[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do companies sell their old PCs? Do they sell it with the original
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3
Do companies sell their old PCs?
Do they sell it with the original hard drive?

How common would you say the use of encryption is on these machines if they are within the walls of the business/corp. ?

Could someone just data recover the HD from a corporate machine for some info?

Another thing that has me worried is GOP candidates legitimately believing building a backdoor into encryption is a good idea.
>>
Depends on the company. I know some technology companies literally just throw their computers in the dumpster because their shit is supposed to be so secretive that once it's done for work use it's never supposed to be used again.
>>
We usually pull the drives and throw them in our grinder that we use to destroy expired drugs, then donate what's left to a charity. We give them a check once a quarter to buy new drives so they can do something with the machines. We used to use DBAN on the original drives, but after crunching the numbers, we realized just giving them some money was more economical.

Also, if you seriously believe only the GOP wants a backdoor into all encryption schemes, do the country a favor and never vote again.
>>
File: Dell tech support.webm (729 KB, 254x450) Image search: [Google]
Dell tech support.webm
729 KB, 254x450
>>51945703
>>
>>51945869

Brutal.
>>
My company has a contract with HP. We get new computers every two years and give the old ones back to HP. I believe they then resell the two year old ones to smaller companies at discounts. Double the money.
>>
>>51945703
guy ran away & ditched his wife with the business. i got a 100 dollar 2011 mac mini out of it.
>>
>>51945869
what's the point of destroying the processor?
>>
>>51945961
It's a recycling facility. It's far quicker to destroy the mobo than it is to unscrew the screws manually.
>>
>>51945986

They probably ship them off to Africa or Asia where almost-free labor pulls the components out and tosses them in a chemical bath to leach out the gold.
>>
>>51945961
Probably regulations that only hardware that doesn't work can be shipped to recycle facilities abroad
>>
File: 1447762598258.jpg (272 KB, 953x1200) Image search: [Google]
1447762598258.jpg
272 KB, 953x1200
>>51945703
I work for a city, and we don't even wipe them most of the time, just throw the hole PC with HDD out.
But you can hardly get anything off from them, because most of the Work is saved on NAS Systems.
Frankly nobody cares.
>>
>>51945703
>The Uni I work for does some hush hush stuff for Govt
>We have to throw out all the stuff PCs we worked with
>Their was a sweet Xeon server
>Ask boss if I can take it
>Still has the hard drive that we worked on with
I probs have a tonne of Govt Secrets hidden in the hard drive on the server
>>
>>51945703
for my office(s) i pull the hdds (store them somewhere then toss the machine in the bin
>>
>>51946247

Oh yeah, we save them for a while too. Just in case the recently-separated associate brings a lawsuit against the company for whatever reason. Run out of vacation time and keep missing work? Just lawyer up and scream racism or sexism, or if you're really lucky, both.
>>
>>51946331
only really store ours because killing them on mass is a pain, they dont take up that much space
>>
>>51945847
>we realized just giving them some money was more economical
so your saying that the cost of wiping a drive was greater than the cost of buying a new one?
>>
My company takes the PCs back to our office. First we remove the hard drives, then we evaluate each PC: if it's functional and meets certain requirements, we'll make it into a "loaner" PC that we give to companies if we're gonna be fixing their PCs in the shop. If it doesn't meet those requirements or is not fully functional, we'll either take all the parts that do meet requirements out, or use spare parts from other machines to upgrade it.

If there's nothing worth keeping, we give it to a local tech recycling company.

So since we work with only doctors and the drives have medical records on them, we wipe them and then either send them to the recycling company or repurpose them, for personal use or for the loaner machines. All we have to do is wipe them and then reimage them and the data is virtually unrecoverable outside of a lab and no one is gonna spend that much money to find out what Joe Dumbfuck's gingivitis looks like.
>>
>>51945703
Juliette Goglia is a jewy qt
>>
>>51945703
>Do companies sell their old PCs?
Yes

>Do they sell it with the original hard drive?
Sometimes

>How common would you say the use of encryption is on these machines if they are within the walls of the business/corp. ?
Not common

It depends on the company and their policies. Usually they'll just pull the HDDs to prevent the situation you're thinking of. That's why you see so many business-grade laptops missing them in eBay listings. But you'll occasionally come across devices that haven't been properly wiped. One of the biggest examples of this is in the used copier market. Large MFPs all have HDDs included and store an image of everything copied. This is very often neglected when disposing of them.
>>
>>51945703
Yes. Corporations sell shit as is, overwritten 1-1 with zeros.

I actually have a story of my own
>moved houses
>house is big, a lot of people living together
>5 desktops, 2 consoles, a few smart tvs
>I need a switch
>go around internet to look for a cheap switch
>find one, buy it, wait a week for it to come in the mail
>mrrr cisco you motherfucker
>login
>...previous settings are still there
>sniff through the switch
>find out it had settings when it worked in one of the biggest bank in poorland here
This was fucked. They left so many things, all you needed to do is sacrifice some time to reverse their network.
>>
>>51945703
>Another thing that has me worried is GOP candidates legitimately believing building a backdoor into encryption is a good idea.

Cruz, Rand and maybe Trump are the only actual conservatives running, and (I could be wrong about Trump, it's hard to get real info about what he thinks because the media goes apeshit every time he says something thats not PC) none of them support NSA backdoors or any other stupid bullshit like that.
>>
>>51946922
Probably the money it costs to hire people to run DBAN on tons of HDDS (DBAN is slow as shit) is more than just buying new drives, since they probably just replace them with some <500GB WD greens or something cheap like that.
>>
>>51947611
All companies are retarded with cybersecurity.

I went to a conference for my industry recently where they had a white hat hacker do a talk about how some of the control systems in the industry can be broken into more easily than you'd think. I don't even want to say what industry in case it gives anybody some bad ideas.

>inb4 "implying anyone on /g/ knowing how to hack"

It only takes one.
>>
>>51945703
>Another thing that has me worried is GOP candidates legitimately believing building a backdoor into encryption is a good idea.

Doesn't matter what the GOP wants, the NSA already does this and has been caught knowing about encryption exploits long before the general public did.
>>
>>51947837
The NSA/GCHQ need to be completely disbanded. The fact they couldn't find those fuckers in California openly talking about jihad all over the internet before they shot up their coworkers proves they're just sacrificing everyone's right to privacy for absolutely no return.

Not that it would be worth it even if they got a return on it mind you, but it does make it absolutely impossible to defend their practices to all but the most insane/cucked politicians knowing it doesn't even help.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.