[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So is this book still relevant? Will I learn key programming
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: SICP.jpg (95 KB, 500x492) Image search: [Google]
SICP.jpg
95 KB, 500x492
So is this book still relevant? Will I learn key programming concepts with this book? If not, what would you recommend?
>>
Head Start C
>>
>>51923806
SICP and The Art of Computer Programming are typically more suitable for the computer scientists and programmers that appreciate alot of the applied mathematics involved.

If you're just trying to make websites or fuck around with programming languages both of these books are either going to be way over your head or you're going to be wasting your time.

Otherwise I would just pick up some O'Reilly books on languages you find interesting.
>>
Foundations of Computer Science : C Edition is excellent and free. Good halfway point between SICP and an ordinary learn to program book
>>
>>51923840
So if I'm interested in computer science would enjoy having a career in a research field relating to it, I should read it?
>>
>>51923905
>Foundations of Computer Science : C Edition is excellent and free.

Don't mean to bother but is the C edition the one found on stanford's website?
>>
>>51923905
>>51923950
Wait never mind I'm retarded carry on
>>
>>51923915
Yeah but before diving into it you should be pretty familiar with boolean logic in my opinion.

Without at least a minor foundation in understanding logic structures and have decent comprehension in understanding code syntax (regardless of language) SICP will be kind of advanced.

SICP as a first programming/computer science book is kind of silly in my opinion. Sure you can do it, but you may have to re-read a page or two.

However, it was (is?) introductory MIT computer science material (first or second year) a couple decades ago and I think it still is.

I would buy it anyway and start reading it regardless. You could always take your time with it.
>>
>>51923973
You have any recommendations for a first comp sci book?
>>
>>51924067
If you're absolutely sure you mean computer science, then learn with C.

If you mean programming, that is something different. A lot of folks that want to get into it all just want to program and do cool stuff and they confuse learning something like Java or C# with "Computer science".

If you really want to get into "computer science" then pick up the latest edition of K&R and start there. I'm talking dynamic memory allocation, boolean logic, functional programming, the whole she-bang.

If you want to do "programming" then learn Java or C# or Python or something more abstracted. Something that gives you a feel for common algorithms, solving problems, object-oriented design, etc.

Don't make that mistake that I see time and time again and get into computer science without REALLY understanding the difference between it and programming.

Good luck man.
>>
>>51924129
>>51923973
>>51923840
Thank you

>>51923905
Thank you
>>
>>51923806

It doesn't hurt to know a lisp. But you're probably not going to be writing Clojure at your first job so learn to do useful stuff in a few languages.

Provided that's what you want to do with your life, write software.
>>
>>51923840

I like this answer, it's practical
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.