[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My computer is old, It wasn't top of the line when I got
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: amiagaemer..jpg (32 KB, 459x373) Image search: [Google]
amiagaemer..jpg
32 KB, 459x373
My computer is old, It wasn't top of the line when I got it, and its finally just shitting out on me.

If I got more ram, upgraded the processor, and put in a better cooling system, do you think my setup can be salvaged? Or should I retire the old maid and build myself a new computer?
>>
Shitting out on you how?
>>
>>51955797
it leaves little droppings of shit on the floor timetotime
>>
>>51955797
Can no longer handle having things like DOTA and skype running at the same time, gets really hot, things like that.

I've been through and dusted everything with a brush and airblower, which helped the temperature a bit, but I've had it crash due to heat before (which makes me feel like I'm being mean to it).

I'd like to think if I just bought more memory and put in a new fan it would be good as new, but as someone who is only tech savvy as long its just grandma asking how to turn on the TV, I fear I'll end up wasting money on a lost cause.

I don't need to run top of the line games at max specs, I just want to run my pleb tier games while skyping my friends and browsing Cantonese woodworking forums.
>>
File: 1440719916174.jpg (35 KB, 640x425) Image search: [Google]
1440719916174.jpg
35 KB, 640x425
>>51955752
New computer yours a shit
>>
>>51955870
Run it with the side of the case open. If temps are good under load (~65C), you need better case cooling. If they're still bad you need to fix your CPU cooler.

It's a perfectly solid CPU and your GPU can still handle low end games.
Might want to do a clean install of 10 after you sort out your temp issues.
>>
>>51955988
Do you think ten will help? I've been avoiding it under the "7 works, 10 has a direct feed to the NSA, why upgrade?" thought process.

I have thought about a clean install of 7 though. It would force me to finally get around to organizing all my files, which would be a good thing.
>>
>>51955988
And the temps jump up to 70 under high load. Near 90 it crashes, but I've only forced it that high when I was bruteforcing tripcodes for another board.

Usually the heat is all near the back, where the fan is blowing. Touching the side of the case, it actually feels cold to the touch.
>>
>>51955752
Reapply thermal compound
Faster ram or
280x level upgrade.
>>
>>51956070
>Do you think ten will help?
No, I think that if you can't figure out a temp issue that you probably can't keep your OS clean, so you're probably due for a reinstall to clear out your 90 startup items and 30 toolbars.
10 itself won't help, it's just a fresh system is great and you might as well upgrade while it's free.

>>51956097
Opening the side will tell you if it's getting hot because the inside of your case is too warm.
>>
>>51955890
is that woody herrelson transition into a woman?
wow
>>
>>51955752
You are at the point with RAM that getting more don't be such a noticeable difference. only get more RAM of you are actually using up all 8GB
>>
>>51955752 Get some new thermal paste maybe a bigger cooler, and a ssd boot drive, also if funds allow a newer cooler running video card
>>
File: startup.jpg (60 KB, 572x323) Image search: [Google]
startup.jpg
60 KB, 572x323
>>51956349
I don't have much running at startup, I prefer to start things on my own. Startup time isn't a big issue.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.