[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did I do good /g/? My mom called me like 5 times this morning
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: image.png (121 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.png
121 KB, 640x1136
Did I do good /g/? My mom called me like 5 times this morning harassing me about what I should get for Christmas. Did I do good? I need a new speaker setup
>>
You should have told her before black Friday when sane people get presents
>>
>>51949531
>using f.am
>>
>>51949531

>asking for $500 present

holy shit are you a fucking cuck? What kind of piece of shit asks his parents to buy shit for them over the age of 13?
>>
>>51949797
>sane people
>buying presents on black friday
black friday has become notorious over the last few years for violence and deaths as mobs get frothing mad over a shitty deal on electronics.

To add insult to injury, most of the electronics prices stick around within 10-15% of the black friday deals that you were supposed to head out at 2am to fight over.

I'm not clear what the OP is doing in his text message - it looks like he's asking his mom to buy herself a gift nominally "from" him, in which case really his gift is just buying advice, which any idiot could get from google.

Being a condescending dick with the "you should find a decent deal on eBay" shit is really irksome. If you knew anything about eBay, you'd know that combing through that shit looking for a good deal is an effort in itself. Literally the least you could do given that this is your "gift" to her is point her to a single listing that you've vetted in your own way (checked the seller reputation, etc...) and verified that it was one of the decent deals you promised would be there.
>>
Did you do... anything?
>>
>>51950571
I think OP is actually telling his mom to buy him a gift, a very expensive gift, and telling her to comb through ebay for it

which is much worse
>>
>>51949531
>My mom called me like 5 times this morning harassing me about what I should get for Christmas.

if she had any sense she would skip buying you a gift this year.
>>
>>51950571
Buy online like a sane person.

I'm sorry for being a dick but this really is advice for the future.
>>
With how difficult it is to not just get dumb shit and terrible deals buying technology these days my parents let me purchase my own gifts so that I can wait for the right moment so as to let them expend less money and I can use my full /g/ knowledge in purchase.
>>
>>51950656
Wow, that makes a lot more sense than the conclusion I jumped to. I think I just really didn't want to believe that your scenario could even be possible.

When I was growing up, my family was wealthy (I'm not saying this to cast myself as wealthy now - my dad found ways to blow everything he made and I've been financially on my own since I was 16), but even in my circumstances I never felt it was appropriate to directly ask for something more expensive than $200 unless it was clear I needed it for school or something.

If I wanted something expensive like a video game console (which at the time were in the $200 range but starting to creep up) I had to be careful with how I talked about it to avoid sounding like (or in fact being) an entitled brat.

I remember on one occasion getting my parents to buy me something from eBay that was expensive; once they had offered to get it, I had to find the listing I wanted them to make the purchase on, show that I had done my due diligence (that it was the best-priced non-scam product, that the seller wasn't a scammer, etc...), before they would do anything.

Telling my parents nebulously to hunt on eBay for something I wanted would have been totally disrespectful.
>>
>>51950229
well she is his family
>>
>>51950782
I stopped going out for Black Friday deals a few years ago, but even in those last years the only places my friends and I would go were clothing stores. Good clothing doesn't get marked down as aggressively (there are seasons and styles that get marked down, but men's clothing doesn't experience as wild fluctuations as women's I guess), and good, high-quality clothing isn't going to look crummy compared to any "next gen" stuff 2 or 3 years later. Good clothes will still be good 5 or 10 years out.

It helps to be fully grown adults because buying clothing that'll be good 10 years out does little good if you're a 16-year-old and there might still be some growing left in you (as is the case, I imagine, with OP).

If I want electronics, I keep vaguely aware of what deals are going on around Black Friday/"Cyber Monday", but I'm not going to hit refresh every half second like a meth addict looking to score a fix. If I don't need tech_product_X right this second, I can defer that purchase for a month or two and pay less than I would've under the Black Friday deal and get it with none of the manic bullshit that goes on around the holidays (not just deal-related, but shipping-related as well).

The only reason to buy stuff around Black Friday and to put yourself through this whole ordeal is if you have a deadline like Christmas and you and your family observes that stuff religiously. I'm fortunate that my family doesn't anymore (after my family went nuclear my sisters and I just send each other gifts informally), but I recognize that some people go to a place they consider home, have a christmas tree, wrap up gifts, do the whole exchange, etc...

But know this: life around this time of year is an order of magnitude less frustrating and onerous when your family just gets some chill about holidays.
>>
The fact that he used senpai
>>
>>51949531
>harassing
I wish I was u
>>
>>51951056
>you can't call your family "family"
are you the type of nigga to call your parents by their first name?
>>
>>51951102
not him, but calling a single member of your family "family" seems to misunderstand that "family" is a collective or plural term, like "people". there's no "s" at the end, but as we all know (hopefully), not all english words pluralize with an "s" at the end.
>>
>>51951013
Just see tech deals on /g/, let the neets waste their time.

It won't burden you. Anyways I shouldn't let you steal my hardware deals =^).
>>
File: cap.png (6 KB, 177x55) Image search: [Google]
cap.png
6 KB, 177x55
>>51949531
You could have done better, the writing's on the wall.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.