[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Browser discussion
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 3
File: opera-browser-logo-large.png (46 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
opera-browser-logo-large.png
46 KB, 300x300
What does /g/ think of opera?

Also, browser discussion.
>>
Vivaldi is what Opera should have been
>>
>>51918013
r u srs senpai?
>>
Opera is dead. Use Vivaldi or Opera 12.
>>
I liked that it had apng support.

That's about it.
>>
>>51918029
He is serious, Anon. Opera lost all of the features that made it great and decided to only bring back a few when switching from Presto to Blink. Vivaldi is trying to bring back more of those features.
>>
Opera development is too slow, it took 1 month to update the browser icon and to change the name of the discover feature.
It doesn't offer anything new anyway, just go with Vivaldi
>>
useless

there is no reason to use it over chrome

also the days of browser suites are long gone, nobody except some mongs will use vivaldi
>>
>>51918013
>>51918038

Vivaldi is one huge papercut. It does not even get tab closing right, entire interface feels laggy as fuck. Somebody decided that making it in js is a great idea, it wasn't. Opera is not great but it sure is the best chromium based browser now.
>>
>>51918077
>Calls Vivaldi users monks
>Uses Chrome
Enjoy your botnet
>>
>>51918107
thanks I certainly do :)
>>
>>51917977

>used firefox since ever
>it started to be slow
>4chan threads lag for 2 seconds after opening
>after watching 20-30webms i have to take a break
>rest of os is running fine
>try opera and have no problems, it imported all my links and history instantly

the only thing that annoys me a little bit is that i have to keep the mouse on the middle of the tabs when i want to switch them, on firefox they whole tab box was clickable
>>
>>51918090
You're definitely right about the lag in Vivaldi. However, Opera doesn't even allow you to select a tab by moving your mouse to the top edge of the screen. That is a extremely retarded design flaw.
>>
OP here, I've used google services for a long time. I've realized how much data they are collecting and want to get away from the botnet.

Considering fully switching to Linux. Currently dual booting Windows and Ubuntu 14.04. Need to get rid of ChromeOS from my chromebook and use it as a Linux laptop.
>>
>>51918189
You can change it as far as I can remember. Don't have opera installed now so can't point you to the right option but I'm almost certain it is there if you enable advanced settings.
>>
>>51918234
There's an option that says "Disable tab bar's top spacing when browser window is maximized" but it doesn't let you click tabs. It only prevents you from unmaximizing the window when clicking the top pixels.
>>
>>51918315
I'm pretty sure I was able to click tabs using this. Maybe you have riced system that fucks this up?
>>
>>51918364
Nope. The only rice I have is a different colored titlebar. Chrome, Edge, and Vivaldi don't have this problem. Opera Next also doesn't fix the problem.
>>
>>51917977
non-free

firefox ist the least bad
>>
better gui than chrome, that's about it

like the downloads button list, bookmarks manager, speed dial, nicer looking ui widgets
>>
>>51918666
also the tab bar button with recently closed tabs and tabs on other devices
>>
>>51918653
software being free as in freedom is no criteria to judge its quality by

its a bonus at best.
>>
>>51918364
I looked this up in the forum and it looks like it's a bug that's been around for a long time and Opera hasn't fix it.
>>
>>51918692
>software being free as in freedom is no criteria to judge its quality by
at the very least, it has to be open source. i wouldn't use communications software where nobody knows what's going on in the code and who it is really communicating with.

of course, when you're thinking about making software open source, you might as well go full-freedom.
>>
>>51917977
I dont know why, but the interface is extremely laggy on my computer, on a classmate laptop, it worked like a charm
>>
>>51918791
are you qualified enough to perform full audits of every software you use? if so: why are you using closed-source 4chan?
>>
>>51917977
nonfree so shit.
>>
>>51918692
are you shitting me?
>>
>>51918905
there is no free software of a higher quality than its closed source counterpart

you are free to prove me wrong however
>>
File: 1445047711586.gif (3 MB, 300x252) Image search: [Google]
1445047711586.gif
3 MB, 300x252
>>51918956
>>
>>51918839
>are you qualified enough to perform full audits of every software you use?
of course not. in fact, i rarely ever look at the source code of any of the software i use. there really is no need when the whole development process is driven by the community and every change is publicly visible before it gets pushed into any release.

>why are you using closed-source 4chan?
4chan doesn't have any of my personal data. it doesn't handle my communications.
i type a message into a text field and that's it. no name required, not even a registration.
even if there's a registration, like on many other, closed source sites i use - it's not like i'm giving those sites a lot of data about myself.
there's also a difference between running software locally, where it could potentially read a lot of things, and visiting a website in a browser.

>>51918956
>higher quality
how do you define this? nginx is certainly better than any closed source web server in existence if you look at the relevant metrics. is this higher quality?
>>
>>51918219
>and Ubuntu 14.04

There is no reason why you should have such a old distro. Try

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Is it because of the long term support? That is only really necessary if you are trying to run a server on it. You don't need 100% uptime on your home computer. There is not a huge amount of noticable changes with the new versions, but just mentioning it.
>>
>>51918999
>how do you define this? nginx is certainly better than any closed source web server in existence if you look at the relevant metrics. is this higher quality?

I'm assuming he's referring to user-end applications (i.e. gimp vs photoshop). There are still superior free alternatives in the GUI domain but it's less common. Probably because graphic artists and UI designers are less inclined towards free software.
>>
>>51918488
>>51918768
It works for me, I have my Opera window maximized and the top pixel spacing removed. I click on a tab when my mouse is at the very top edge and it still works. I'm on Win 10 and I remember it working in 8. It's possible that it doesn't work for Linux, though.
>>
vivaldi is shit and i even wanted to like it
>>
>>51919323
Agreed.
Slow as fuck to open and feels laggy.
Not only that, but the way it switches tabs when you close one makes me rage so hard inside. Why can't it just work like literally every other browser? If I open multiple links in new tabs from one page, I don't want to go back to that page every time, I want to go to the next opened tab.
>>
File: 2015-12-17 19_02_41-.png (160 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-17 19_02_41-.png
160 KB, 1366x768
>>51917977
Been using it for a solid day and I'm impressed af.

Not surprised since I've always had good times with it but I somehow just go back to chrome.

I still use chrome because Opera can't into google cast extension but it's my go to browser for now
>>
been using opera forever, not going to jump ship any time soon.

all i use it for is browsing 4chan anyway.
>>
>>51919587
some chrome extensions you can rip and just turn them into Opera extensions, I did it with the hide fedora extension a while back.
>>
>>51919307
That's what should happen. I reported a bug to Opera to see if I can help.
>>
The new Vivaldi build 1.0.344.34 (Beta 2) (64-bit) is pretty good, faster than Firefox 43, but as >>51918090 said, it sucks when you open lots of tabs because when you close a tab it moves to the previous show tab instead of the next one.

Beside that is pretty good already.
>>
>>51919741
i have an opera extension that just makes you download extensions straight from the web store but Google cast is the only one to not work for me so far.
>>
Opera is a great browser. The integration with the system is pretty great and the devs care about it a lot. The best Speed Dial and Opera Turbo are great features too.

That being said, the development is a bit too slow and unfocused on things that should matter. While it uses Chromium, it doesn't have some technical features that Chrome has or is experimenting, like panels or smooth scrolling. The Android version works, but some sites are broken and is more slow than Chrome.

At the end, I prefer Chrome because it has better extensions (some incompatible with Opera), it has a more robust interface, the sync works better with the Android version and the Android version greatly improves other apps. Also is easier and comfier to create shortcuts for web apps, and Google has its own version of Opera Turbo.
>>
>>51917977
>What does /g/ think of opera?

I think this entire thread is a thinly-veiled excuse for Vivaldi shills to converge on /g/ en masse.

As for Opera, pre-10 used to be great, but then the devs decided to turn the interface into a bloated pile of shit for some reason. Switching Opera's rendering engine over to Chrome's later on certainly didn't help any. Vivaldi consequently is also a bloated piece of shit.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.