[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
2016 will be the year of Linux on the desktop
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 16
File: RJ34Twx.jpg (86 KB, 1417x880) Image search: [Google]
RJ34Twx.jpg
86 KB, 1417x880
I think that this time we will really win, folks. People are fed up with Microsoft and Windows 8 and 10.
>>
>>51956493
>linux for the masses
No. It is not, and will not be anytime soon. Sorry son!
>>
>Current year + 1 will be the year or the Linux desktop
>>
It could be if Google pushed Chrome OS for desktops.
>>
>>51956493
>all that /mu/-core music
>>
File: 1444430994823.jpg (36 KB, 338x476) Image search: [Google]
1444430994823.jpg
36 KB, 338x476
>>51956493
>2016 will be the year of Linux on the desktop
>this is what linuxniggers actually believe
>>
>>51956493
>niggers who believe that ubuntu is gnu/linux
>>
>>51956708
This. Ubuntu is pretty much the only "serious" distro trying to acheive that, and it's failing. All major distros are in no way pursuing that goal, so OP's dream is actually just that, a dream.
>>
>>51956743
ChromeOS is by far the most popular linux OS

DO you linuxniggers not realize that ChromeOS is what a successful commercial linux would look like?
>>
>>51956743
if by "that" you mean a bloated unstable botnet-infected PoS with a user community too retarded to wipe its own ass, then yeah, they are pretty much on par with Microsoft and Apple.
>>
eventually the Year of the Linux Desktop will arrive because all the normies will leave the desktop for phones and game consoles, leaving only the Linux users.
>>
>>51956811
Right because Linux will ever be popular if people have to know how to use a terminal

Idiot
>>
>>51956797
there already is "successful commercial linux", but it's aimed at enterprise, not home desktops.
>>
>>51956828
The topic of the thread wasn't enterprise linux, it was desktop aka consumer

We already knew it was king for enterprise, and that isn't going to change
>>
>>51956818
Pretty much the only viable possibility actually
>>
>>51956493
Doubt it. Its too hard to do anything without the command line, and most people don't want to fuck around with that.
>>
>>51956493
>Ubuntu
leading market

Top linux distro for normies right now is Mint and although it is based off on ubuntu, cannonical are thieves who base themselves on debian.

So basically Mint will probably lead linux out in the field but still lags behind windows and osx by 98% on pc share.
>>
>>51956822
Popularity is the inverse of purity.
Even casuals who want to use a "friendly" distro like Mint/*buntu need to either accept that they may be required to perform some arcane gestures into a scary black box from time to time, or have a friend or relative who they can rely on to do this for them. the difference between commercial OS and linux is that commercial OS has someone you can pay to fix your shit for you
>>
>>51956895
You don't have to use the command line m8. Only distros like arch or gentoo is the command line required.
>>
>>51956493
I got a friend that install linux on old computers or even recent for people. Works very great for him.
There's more and more people that aren't into /g/ stuff and pay people to install linux for them because they are tired of windows.

But anyway. Linux will not be mainstream if :
1- they don't sell pre-built computer
2- there's no marketing for linux
3- it's not better than windows regarding games.

if one of those 3 points is done, it will be the year of linux.

1- Asus made netbooks with linux and it worked well. Windows had to create a special version of windows xp to counter the success of it, and asus could ask anything to microsoft then and have better deals.
Right now, there is Xiaomi preparing good laptops with linux installed by default so they can sell good laptops (i7+nvidia GPU) for a low price.

2- There is proof that without marketing you can't have a good market share. You never see an ad for linux in usual media and that's a very bad point for linux. I'm actually surprised that canonical doesn't try to makes advertisement to get more users.
Anyway, if Xiaomi start selling and marketing linux laptops, it might be very great to make linux famous (or not).

3- Performances in game are shit compared to windows for stupid reasons, since linux is better than windows in every way, if linux had the same support windows have from devs (both from nvidia, amd and video game devs), I wouldn't be surprised that linux would have better performances in games. There's already games that loads faster and have more FPS than their windows version with the shitty drivers we have today and the laziness of devs to create good ports.
Anyway my point is that if linux is actually better than windows, gamers will want and start to use it, forcing manufacturers to provide computers with linux by default, and forcing devs to port their games to linux.
Wayland and vulkan are coming which will improve a lot the performances of the future games in linux.
>>
>>51958252
oh and 2016 ? no certainly not, but we will start having more users next year. 2017 will be the year of the linux desktop. We still need one year to get good drivers, games using vulkan, wayland being mainstream and we also need steam OS to be better than what it is currently. It lacks of features for me
>>
Been using Ubuntu for the last few weeks at a new job.

Had it crash/restart twice, had compiz explode more than 3 times. Freezes up randomly. Uses 500meg just for Unity.

>"An error occurred"
>OK

Seriously top tier garbage OS. Now, upgrading from 15.04 to 15.10 has fucked my graphics drivers and I get visual artifacts. The solution according to Ubuntu? Reinstall ;).

J U S T
U
S
T
>>
It will be the year when OS that uses Linux for kernel becomes most used among consumers, but that OS is not primarily used on desktop
http://gs.statcounter.com/#desktop+mobile+tablet-os-ww-monthly-201411-201512
>>
>>51956493
>people are fed up with windows
Pull your fucking head out of your ass, anon. As much as we both would like that to happen, it isn't happening now. People are too dumb even for Windows anyway.

What would actually make people switch is official OS X on PC. But nah, Tim Cook is too gay to see the potential of this.
>>
I hope linux stays with servers and super computers. Normies fuck up everything
>>
File: overall_cpt2_en.png (68 KB, 657x548) Image search: [Google]
overall_cpt2_en.png
68 KB, 657x548
>>51956493
2016 will be the year of OSX clones

All hail Deepin
http://www.deepin.org/system.html?language=en
>>
File: zorin-os-screenshot.png (99 KB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
zorin-os-screenshot.png
99 KB, 400x225
>>51961816
kek, not gonna happen.
2016 is going to be the year of Windows clones.

All hail ZorinOS
http://zorinos.com/tour.html
>>
>>51956908
OK mate you are just stupid
>implying windows will not break down
>implying if it did people won't call their CS friends and fix it themselves
Kek,I started fixing my computer issues when I started using Linux
>implying people care about computers breaking up l
No they don't. If it were so people will all be using adblocks, only allow white listed sites running JavaScript and won't install software from unofficial sites. Most people consider computers as tools that will do what they want them to do. Only hobbyists worry about their computers breaking up. But then only hobbyists install Linux, so yeah you are partially right.
>>
stop jinxing it you fuck
>>
>>51961938
>>>/reddit/
>>
>>51961938
>being into witchcraft
>>
nah senpai, OSX will have its year sooner than loonix
>>
>>51956493
do you need normies using linux for something? There's no purpose for linux to be popular, if people prefer to eat shit - let them.
>>
don't make me post that rhel image OP
>>
File: Screenshot (5).png (2 MB, 2240x540) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (5).png
2 MB, 2240x540
>>51956493
win10 user here, not fed up. loving it.

linux belongs in a VM
>>
>>51962078
we're waiting, faggot
>>
>>51956493
>>year of the normie
God I hope not. Let them stick to their tablets
>>
File: haiku.png (116 KB, 1152x720) Image search: [Google]
haiku.png
116 KB, 1152x720
>>51961816
>>51961851
cucks,
2016 is clearly the year of meme OS.
I bet on Haiku
>>
File: menuetos.jpg (279 KB, 798x599) Image search: [Google]
menuetos.jpg
279 KB, 798x599
>>51962664
>talks about meme OS, doesn't post the king of that category
2016 is going to be the year of me-menuetOS

All hail autism!
>>
Windows 10 might be the best thing that happened for Linux.
>>
>>51956493
That's about as likely as normies moving to PC Gaming.
>>
>>51956841
2016 year of window server th8 when?
>>
File: 1344183995054.jpg (410 KB, 640x735) Image search: [Google]
1344183995054.jpg
410 KB, 640x735
BUT THE AGE OLD QUESTION IS:

can i use wine to play my windows vidya? and if so is my performance gonna be impacted?
>>
>>51956493
Who are these people, and what pleasure could they possibly derive from posting such stale, unfunny bait?

>People will never go to the trouble of installing a new OS.
>>
>>51964239
Wine is balls for modern games. Someone will come along and post about gpu passthrough I'm sure. I just dual boot.
>>
File: yold-win10.png (99 KB, 809x528) Image search: [Google]
yold-win10.png
99 KB, 809x528
I thought this year was year of the linux desktop because windows 10 sucks so bad?
>>
>>51956493
will never happen unless more oems start selling pcs with linux preloaded
>>
>>51956646
i think you mean pitchfork pork which is basically /mu/ anyway so yeah nigga
>>
>>51964318
Nobody will buy them because they see shit like this on the news: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Qj8p-PEwbI

When I left for college 5 years ago I gave my parents my old laptop and installed xubuntu on it so they couldn't get viruses. They've been fine with it and maybe called me for help 4 times the entire 4 years I was in college. I came home recently and they didn't have a million toolbars and desktop popups like they did on their old windows pc.

My sister went off to college recently, and, like the bitch in that video, she's a retard when it comes to computers. I didn't put linux on her laptop because I know there will be a day one of her professors makes her use some windows-only software and I'll become the devil for ruining her grades and all this other bullshit because there's no way I'll be able to teach her how to use a VM to run windows for the once in a blue moon scenario she'd actually need it. You can't force people to learn new things when they don't want to.

THAT is why it won't be the year of the linux desktop for a long, long time unfortunately.
>>
File: DeepinScreenshot20151220113853.png (1 MB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
DeepinScreenshot20151220113853.png
1 MB, 1280x1024
>>51961816
But deepin is good
>>
>>51964371
And that. Yeah. I think for most its a dealbreaker that Skype etc doesn't run on Linux.
>>
>>51962705
What a beautiful picture, did you paint that yourself anon?
>>
>>51964519
Skype works fine on linux. I'm talking about how one day she'll get a CD with an autorunning exe or something on it that only works (in a plug and play, not having to install/do anything extra to get it to work sense) on windows.

If that happens, then I'd get an angry phone call about how I shouldn't have messed with her computer and installed this LEENICKS thing and now she wants me to pay for geeksquad to reinstall windows for her because she's too stupid to figure it out. It's easier to just tell her if she fucks up her windows install I'm too busy to help and she can either be smart and not download funnyvideohaha.avi.exe or pay the stupid tax and let others fix it for her.

To anybody else with a family like that, of which I'm sure there are many on here, move out ASAP. It's the best thing ever.
>>
>>51964372
It truly is. I wish I found out about this distro earlier.
>>
>>51964519

Skype runs on Linux, it just needs shitty pulseaudio.
>>
>>51956632
this
>>
>>51964815
>>51964601
Oh i didn't know. This was meant as a scenario which keeps normal consumers from using Linux.
>>
>>51964601
I just dual booted my parents computer with Ubuntu and Windows. Told them if someone dosn't work right just restart computer and scroll to Windows. Really not that difficult.
>>
File: whyjehovah.jpg (7 KB, 285x177) Image search: [Google]
whyjehovah.jpg
7 KB, 285x177
>Thinking of using linux
>It doesn't work well, try several distros with better success on them popular ones
>Back to Windows

>Some time after
>Thinking of using linux again
>Works well
>More interested in gaymes
>Back to Windows

>Some time after
>Try it again
>Dual boot stuff
>Works well but slow boot
>Back to Windows alone

>Some time after
>Buy new PC with SSD
>Dual boot quick enough
>Develop different interest
>Adobe software only available on Windows
>4/5 of the time use Windows
>Back to Windows alone

>Thinking of it again
>>
File: lexi4prez.png (494 KB, 509x888) Image search: [Google]
lexi4prez.png
494 KB, 509x888
>>51965260
>>
>>51956493
>linux in the desktop
>in the era when the desktop is every year more and more irrelevant
>>
File: fuck (2).jpg (16 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
fuck (2).jpg
16 KB, 400x400
>>51956646
God damn I hate /mu/ so much, elitist cunts with their shit taste
>>
>>51956493

I really want Unity 8 on a Tablet/PC (i.e Lenovo Yoga) device
>>
>>51965365
Wouldn't mind sucking on those
>>
PRAISE MS
>>
Doubtful. I can't see a typical user being able to use Linux as a daily driver. Even if they get pissed off at Windows, they'll be forced to use it after getting even more frustrated with Linux.

But as for most of us here, we probably will end up making the switch. My plan is to run Windows 7 in a VM and use vt-d to give it access to my video card, while I use the Intel graphics for Linux; unless Nvidia gets their shit together and makes a wayland compatible driver. I do wanna try out the new Enlightenment, since it has full Wayland support and I could finally have a Linux distro without X.org in it. I thought "oh hey I'll just install Bodhi Linux" but when I checked their site, I found they forked E17 and did their own thing, so I am reduced to using Arch and setting up E20 myself if I want to give it a shot.
>>
I will stay on Windows 7 until 2020. To get rid of the botnet I will switch to a Debian-based distro in 2021.

I'm already exploring Ubuntu and Lubuntu and they work pretty good but lack some maturity and consistency.

As more and more applications become webapplications (hurr muh cloud) it will be easier for people to switch to other operating systems since all you have to do is turn on your computer, open your browser and at the end of the day close your browser and turn off your computer.
>>
>>51965691

My was always against Linux, because the only thing he knew was Windows and he read on different forums how difficult linux is. When I left for another country i gave him my Ubuntu PC and he was surprised how good it was and uses it now as one of his main PCs.
>>
>>51965736

*My dad
>>
>>51956797
>being this retarded
>>
>>51956743
>All major distros are in no way pursuing that goal,

So they exist just to exist or for no reason at all or what?

The point that matters is anyway that Linux itself only exists because Linus wanted an OS that is able to replace windows desktop OS.

So if a distro can't achieve that, it fails per definition.
>>
>>51956493
>unity

no thanks
>>
>>51961816
>>51964372

If I wasn't running Xubuntu I'd probably go for Deepin, too.
>>
>>51962085
>loving win 10
enjoy your "stability"
>>
>>51965894
So far it has been more stable than 7 or 8
>>
>>51961780
> What would actually make people switch is official OS X on PC. But nah, Tim Cook is too gay to see the potential of this.

There's really no percentage in that for Apple. Their goal is to maximize profits, not marketshare. Going to a larger marketshare on commodity hardware would increase their cost of development and support and really not improve their revenue by much if any. As it is, they've found a comfortable niche where they control what's going on and make money hand-over-fist.
>>
>>51965933
i actually have win 10 installed in dual boot and it has bugs and bluescreens all the time. same for my GFs laptop. also the new bluescreen reports to MS so if you were fapping while it broke some indian from MS will see what "happened"
>>
File: ros_033_shell_2.png (179 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
ros_033_shell_2.png
179 KB, 800x600
2016 will be the year of semi legal Windows compatible clones.
>>
Right then Linux /g/aylords you've got one shot!!

I'm serious, suggest a Linux distro that is mainstream and user friendly (kek), an example of a linux for the masses, and I will format a laptop straight away.
I'll use it in my free time for at least a week but probably a few. If I like my experience I may use linux more and more over the coming years.
If you really care also suggest a distro for capable people for me to move onto.

If I don't enjoy my experience it is Windows 7 all the way to 14 January 2020 and beyond.
>>
How long has the "Year of the Linux Desktop!!!" meme been around?
>>
>>51965260
Seriously this is me, I tried Elementary OS, Arch Linux and Manjaro. They are great but I missed Adobe Photoshop. And no, GIMP is no alternative for that.
>>
>>51956708
>nigger who believes that the correct term is GNU/Linux
>nigger who doesn't understand that RMS and the FSF are full of bullshit
>>
>>51956646
>>51965437
/mu/ is mainly just faggots like you complaining, which is why it's such a shit board, not the elitism.
>>
>>51956493
hahahaha kekkkkkk lollll
ebin meme
Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.