[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Convince me to learn C++ over C# now that I have a solid understanding
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 4
File: 1449526884861.png (22 KB, 217x225) Image search: [Google]
1449526884861.png
22 KB, 217x225
Convince me to learn C++ over C# now that I have a solid understanding of C.

Go.
>>
no. heres what you do
>your desktop. meet hammer
>your body. meet cold, dark corner.
>curl up in fetal position and wait until you starve
>???
>profit
>>
C++ compiles to binary. C# compiles to .NET bytecode and requires Mono on non-windows. C++ is like bloated C. C# is like Java with no compatibility.

I say go with C++
>>
C# is just fine anon, don't listen to the losers stuck in the past
>>
>>51936241
AKA everyone writing native programs?
>>
>>51936241
What will I lose out on by learning C# over C++?

>>51936200
But I was reading some article saying that C# will compile like native languages and run with same speed as C/C++
>>
>>51936286
C# is a whole different beast than C++. C++ will add to your C, C# doesn't work like that at all.
>>
>>51936321
I mean I was in the process of learning C++ and it definitely seems more extensive but it's just getting a little too hard for me. I just want to use something a little bit easier and I don't see how C++ would be beneficial over C# in my case.

What would I even be losing out on?
>>
>>51936278
That would include C# devs.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn584397(v=vs.110).aspx
>>
>>51936387
>What would I even be losing out on?
Anything computationally expensive. Encryption, game engine design. Also anything that requires low level stuff.
>>
>>51936478
>Also anything that requires low level stuff.

Winapi is easier to use in C#.
>>
>>51936438
So does this link basically show that C# and .net isn't half-bad?
>>
>>51936540
>implying anyone would ever want to use winapi
>>
>>51936321
>C++ will add to your C
What? No it won't.
>>
>>51936597
The difference between C++ and C is a lot smaller than C or C++ and C# is what I'm getting at.
>>
>>51936563
No. It shows you that it's fucking awesome.
>>
>>51936623
Take a look at 'modern' C and 'modern' C++ and say that again.
>>
C# and C is a great combo.

Gives you the option to go fully native or VM.

C# has a better OO implementation than C++.
>>
>>51936579
Well why wouldn't you?

How am I suppose to make programs that interact with the OS?
>>
>>51936669
Thank you Rajeesh, Microsoft has deposited $0.02 in your bank account for your good work.
>>
learn both, fuck bitches, get money.
Don't forget to enjoy the comfy VS ide.
>>
>>51936635
>>51936669
So is C# pretty much the GOAT then?

Now that you can get native language-performance from .net does that not make it God-tier?

Can you hook native processes in C#?
>>
>>51936708
You can do anything you can do in the win32 api in C#. And you can easily call any functions from native DLLs.

It's over. Java is finished.
>>
>>51936708
>So is C# pretty much the GOAT then?
Sure, if you like to take Microsoft's throbbing cock.
>>
>>51936744
>tfw sendkeys is so fucking shit not even the on screen keyboard uses it.
api all day erryday.
But seriously it's fucking awful, emulators hate it, i hate it, you probably hate it.
>>
>>51936775
Isn't it done with SendInput()?
>>
File: vector.png (81 KB, 694x801) Image search: [Google]
vector.png
81 KB, 694x801
>>51936046
No

If you have to ask whether to use C++ or C#, the answer is always C#
>>
C# is meme language
>>
File: le le guin face.jpg (33 KB, 280x420) Image search: [Google]
le le guin face.jpg
33 KB, 280x420
>>51936708
>Now that you can get native language-performance from .net
>>
>>51936884
'x is a meme' is a meme, anon.
>>
>>51936708
C# is garbage even discounting its dependency on microsoft. Inb4 shills and their "it's opensource I swear" garbageposting. Its only use is in being a windows-only java replacement - it's barely better than it. Mono is too garbage to even consider using C# elsewhere than on windows.
>>
>>51936906
>C# is garbage even discounting its dependency on microsoft. Inb4 shills and their "it's opensource I swear" garbageposting. Its only use is in being a windows-only java replacement

What if I only plan on developing FOR Windows?
>>
Mono really isn't that bad if you stick to certain API's and not try to use Windows API's on Linux, etc.

OpenRA is C# mono. The best open source RTS.

Every Unity game is C# mono.
>>
>>51936937
then ur an faget
>>
>>51936478
>Encryption

Why the fuck are you writing your own encryption?

>game engine design

Why the fuck are you writing your own non-trivial game engine?

>Also anything that requires low level stuff.

For 99% of projects, you will never need direct access to "low level stuff".

>>51936046

OP, C++ is an infinite vortex of sadness from which you will never escape. You will either stop using it out of frustration, or turn into a C++ programmer which will warp your brain beyond all sanity.

If you absolutely positively need to use it, come loaded for bear:

- Write RAII-friendly, exception-safe code, and make liberal use of C++11 features, ESPECIALLY smart pointers.
- Prefer using C libraries with your own wrapper code to C++ ones unless you can guarantee the exception-safety of their library code.
- Use the C standard library as little as humanly possible, ESPECIALLY their string functions.
- Use CMake so other people building your software won't want to kill you.
- Use a unit testing framework, and compile your unit tests with asan enabled so you don't shoot yourself in the foot with silent memory corruption bugs.
>>
i have never used C# in a professional environment just on my own personal projects, but it's actually the best language I have ever used, kind of has the easyness of php/javascript with the power of functional languages and C

>inb4 shill
>>
>>51936975
>>51937011
I think I will stick with C# t-then.

Seems really good actually, most people's arguments against it aren't even valid points it seems to mostly boil down to:
>Windows is for fags
>Irrational hatred of microsoft
>It doesn't have -this one obscure feature-
>It isn't that good for -this one thing that 99% of hobbyists will never use it for-
>>
>>51936046
>Convince me
added to my 4chanX filter list, thanks!
>>
>>51937035
But windows is for fags.
Microsoft should be hated.

C# is okay in it's own right.

Things can be okay in their own right. You don't have to be part of some big microsoft fan club to like a language.
>>
File: wat is this.png (22 KB, 803x536) Image search: [Google]
wat is this.png
22 KB, 803x536
What the fuck is this?

Why do I need to make some retarded account and sign-in in order to use this piece of fucking shit?

What do?
>>
>>51937119
Wow fuck sakes OP stop being a retard and get MonoDevelop.

You're legit starting to piss me off with this shillshit.
>>
>>51936975
>Why the fuck are you writing your own encryption?
Fun, plus it's a really good learning experience.

>Why the fuck are you writing your own non-trivial game engine?
Same.

>For 99% of projects, you will never need direct access to "low level stuff".

1% is highly significant since 60% of those 99% are codemonkeys writing 1000 clone of flappy bird.
>>
I haven't used C#, but I have used C++. It took you x amount of time to learn C. Well with C++, you'll pretty much never stop learning, and that is because of the evolving C++ standard. C++98 is like C with some better libraries and classes, which are basically fancy structs. C++11 is a whole different monster. A lot of things were added, a lot of things removed. Some things changed. But that being said there is just so much C++11 stuff to learn. It doesn't feel like the low level of C, it almost feels like Java, except not too high level. Then there is C++14 and C++17, the former will gain popularity and the latter is being developed and once it has matured it too will gain popularity.

My point is that C++ isn't really something you pick up for x amount of time and learn, you learn it and practice it and never stop learning and practicing it. C# from what I understand is pretty much the same thing. The difference is that C# was designed as the superior Java language, while C++ was designed as the superior C language. C# will be completely new, C++ will have some similarities to what you have already learned. C# isn't as popular, and is primarily used for Windows programming. Most game dev is done in C++.

It's really your choice, but for employability you could learn just enough C++ and just enough C# to at least look competent. I wouldn't recommend going one or the other, but as a consequence you won't master either.
>>
>>51936937
This
>>
>>51937119
You already have a MS account probably since you're using Windows, just do it faggot.
>>
>>51937219
do you think anyone I going to read that shit
>>
>>51937253
If anyone legit wants and answer and wants to see an opinion that isn't a shitpost then sure, don't care otherwise. If I had anything better to do, don't you think I wouldn't be here?
>>
>>51937247
I-i don't

Wat do
>>
>>51937296
registering will only cause it to say you don't have a license on the account and you still can't use it
sorry bro
>>
>>51937219
>It's really your choice, but for employability you could learn just enough C++ and just enough C# to at least look competent

It seems in order to be a C++ developer you'd need many years of experience in order to get employed, kind of like an either or thing, no inbetween. Whereas for webdev and .NET you could get employed with moderate knowledge and learn most of it on the job.
>>
>>51937296
Jesus christ. This faggot actually thought anything by microstoft would be free.
>>
>>51937311
I thought this was the community edition, why can't I just use it normally
>>
>>51937334
You thought /g/ saying that using C# == being a microshit cuck was a joke? Tough shit.
>>
>>51937401
I don't know what is a meme on /g/ and what is not anymore.

People recommended thinkpads, I got one and it works perfectly but lately I keep seeing anti-Thinkpad threads. So I know that is clearly not a meme but who else knows what is a meme and what is not.
>>
Is making memedroid apps with C# a troll?

Is Xamarin a meme?
>>
>>51937638
well /pol/?
>>
>>51937638
is Xamarain /g/ approved or not?
>>
http://www.hammerprinciple.com/therighttool/items/c-2/c-3
>>
>>51936046
C++ if you want to make games (or C# if you only plan to make indie shit with Unity).
>>
>>51938073
>Is a proprietary software approved by /g/
>>
>>51938198
But I want to make android apps for some shekels

i will plaster them with ads lmao
>>
hope that you people praising C# are also indirectly praising Java, which is 99% similar to C#
>>
>>51938255
But C# improves on java in every single way.
>>
>>51938294
There's not too many vital ways it improves in. It's just retarded to love the other and hate another because of how similar they are.
>>
>>51937638
Is it good or not senpaitachi
>>
>>51937219
>Well with C++, you'll pretty much never stop learning, and that is because of the evolving C++ standard.

You don't "never stop learning C++" because the standard is evolving. You never stop learning C++ because C++ is fucking massive and complicated. Other living languages are actually comprehensible in a reasonable amount of time.
>>
>>51940649
That sounds needlessly difficult.

I can see how knowing C++ would be beneficial but actually developing and deploying a very large project seems disastrous.
>>
>>51937175

Okay! You can 'toy' with either of those in most languages as well.

And when you're done toying and need something powerful and performant, OpenSSL bindings exist for damn near every language and Unity is a thing that exists. In neither case will you ever have to write a line of C++, and those were just the two options I could recall off the top of my head, there are dozens of others.
>>
>>51940698
Good goy, join us at Microsoft (tm), don't fall for the meme that is the language most used for large projects worldwide!
>>
>>51940732
Shit changes.

The fact of the matter is that Microsoft is making C# and .net overall better regularly.
>>
>>51940558
Vidyagaymin
Code vidyas annon!
>>
>>51936241
Have fun learning from curries
Heeeeryo wulcum tu my visual c# tutoriel. My name is rrrrrussel.
>>
If those are the two options that first came to mind, you don't have a "solid understanding" of C.
>>
>>51936046
>solid understanding of C
Despite load boasting from the C# camp about interop with C, C++ is still a more C-like language than C#.

Also there's the fact that C++ templates are the most powerful language construct you will ever use outside of lisp-style macros and while everyone likes to shit on them for being complex they are legitimately better than like 99% of what passes for analogous functionality in other languages (looking at java's excuse for generics).
>>
>>51937035
>>It doesn't have -this one obscure feature-
Just because you don't personally like or use <thing> doesn't make it an obscure feature that no one should care about.
>>
>>51937247
your probly a win10 CVCK
Why would you asume using windows means having an MS account?
>>
Yeah, using VS requires a MS account.

And that requires giving them your phone number for verification.

Have fun, OP.

I'd almost tell you to go with C++, but since you're on the Microsoft stack anyway, there's no helping you anyway.
>>
>>51943375
>Yeah, using VS requires a MS account.
>And that requires giving them your phone number for verification.

Since when?

You know you can use any existing webmail account for your micro$hit account, right?
>>
>>51943416
>Since when?
Virtual Studo 2010 at least

>You know you can use any existing webmail account for your micro$hit account, right?
AFAIK doesn't get you around the verification.
>>
>>51943444
Fuck that's really shitty.

What do people usually do?
>>
>>51943458
Getting a fucking MS account.
>>
>>51943479
Yeah but who wants to do phone verification...
>>
>>51943493
You want to code C#, right? C# means going all in on Microsoft anyway; Mono is a colossally slow piece of shit that can't even WinForms correctly and doesn't do WPF at all.
>>
>>51936046
>Go
Yeah that's what you should learn or you are willing to learn something that's bretty great for writing you should checkout clojure
>>
>>51936046
What are you looking to do?

It can't hurt to learn c++'s extra little things. But if you're looking to push some visual CRUD app out the door soon then c# is a lower resistance path.
>>
Why don't you learn something that is actually useful?
Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.