[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/EEPG/ - Electronic Engineering Projects General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 1
File: Cheatsheet 5.jpg (102 KB, 736x544) Image search: [Google]
Cheatsheet 5.jpg
102 KB, 736x544
Let's stop the consumerism, /g/, this is a general to discuss everything YOU make, not Big Brother makes.

I've recently been working on creating a high-efficiency, high-frequency, high-power air-cored resonant transformer (tesla coil), for the lulz. I plan to have an operating frequency of 15 Mhz, which is obviously beyond the range of standard semi-conductors, so I'll use valves, an operating power of 5kW, it's currently on the planning phase, but I've already figured the tube I'll use, how I'll cool it, the schematic, basically. But the issue I have is basically actually fitting the 5kW into the secondary of the transformer, which will be small since it operates at such a high res, it ought to be small, which just adds to the problem. Any idea how to keep it at a reasonable temperature, /g/?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXEF3xysKg8

Vid related is similar to what I'm trying to do.

Everything electronics-related is welcome here, even your Arduino LED blinking.
>>
>>51962340
wtf is that dude lol

i just installed another gtx 980 Ti on my computer so now I can SLI them and play on 1440p securely for the next decade
>>
I'm building a mechanical keyboard that's fully programmable. I'm also sticking a trackpoint in it.
>>
>>51962384
OP here.

Please, please, please, kill me. Severe my spinal cord. How could such idiocy exist.
>>
Making a remote(wi-fi) controlled car using a Pi. (Not just sticking a Pi to an already made car.)
>>
>>51962395
Nice! Should be pretty simple to do with a microcontroller, will you 3D-print the enclosure? What switches will you use?
>>
>>51962421
What will you control with the Pi? Driving? Don't you think the driving software will require a little more than a Pi?
>>
>>51962444
Plan is to SSH into the Pi and just send commands to the GPIO. GPIO-->transistors-->motors.
>>
>>51962426
I got a pack of 100 cherry blues, but I'm only using 64 of them.

I've 3d printed a prototype enclosure, but I plan on routing the actual one out of wood.

The keyswitch matrix is 8x8, which is good because I can just use 2 shift registers to read each key. It also means I can use another 2 to control each key's LED individually.

It's not a difficult project at all, but I'd like to get an actual PCB printed out later that I can solder all the components onto.
>>
>>51962472
Don't you think standard internet/local network would impose a shit-ton of unaccounted delays? Isn't driving a real-time application? Can't you also run out of the network range during driving? I think you should use radio desu senpai.
>>
/EEPG/

Another one for my filter list.
Thanks OP.
>>
>>51962472
I really hope you plan to implement something like 'move forward 150 ft' so the interface sends a series of pulses to the transistors rather than manually send individual single-step pulses to the motors.
>>
>>51962507
I do expect there to be a lag, but it just seems like an interesting thing to do. Wi-Fi range shouldn't be too much of an issue, and adding radio control won't be too bad, so it can always do both.
>>
>>51962501
Nice, it's actually a bretty gud idea, a fully programmable keyboard, down to the uC level seems like a dream. Good luck with your project.

>tfw someone will create a virus that infects microcontrollers in keyboards.
>>
>>51962575
Unless you can somehow rewrite the programming inside the chip, I do not see this happening (assuming a microcontroller).
>>
>>51962562
Also, I recommend you use a BeagleBoneBlack, for a simple reason, you don't have its PRUs (Programmable real-time units) on the RPi, on the RPi, you will experience needless delays imposed by Linux itself, since it's not made to be a real-time OS, however, on the BBB, you can off-load tasks that need any reasonable amount of timing to the PRU, it will also be useful if you're to do radio. Also, WAY more interfaces and GPIO, which I *GUARANTEE* you will be very useful when doing something like creating a hardware wrapper of sorts for a car's controls.
>>
>>51962590
I'm using a bootloader designed for the chip that allows you to rewrite the user program on it. I could essentially reprogram it with the touch of a button.
>>
>>51962590
desu senpai, it is beyond me how you *cannot* re-write programming inside a uC in a keyboard, you will need to include a programmer if you're to make the keyboard fully programmable as you said you would.
>>
>>51962613
I might invest in one once I've got everything working with the Pi. I already had the Pi, you see.
>>
>>51962625
Well, this is good for firmware updates and patches, I just hope you implement some kind of verification scheme to authenticate the firmware before is loaded onto the chip or allowed to run, kind of digital signature.
>>
>>51962340
Im learning timers and PWM on my atmega32
>>
>>51962657
>>51962650
>>51962625
>>51962590

How about you can create a switch with an LED that *physically* allows and disallows programming, ie- it connects and disconnects the programmer.

This should eliminate the chances of malware, since you only open it when you want to program it.
>>
>>/diy/

please, just go to /ohm/
>>
>>51962692
I would. But /diy/ encompasses subjects such as physical hobbies (wood-working, for example.) and is basically a dead board.
>>
>>51962340
how can i create a gibson so i can shitpost on /g/ asking how to hack it
>>
>>51962657
>>51962686
I'm not too worried about it. To switch into the programming mode you need to hit a physical button.

I don't think there's any chance of a virus infecting my keyboard.
>>
I've always wanted to try using a wifi module with a avr microcontroller. Does anyone here have any experience with one?
>>
>>51963158
Just use a SBC goy
>>
>>51963063
The virus would probably have to be specifically designed for your µcontroller as well as compiled for it, so the danger should be essentially 0, unless you have friends familiar with µcontrollers.
>>
I don't know how to webmify a phone video of my Arduino in action :(
>>
Currently I'm huntin a bad connection on an old heathkit io-12.

Eventually I plan on having it play pong with a microcontroller
>>
>>51962340
What's the best way to learn basic electronics. Not going into it career wise but I already code and fuck around with 3d printing. Isn't there that yellow book that is supposed to be the bible for electronics. Came out with a new edition maybe 6 months ago.

My skill level now is just at replacing my own burned out capacitors.
>>
>>51962340

Hey buddy, I think you've got the wrong door. The maker club is two doors down.

>>>/diy/
>>
>>51964423
see >>51962703
>>
>>51962398
This is what under-25's think are technical hobbies. Plugging a couple cards into slots and running a game.
>>
>>51963771
remember stuxnet... if enough interest is given, someone could create malicious firmware specifically targeted to your product.
>>
>>51965288
Sure, but I don't think >>51963063
is using his keyboard in uranium enrichment plants.
Also, stuxneet was for windows embedded systems, which are orders of magnitude more complex (and therefore easier to hide virii in) than a simple microcontroller. Short of bugging the compiler used, it's quite hard to hide a substantial amount of extra code (few kilobytes) in a microcontroller.
>>
>>51966237
maybe using stuxnet was a bit large for an example, I meant in the context that custom firmware with malicious purposes could be engineered for his device thus I made the suggestion to include some authenticity checks on the firmware loader/programmer.
>>
>>51966280
Yeah, seems reasonable enough.
>>
>>51962340
>Everything electronics-related is welcome here, even your Arduino LED blinking.
How about multiple leds for a class assignment?
https://youtu.be/orFBsLIyTJ4
>>
what do you guys think of those node.js based frameworks that keep coming up for raspberry pi like boards?
>>
15mHz is not over the range of most semi conductors. Otherwise you would see tubes everywhere.
>>
Just finished a frame for a laser pointer tracking system. I've got a pan and tilt assembly with two servos to aim a laser module (pointer strength, not burning strength). Using opencv to find a simple target from an image.

I've got a fixed webcam that's going on top, with a distance sensor to calibrate the mapping of the captured image to position of a target.

So far I've just tested all the parts separately, and as soon as my frame sets I'll put it all together. I plan on using a pi to run it for now, and eventually switch it to a battery and something from the ATMega line.
>>
>>51967220
Stupid, interpreted languages are retarded for use on limited resource devices, and
>node.js
Jesus out of all the interpreted languages to choose from they thought node.js was a good idea
>>
So what should I do to learn Electronics as a hobby. Im getting into stuff to play with my code like raspberry pie and other devices. 3d printing drones and home automation.

The most I have done before is replace some capacitors for my tv.
>>
So i've tried using the free cypress PSoC kit that I got from a corporate event at my university for my nixie tube clock. I felt a little adventurous so I decided to implement the muxing all in hardware, since the PSoC is an mini mixed signal CPLD + ARM chip. I accidentally blew it up.

The CPLD was kind of shitty so I couldn't get all my logic blocks in together with the serial communication module--should I invest in a cheap FPGA kit to just go all-in?
>>
>>51970663
you need a project to work on
read books like The Art of Electronics
>>
>>51962340
Do you faggots have any jobs tho?
IT is on demand of workers since day 1 but electronics? shit, nobody wants an EEfag.
>>
>>51970770

I was wondering is that a good beginner book? Ive heard its like the bible but that was from guys who are already into it and figured it was too advanced.
>>
Yeah, its funny and sad, /g/ is not about technology now, its about MUH LINUX/WS/AppleShit/AMD/Nvidia/Android/Someothershit BETTER THAN YOURS. Oh, and dont forget about ricing treads
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.