[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dwarf Fortress Build
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2
File: miner.jpg (5 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
miner.jpg
5 KB, 480x360
I want to build a desktop. The most intense thing I'll use it for is Dwarf Fortress. That's game that makes my laptop try to melt itself, but it has almost no graphics. Also the dev doesn't know how to parallelize so lots of cores won't help.

Does this makes sense? http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jVthhM
>>
>>51957808
ram
>>
>>51957861
is bad? Nothing about it is jumping out at me.
>>
The cooling system may be a little much though a couple fans could probably do the trick
>>
It's a cpu intense game. So you'll want a fast cpu.

If the game doesn't take advantage of multithreading then that's shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit creek for you

[spoiler]
i used to play df, shit lags yo
>>
>>51957808
You can play dwarf fortress on a fucking raspberry pi
>>
>>51958075
Get 4gb more.
Atleast 2gb more if you can.
>>
File: 1441035691157.jpg (41 KB, 289x425) Image search: [Google]
1441035691157.jpg
41 KB, 289x425
>>51957808
>laptop
>>
>>51957808
wait wtf I've seen DF before but it's an ascii game right? How the fuck does that get cpu intensive?
>>
A G3258 will be the most cost effective processor to get. OC it and it's a VERY powerful single threaded processor.
Assuming reasonable luck with the processor's quality though. But hell, it's not expensive.

>>51958869
No you can't. DF is probably the most CPU intensive game you can play.
>>
>>51958997
Because A* in 3 dimensions for 200 NPCs
>>
>>51958997
Play it
>>
>>51958997
How about because ASCII refers to graphics. It is very GPU light, you barely need anything in that regard.
But when it comes to CPU it's extremely heavy. Every single dwarf has its own thoughts, emotions, desires, needs, down to what colour and type of gem they like the most, and their health is calculated down to individual fingers, 6 sets of teeth, internal organs and so on.
And that's just the dwarves, of which there can be hundreds.
Then you have the animals, the beasts, the pathing of all the creatures, the physics calculations of the water, fire, lava, it's intense.
>>
>>51958962
8 gigs is plenty for internet browsing or whatever he plans on doing with it
>>
>>51957808
>low end i3
>z107 mobo
why?
also get a haswell if you are going for low end, haswell is MUCH cheaper, especially for B and H series boards (which is what you should be buying)
>>
Make sure you have around 8-16 GB of RAM, and get a CPU with strong single-threaded performance. I find it funny how all the heavy creature AI could have it's own thread, but toady is a fucking moron who cannot into threading, or open-sourcing his shit.

>>51958869
*at a shitty framerate and only after buying Exagear for $20 for remotely acceptable x86 emulation performance
>>
>>51959053
oh shit I didn't know it was that intense. Like... I've heard rumors that it has the highest learning curve of any game, but holy shit.

That nigger programmer needs to multi-thread that shit and lower the game loop rate.
>>
>>51957808
>http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jVthhM
A non-overclocking processor with a Z170 board doesn't make much sense, but if you go with >>51959020 (which I recommend) you can overclock. Note that the G3258 requires a Z97 board, not Z170. Also don't get that SSD, you will get HDD speeds when you get near full with it. Get an 850 Evo in whatever capacity you can afford.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/bckYvK
>>
>>51959170
>That nigger programmer needs to multi-thread that shit and lower the game loop rate.
apparently he showed some code snippets at some point and it's complete spaghetti
>>
>>51959204
fun fact:

he has arrangements made so the game will go open source after his death, except in the case the foul play is suspected in which case he's made arrangements for all copies of the codebase to be secure-erased
>>
>>51959237
what a dirty faggot for not just open sourcing it from the beginning
>>
>>51959182
>Note that the G3258 requires a Z97 board, not Z170.
Except it doesn't. You can OC the G3258 on a Asus or Gigabyte H81.
Making it pretty ludicrously cheap and a great choice for dwarf fortress.
Throw in a hyper 212 evo or + and you have a good DF machine for sure.
>>
>>51959265
>On a H81
With a BIOS update, apparently.

>a couple of manufacturers (as of Date Asus and Gigabyte) have released BIOS updates that support “Pentium G3258 Anniversary edition unlocked multipliers” on H81, B75 H87 & H97 chipset based motherboards.
Source:
http://www.ukgamingcomputers.co.uk/overclocking-pentium-g3258-on-h81-b75-h87-h97-chipsets-a-60.html
>>
>>51959253
maybe, but we are looking at many decades perhaps before he dies of natural causes. so until then, the game will not be optimised

and desu it would probably be impossible to rewrite a codebase that's been established so long to have parralel capabilities. obviously i don't know for sure, but i would imagine everything is extrememly tightly coupled and generally hard to work with.
>>
>>51959101
I know 8gb is plenty, that'd why I'm suggesting he goes from 4gb to 8gb
>>
>>51959253
it's his project, his code, his idea, his creation. He has the right to keep the source to himself.

How would you like to invest hundreds of hours of your life into some project only to have people
a.) point out how bad your coding is rather than appreciating the end result
b.) steal your shit over and over again without attributing, let alone paying, you
c.) have the community fork your project and leave you in the dust, even though you created the project in the first place

Open Source is cool, but he's not a faggot for keeping it closed.
>>
>>51959995
gtfo steve jobs nobody wants you alive
>>
>>51960037
kek
>>
>>51957808
xeons and ram lots of ram
>>
>>51959020
>>51957808
>>51959265
the locked skylake cpus will now be able to be overclocked via BCLK, the i3 6100 probably to around 4.4 upwards. this would be v. tasty and definitely the right choice if all goes well

http://www.techspot.com/review/1108-intel-locked-skylake-cpu-bclk-overclocking/
>>
>>51960115
4.7 my b
>>
>>51959978
Dorf fort can't use more than 2GB naturally.

4 with a patch.
>>
>>51957808
dorf fort isn't multithreaded, so you'd be looking at the best performance per core if you want to play it proper. It's still going to fuck itself up after an undetermined number of dorfs, though.
Odds are you'll experience FUN way before you reach that cap, to be quite honest with you, familia.
>>51958972
Limit the number of dorfs to 80-100 and you'll be fine with a decent labtob.
>>
>>51959323
>maybe, but we are looking at many decades perhaps before he dies of natural causes. so until then, the game will not be optimised
People are always making clones of the thing. Toady just seems to have that special kind of assburgers which results in a uniquely amazing game like dorf fort, which is insanely difficult to replicate.
>>
>>51957808
>http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jVthhM
Remove your SSD and cut down to 4GB RAM, and consider bumping up your CPU.

Don't cheap out on your cooling here because DF is going to be maxing out your CPU most of the time.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.