[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you guys think of inexpensive cloud storage laptops?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
HP Stream, Chromebooks, etc.

Do/would you use them? Why or why not?

What are they good for, absolutely nothing?
>>
2botnet4me
>>
>>51922015
too much of a storage whore.
If they made a model I could add 2.5 drive
with easy access. I would upgrade from my eeepc 904ha to a Stream
>>
>>51922015
really annoyed that i couldn't get one of the CB2 chromebooks for $99 on black friday. i fucking fell asleep like right before.
>>
I'm pretty much a local storage only person whenever possible.
>>
>>51922015

I think they're pretty good for basic use

The Toshiba Chromebook 2 is really solid, there's a configuration with a 1080p screen, I tried it out and it looks pretty great. For just web browsing, it does the trick.
>>
I mean if you buy an external HDD then those chromebooks look real good
>>
File: shitposting anakin.png (101 KB, 250x164) Image search: [Google]
shitposting anakin.png
101 KB, 250x164
>>
>>51922015
Bleargh.
>>
i loved my c720

i moved into the realm of $1000+ laptops and i still haven't found one i am happy with

what the chromebook lacks in breadth of capability it makes up for in pure usability regarding the functions it was designed for. and i guess you could jimmy linux in there if you needed to. but i couldn't argue with what i got for $250
>>
Had mine since thanksgiving, see >>51922218

It's perfect for any sane laptop activity, ie coding, internet, writing, emails. I'm a student so small, lightweight, and cheap is exactly what I needed. YMMV.

If you get a chromebook it's painless to get crouton going, I'm running Xubuntu on an sd card. Pretty much have to do this if you want to run anything not on the google play/chrome store, or use software while offline.
>>
Got a Toshiba CB2 for cheap during black friday. It's a light and fanless 1080p screen with a 9 hour battery that runs linux. My daily on the go tasks don't require anything powerful. I don't like cloud storage, but SD cards go up to 512GBs on amazon.
>>
>>51922736
Chromebooks make great second machines, or cheap portables. The HP Stream is a good example as to why the cheap hardware doesnt work Windows, just not enough horsepower. However, similar devices with ChromeOS are pretty good.
If you need a portable machine with pretty good battery, and you are OK with only using the browser, then Chromebooks are great.
>>
File: 1447189154298.jpg (22 KB, 604x438) Image search: [Google]
1447189154298.jpg
22 KB, 604x438
>>51922186
This. Fuck the cloud.
>>
>>51923559
/thread
>>
>>51923546
How well would one of these machines run a minimal arch install?
>>
>>51922015
the cloud is a garbage gimmick for idiots, but if they were like... an absolute *SHITLOAD* cheaper than a real laptop then i could see getting one just to flatten it and throw Mint+xfce on there. but they're not so just get a real laptop instead.
>>
>>51923776
the ones with intel cpus can handle ubuntu perfectly fine so arch shouldnt be a problem
>>
>>51923559
every time I see this image I imagine the cat freaking out and charging or thrashing and accidentally cutting part of its face against that knife and how horrible the person that took the picture would feel for doing that. Seriously, how the hell is a cat supposed to understand how sharp a knife is? This shit is so dangerous.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.