[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is the age of Linux finally upon us? >NSA scandal, everyone
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3
File: jared.jpg (515 KB, 849x779) Image search: [Google]
jared.jpg
515 KB, 849x779
Is the age of Linux finally upon us?

>NSA scandal, everyone afraid or against mass surveillance
>Gabe Logan Newell wants to make linux a viable gaming platform, and is launching PCs pre installed with linux
>GoG galaxy will support Linux. GoG has been working on making their catalog linux enabled

Have we reached singularity?
>>
As long as it's something you need to install by yourself, the age of GNU/Linux will never come.

We will need manufacturers selling hardware running free software exclusively. Until then, it will be a techie/techie's grandparents-thing.
>>
>>51963628
Steam is already doing that

Many stores (even in third world countries) are already selling laptops pre-installed with Linux. My last laptop I bought 1 or 2 years ago had that option
>>
>the year is 2018
>true open source Linux OSs dominates all computers, from phones to desktops
>/g/ is now using windows because they are hipsters that need to be different
>>
>>51963644
The steam machines are not very successful yet, are they? Guess things will look different in a year or two, especially with GoG Galaxy.

But being able to buy them in stores is great. Too bad none of the big manufacturers used the general W10 discontent and pushed for a "surveillance- and virus free alternative". But I assume M$ is paying big cash preventing that.
>>
>>51963628
>We will need manufacturers selling hardware running free software exclusively. Until then, it will be a techie/techie's grandparents-thing.

They already tried with Loonshit and nobody bought them. Some still sell Loonshit laptops but nobody buys them.
>>
>>51963657
Yea thats funny cuz its opposite
>hipster isn't even a fucking word child
>>
Jared's still alive?
I heard he had aides
>>
>>51963750
Look around you. These normie fuckers who sit at Facebook all day stalking bitches, do you think they even know about Linux? The world has a short supply of rational people, hence Linux needs to pander to these fuckers at their level to get attention.
>>
>>51963750
The netbooks of 2010 sold great amounts. Probably even to the extent that M$ got a bit stressed. But that changed later, especially with the iPad's success.

Of course the other computers running GNU/Linux won't sell as good. There's 0 marketing behind them. Noone knows what the advantages would be since noone is telling them.
>>
File: 1437986387310.jpg (81 KB, 419x480) Image search: [Google]
1437986387310.jpg
81 KB, 419x480
>>51963586
>Windows 10 appeals to pedophiles
>>
>>51963787
>Linux needs to pander to these fuckers at their level to get attention

But then it wouldn't be -Linux-, would it?
>>
>>51963657
Except windows is shit, we would probably use BSD instead
>>
>>51963715
>The steam machines are not very successful yet, are they?

were they even launched yet?
>>
If you use Linux, you'll have a much faster and better Facebook Experience

Switch to Linux now, 100% free!
>>
>>51963586
Nope

Plebs gonna plebs no matter how hard you fuck them in the ass

It's in their nature
>>
>>51963838
The goal of GNU/Linux is to offer a free operating system. All the bullshit about command line and "customization" is just something that has happened since the people being capable of installing it are computer nerds.

A successful normie-distro would work without having them expected to do anything harder than starting a web browser.
>>
>>51963838
Yeah but I am okay with Linux being a sekrit club for me to enjoy. I just don't want it to die out over time due to corporate greed and ass fuckery.
>>
>>51963755
Who ru quotin
>>
>>51963657
>3016
>lo/g/os is finally usable
>>
Waiting warmly on Vulkin.
If you can end Microsoft's stranglehold on gaming with DirectX people will stop using Windows over time.
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-12-20-17-03-59.png (208 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-12-20-17-03-59.png
208 KB, 1080x1920
>>51963657
>the year is 2014
>true open source Linux OSs dominate all computers, from phones to desktops
>literally happening
>>
You forgot the part where garry logan newberg put malware in steam that logs every website you visit as an anti cheat measure.
>>
>>51963586
>Is the age of Linux finally upon us?

The age of Linux has been upon me since around 2005 and with PCI passthough, gaming on Linux is easy.
>>
>>51963999
>If you can end Microsoft's stranglehold on gaming with DirectX people will stop using Windows over time.

no they won't, in any measurable amount. you aspie fucks vastly overestimate the percentage of the world that uses windows strictly due to gaming.
>>
>>51963762
No he just got partyvanned
>>
>>51964131
>you aspie fucks vastly overestimate the percentage of the world that uses windows strictly due to gaming.

Thats not me but I will say that I am autistic and I use Arch Linux on my gaming rig so I am inclined to agree. I point out I am autistic though because assuming that all aspies are this stupid is not fair.
>>
>>51963586
>>51963762
>>51964150
How is he using Windows 10 in prison?

Didn't he go to jail before that was a thing?

And even if he didn't, I wouldn't bother to upgrade my OS if I was going to prison in a few weeks.
>>
>>51963586
>NSA scandal, everyone afraid or against mass surveillance
A fear which has passed already and is now replaced with fear of terrorists again.

>Gabe Logan Newell wants to make linux a viable gaming platform, and is launching PCs pre installed with linux
This sounds good but SteamOS so far is shit and so is Steam and gaming on Linux in general. It's unlikely to go anywhere unless Microsoft somehow really fucks things up.

>GoG galaxy will support Linux. GoG has been working on making their catalog linux enabled
That's nice but if Steam didn't make much of a difference then GOG definitely won't.
>>
>>51963586
>>NSA scandal, everyone afraid or against mass surveillance

In my existence people are frustratingly apathetic.
>>
>>51963586
you know that valve is also under NSA suveillance??
fucking gaymer kids
>>
No support for Adobe products and 3 or 4 AAA dated releases per year, no age of linux at all sir.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.