[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
HDD recovery
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: fucking_koreans.jpg (42 KB, 800x565) Image search: [Google]
fucking_koreans.jpg
42 KB, 800x565
So I fucked up... Last night I started hearing clicking sounds from my computer and figured that it must be my almost a decade old HDD dying (which was empty). I went on watching a movie and today I realized it was my 1TB Samsung that was clicking. Immediately at boot it died and I lost all of my personal files with it. All photos, IRC logs, CV... basically everything I've stored on various HDDs since 90s.

Now is there anything that I can do to even recover some of it?

inb4 learn to backup
>>
tech support threads belong on /wsr/
>>
>>51965789
you can try tools like ddrescue
But yeah, >learn to backup
Storage medium is fragile, put your data in at least 3 locations.
>>
yeah, some expensive as process you can pay someone to do to run a different head over it I think, and even then I don't think data recovery will be 100%
>>
lrn2backup

Seriously, why does this ever happen? How hard is it to just buy another HDD and copy everything over once in a while? You're just going to have to learn from your mistake.

I've read something about putting it in the freezer, but I wouldn't bet on it working.
>>
>>51965789
It's dead, jim.

> Now is there anything that I can do to even recover some of it?
Professional data rescue service can recover some / most / all. Might cost you a few thousand USD, though.

> inb4 learn to backup
Exactly that. Life sucks, but exactly that.
>>
>>51965826
Don't do this, don't turn it on and go to someone who knows what he is doing.
>>
>>51965871 (cont'd)
PS: Do not open the drive or anything if you intend to use a data rescue service. You'll just reduce your chances to get anything back.

Send it in. Pay up.

If you can't afford professional work and want to try to win the national data rescue lottery (= manage a manual fix that works without knowledge or a clean room or specialized equipment), well, go ahead.
>>
File: ffs.jpg (37 KB, 568x320) Image search: [Google]
ffs.jpg
37 KB, 568x320
I built a new computer few months ago and just blindly transferred everything I had into it knowing that one of those old HDDs would die soon. For a few days I've had a feeling that I forgot something and now I realize it was getting those files out of the old HDDs.

Seems like it's a fresh start in my life then. Everything that proved that I've existed was on that HDD so I can only hope my next incarnation builds a personal cloud and stores shit like that into it.
>>
>>51966038
>just blindly transferred everything I had into it knowing that one of those old HDDs would die soon. For a few days I've had a feeling that I forgot something and now I realize it was getting those files out of the old HDDs.
so you didn't transfer them? what did you do to them?
>>
>>51965789
dude its dead

rip
>>
>>51966060
I took all HDDs I had laying around and put them all into my new computer, checking out what I had in them and then just left them there. I've been mostly using my laptop for all personal stuff lately so I forgot about backup. To be honest I didn't even think that 1TB Samsung would die. It was like 4 or 5 years old max and hadn't been in use for 3 years.
>>
>>51966038
> Everything that proved that I've existed was on that HDD
Or you can pay for data rescue. And then put that on some automatically backed up storage.

> I can only hope my next incarnation builds a personal cloud and stores shit like that into it.
Just do a NAS + backup of that NAS. Your next incarnation still won't have any particular sysadmin skills, and the cloud stacks - while powerful - aren't exactly easy & proven technology. If you someone unskilled runs one of their own, that's a data loss risk on its own.

>>51966162
> It was like 4 or 5 years old max and hadn't been in use for 3 years.
HDD or SSD can die at any time, at random.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.