[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
closed source software is in 99% of the cases better than open
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: Open-Vs-Closed-source-150x150.jpg (10 KB, 150x150) Image search: [Google]
Open-Vs-Closed-source-150x150.jpg
10 KB, 150x150
closed source software is in 99% of the cases better than open sores software. agree with this statement?
>>
>>51945320
>sores
underage detected
>>
define 'better'
>>
>>51945344
more features, better support, more stability.
>>
shit thread

instal gentoo
>>
>>51945320
>makes a claim with no backing
>spouts a random opinion
>expects the internet to fight him in real life
>>
>>51945363
Entirely case dependant.

Windows Server is far less stable than a well maintained Linux Server.

But a piece of software put together by a 12th grader whom has labelled it "open source", is going to be less stable and full-featured than a piece of software developed by a multi-million dollar company.

So, I'm going to refer you back to a previous post at this point.
Please see (>>51945342)
>>
No, ms office can do less and operate worse than libreoffice. Libreoffice can open and save any document saved in any other office package. Ms office only opens documents saved in ms office. Or they mess up the layout, makes images darker and so on if it is saved with anything else, like Google docs or libreoffice or whatever. Ms office is trash
>>
yes
still, there are many good free software
>>
>>51945447
such as?
>>
>>51945483
templeos
>>
>>51945320
I want /v/ to leave
>>
Ehe. Yeah.
Compare Oracle DB and PostgreSQL. Yes, Oracle is relatively stable and doesn't have that much security bugs (compared to e.g. MySQL). However, for the amount of shekels they want for their licence fuckers should made bulletproof. Postgres has fewer flaws since every time they find one their devs patch it asap. And it's free. So no, fuck this 'closed software is better' shit, it's a lie told by techcucks and mongoloids at those companies.
>>
File: 2627281007_fcbc8fb3fb_o.jpg (390 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
2627281007_fcbc8fb3fb_o.jpg
390 KB, 1600x1200
>>51945320
Open

Pic says it all
>>
>>51945412
But Solaris, AIX and HP-UX are all more stable and more robust than any distro of Linux.

Please name me a distro that allows you to physically swap the CPU and keep the server running.
>>
>>51946796
>B-but 99% of supercomputers run L-Linux!!

Don't try to argue with penguins, they'll just honk and make nasally noises until you go away.
>>
>>51946818
That's not wrong.

Doesn't mean that the actual children of UNIX aren't superior to Linux though.
>>
>>51945342
nobody here uses open sores, it's a meme. /g/ is to talk about the latest windows, video games, and smartphones.
>>
>>51945320
No
>>
>>51945320
Depends.I consider Open Source and Free Software to be different solutions which addresses differnt problems.
What is important is the number of developers.Linux being shit is a meme,desu.However whats the problem with it is the lack of third party apps.Linux server is more stable than windows because there are more developers for it than Windows servers.Its because during the earlier days all computer oses were shit so Linux was the only free shit available.Windows has more app developers than Linux.
Why do you see many people who call Linux or Windows is shit?Because 4chan only attracts the extremists who want to get over their imferiority complex in real life by acting superior here.So as a member of this edgy board,GTFO freetard Linux is shit.Enjoy your non working OS that don't have wifi and Giu.
>>
File: 1449052084309.jpg (69 KB, 692x960) Image search: [Google]
1449052084309.jpg
69 KB, 692x960
No, half the open source software out there is pretty fucking useful to be honest.

I use MeGUI and Gimp a lot and they do their jobs perfectly.
>>
>>51945421
> Using an office suite
kek
>>
What matters is whether or not it's being maintained
>>
>>51946796
>But Solaris, AIX and HP-UX are all more stable and more robust than any distro of Linux.
If that's so then how come no one uses them?
>>
The use of software is just user preference over time. It can be changed.

Opensource/free software and proprietary are different issues and more of a social problem.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.