real application imo is Android app dev, it doesn't have the flexibility of Python for example.
>>
>>51970718
epic
>>
>>51969971
>not mentioning servlets and jsp's
>>
>>51970921
I made a few Android apps with Python and Python + JS combo, using SL4A and then compiling the code. That was a pain in the ass and I ended up with huge apk files.
If I were to make an app for Android again, I'd definitely learn Java just for that reason.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.