[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is gentoo > all linux distros?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: images (1).jpg (11 KB, 384x384) Image search: [Google]
images (1).jpg
11 KB, 384x384
Gonna install Linux on my laptop. Heard Gentoo is the best.
>>
nice meme
>>
I have a low opinion of Gentoo GNU/Linux.
Gentoo is a GNU/Linux distribution, but its developers don't recognize this; they call it "Gentoo Linux". That means they are treating me and the GNU Project disresepectfully.

More importantly, Gentoo steers the user towards nonfree programs, which is why it is not one of our recognized free distros.
>>
>>51928000
Im actually wondering though.
>>
>>51928017
this
>>
>>51927975
Gentoo is great if you love software tailored to your computer

>>51928017
stallman pls, just use license groups to filter out non free software.
>>
>>51928017
Are you Richard Stallman?
>>
File: nowgentooautismo.jpg (266 KB, 1024x897) Image search: [Google]
nowgentooautismo.jpg
266 KB, 1024x897
>>51927975
>Heard Gentoo is the best.
A lot of people do, after you try it and experience it's long term community you'll realise why nobody in the real world uses that shit.
>>
>>51928037
This, I'm using arch linux and I laugh when people recommend gentoo. They'll never become a professional like me because they have to wait two weeks to compile the thing when they could have had it working in 15 minutes. Oh well, not everyone was meant to become linux professionals.
>>
I tried Gentoo once.
It seems good if you are willing to learn how USE flags and other mechanisms works.
Plus during installation, you can configure what you do or don't want/need in the kernel.
My thoughts is that even the installation will teach you a lot more about Linux than using graphical installer.
Gentoo to learn, yes. Gentoo for everyday use ... can't answer that for you, just try it, it has huge documentation (and trust me, you will need it).
>>
I installed gentoo on 4 machines this year if I can use it then so can any dumbass that's ever read lpthw's command line crash course
>>
>>51928089
>>51928092
>Actually installing gentoo and even enjoying it
literal autism
>>
>>51928082
nice troll
>>
>>51927975
Use Debian
>>
>>51928116
Arch Linux teaches you how your computer actually works. It's basically LFS without the autism.
>>
>>51928132
>he's going all out
>>
>>51928100
>I tried Gentoo once (>>51928089)
>Actually installing gentoo and even enjoying it
Do you even read bro ? I don't criticize what i don't try first.
>Let's spit on other's choices.
The only autistic here is you.
>>
>>51928132
familiar bait
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-12-18_09-32-33.png (459 KB, 1364x771) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-12-18_09-32-33.png
459 KB, 1364x771
>>51928089
based.
>>51928092
this. Gentoo is not even hard.
I use it every day, no complains so far. It's true, that it needs some time to compile large packets, but I often do it overnight, so that's a non-issue. If I wanted absolute stability I'd stay on the stable branch, but since I am not a noob I can stay on the bleeding edge.
Even in that case, not a single crash/X11 fuckup/random packet dev faggotry/unintended behavior has happened until today (maybe except pulseaudio sometimes not starting correctly and doing whatever the fuck it likes, but it's known that pottering is a faggot and can't code).
Pic is screen from an other thread about gentoo. This is already 3rd. Are you all particularly obsessed with this OS, just today?
>>
>>51928132
here's your reply
>>
>>51928273
What "frightens" me with the USE flags is that if you miss one for compilation, you will lack of a feature (e.g. X11 forwarding for ssh).
>>
>>51928334
The worst thing that could happen to you is wasting some time to recompile some packet. Depending on packet, it could take more or less time. For example, if you want your mesa driver to have some feature/compatibility with someshit, - you set it beforehand. If you don't know what to do: leave it at the defaults, they are pretty sane.
I usually do not edit my USE flags, - except for those cases when I want something particular (php, for example: it has A LOT of use flags that you can set to support shit: posix, imagick, sqlite, etc. etc.).
Emerge may often ask you to add shit to your package.use file
>do it.
Overall, GNU/linux is an OS where it's really hard to fuck up something to the unfixable point. Gentoo is one of those distros where, given that you've given a glimpse to the documentation, everything is repairable.
My personal huge fuckups with this OS were all due to me forgetting to do something. A perfect example, - last time I recompiled the kernel I forgot to generate initramfs, and passed whole week wandering wtf did I do wrong... I felt like a retard when I understood what happened.
>>
Gentoo does seem to "just work" after 5 hours of compiling and configuring to get an initial install going, but I still dislike it.

The entire philosophy of the distribution goes out of the window when you find out just how little performance is gained from compiling everything yourself with USE flags.

In terms of customization it's unbeatable, but who cares whether software supports Bluetooth even if you don't have that on your system? It's all about performance and the gain is negligible.
>>
>>51928082
It always amazes me now many people don't have the tech know-how to use a superior distro (gentoo) and only know enough to bash it (no pun intended).

Use what you want, settle for what you're given, and if that's all you want/need, good on ya.

Been using Gentoo since at least 2005 and am a linux developer. My release candidates run under (specifically) RHEL and CentOS - which I run in VM's under Gentoo and connect to via ssh. Best of both worlds...

Gentoo master race checking in...
>>
>>51928533
And too, you're really silly if waiting for something ot compile makes you less productive. Only shows that you should go back to a bin distro (Windows, OSX, Ubuntu, etc.)
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.