[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The gov is spying on me. How do I stop this or limit their control?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 4
File: zpsbd375a10.jpg (218 KB, 1000x980) Image search: [Google]
zpsbd375a10.jpg
218 KB, 1000x980
The gov is spying on me.

How do I stop this or limit their control?
>>
>>51913277
>stop using computers
>stop using phones
>stop using tablets
>>
>>51913277
this>>51913340
plus
>stop existing
>>
by posting on /g/ of course. don't forget to incognito :)
>>
>>51913362
www.niceme.me
>>
>>51913277
by taking your pills
>>
>>51913340
can I go outside?

>>51913362
I didn't even use proxy

>>51913379
how did you know?
>>
>>51913277
Move into a solitary underwater house and stop using the internet or phone.
>>
>>51913277
Even if they have your data its, your data is about 1/300000000 they won't bother to actually look at it unless you get flagged as a possible terrorist or watching cp
>>
>>51913398
No you cannot go outside. Unless ur super stealthy and its at night
>>
>>51913277
you can minimize it by using only free software.
>>
Use number stations.
>>
Nevermind i have figured it out
>>
>Buy a Libreboot supported Laptop from minifree or flash it yourself.
>remove bluetooth card. It has nonfree firmware.
>remove sound card and use headphones instead. You can be tracked through your mic.
>Buy a free-as-in-freedom firmware wireless card.
>Insist on using encryption for everything.
>Avoid Skype and use Jitsi, Mumble etc.
>use giftcards or someone else's CC for online stuff.
>buy a prepaid phone and refill card with cash and use fake info if needed.
>>
>>51913277
No. They don't stalk people. Scammers and Business companies stalk people.
>>
>>51913464
Bulk collection is still a massive invasion of my privacy, even if I'm not too tech savvy or do anything illegal.

The point is that what is considered legal or hasn't been challenged in a court may be in the future.

Reminder that ripping of DVDs with libdvdcss is still technically ilegal and you could face jail time for it.
>>
>>51913398
Nah, cause you see there is this system called Trapwire that will record your movement and tell secret service what you are doing
>>
>>51913277
Cease to breathe
>>
>>51913816

I'm a privacy nut myself, but if your only need is to avoid mass surveillance then you should use signal for text and calls, Tor for browsing, and pgp or OTR for online communication. This will eliminate virtually all of your public fingerprint. Targeted surveillance is a different subject though.
>>
>>51913277
List of privacy related tools: http://www.tumbleweed.ro/
>>
isps all work with authorities by law
the internet's backbone providrers all work with authorities by law
any vpn will be required by law to give unfettered access to their servers by law

theres literally nothing you can so short of getting the fuck off the internet. if you are doing something they want to know your identity about they will. even if you're using a library or coffee shop, they can access surveillance logs to find you.

you should be more concerned about what non govt non corporate groups can see. what can your fellow man gleen about you?
>>
>>51917248
Use encryption and even if they do spy it's virtually impossible to break
>>
>>51917248
oh and also they can exploit backdoors in any software code from tor to high strength encryption
>>
>>51917257
nsa has routinely demonstrated they can find holes in any form of encryption
>>
>>51917280
>backdoor encryption
Possible but not likely.
>Tor
You're an idiot. The code is there to see and audit
>>
>>51917298
Right, so how come they couldn't catch Snowden?
>>
>>51917306
a backdoor in tor has already been utilized to bust people you fucking moron. are you not aware of what undisclosed vulnerability means or are you merely pretending to be retarded? tor is a honeypot nothing more
>>
>>51917320
he's probably a brainwashed drone in their propaganda they could easily catch him or they fear it will start a war with russia take your pick
>>
Why isn't there open source messaging protocol to fight against shit like FB Messenger or Skype?

Something with actual protection like AES? That everyone could develop if they wanted to and everyone could see what it adoes in source code?
>>
>>51917329
You're an idiot. There is not a backdoor. Provide proof you moron.
>>
>>51917351
OTR and Pidgin.
>>
>>51917359
there's no such thing as code that can't be exploited. all we can see is fool proof security constantly being exploited from tor to high level encryption.
>>
>>51917298
Citation needed
>>
>>51917405
>hi guys i cant type a simple search term into a search engine
>>
>>51917378
Pidgin is messaging protocol? I thought it was just like, program to use stuff like Messenger etc.?
>>
>>51917405
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/oct/04/tor-attacks-nsa-users-online-anonymity

you are only secure as your weakest link and there is ALWAYS a link weaker than your steongest form of security. ALWAYS.
>>
>>51917415
You make the claim, you back it up. Provide examples of the NSA cracking a secure encryption algorithm.
>>
>>51917438
see above you shit eating spoonfed retard
>>
>>51917392
"Code that can be exploited" is not the same thing as a backdoor and I think you don't know what you're talking about.
>>
>>51917434
They didn't crack tor's encryption. They weakend the network by infiltrating it and creating their own encryption keys.
>>
>>51917351
>Why isn't there open source messaging protocol to fight against shit like FB Messenger or Skype?
There is lots of them. The question is, why does nobody use them?

Because the 99% simply don't give a shit, and will simply use the prettiest thing. And then network effect.
>>
>>51917456
>>51917478
http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/10/how-the-nsa-can-break-trillions-of-encrypted-web-and-vpn-connections/

you are both literally clueless retards. you have not been paying one iota of attention to what has been going on for the past decade or more. seriously kill yourself you shit eating moron
>>
>>51917456
This 1000x.

People go a rave about "hurr muh linux is botnet" or "freetards BTFO" whenever there is the slightest security vulnerability found. It's patched quickly like with GRUB. At least the code is open and free for the vulnerabilities to be found.
>>
>>51917519
Could you name examples of the better ones?
>>
>>51913464
I doubt they care about cp or terrorists.

Its about control.
>>
File: la citizên fou.jpg (3 MB, 2551x3579) Image search: [Google]
la citizên fou.jpg
3 MB, 2551x3579
Any of you seen this document? It was incredibly spooky
>>
Did anyone stop and think for a second

>Exploit the middle East for nearly 100 years.
>Get upset when few of them protest by bombing couple people to death in Western country
?

or this one, this is the better one.

>Rag heads bomb
>LETS RESTRICT THE RIGHTS OF REGULAR NON-TERRORISTS PEOPLE THAT WILL HELP US TO COMBAT TERRORISTS

Ì wonder how much were the media paid to spin the story of how controlling civil people helps to battle against terrorists.
>>
>>51917619
Clinton already wants a backdoor on encryption for mobile devices
>>
>>51916414
OTR is a plugin or a shortcut for off the record protocol is xmpp
>>
>Install BSD or Linux
>Use Tor and https
>Use public computers/internet whenever possible
>Use Protonmail
>Get a prepaid phone card
That should make you 90% harder to track
>>
>>51917541
Xmpp with OTR
>>
>>51913277
>>
>>51917359
There was a way to track people on Tor that was found by researchers at Carnegie Mellon university. They were supposed to have a talk about it at DEF CON. But they canceled it before the talk for unknown reasons. But they DID specify that they have found a way to track people.
>>
>>51917521
That article doesn't even mention Tor
Please stay on topic
>>
>>51917298

That is not accurate. They want you to believe they can. Its true that they can get alot of their targeted people, but OTR remains safe, as does Tor.

In the bowels of the Snowden leaks were transcripts of the raw intel showing that they were unable to access PGP and OTR communication. That is not to say that they couldn't break into your house and installl a keylogger or otherwise TARGET you, but the widescale implementation of OTR, Tor, and PGP is untouchable.
>>
>>51917691
And put a sticky-note on your screen "do not press backspace 28 times!!"
>>
In CitizenFour IIRC Snowden doesn't believe that you can be 'safe' from NSA. I mean, you can have your AES 512 etcs. but at some point you arent going to be using that and then they get the grip on you. He referred to all forms of security as 'breathing room' instead of 'completely secure'
>>
>>51917781
what is known is only the tip of the iceberg what computational power they have access to in their 11 billion dollar budget is far greater than the trivial shit we see posted in the media in fact i believe it is all propaganda to minimize the knowledge of the far greater capability they possess.

if the take away from all of this is "hurrrrr use stronger security" then you really are a clueless retard. we have seen a pattern or trend that PROVES no matter how secure we once previously thought something was, it wasn't. the only constant is that your security will be broken.
>>
>>51917859
I'm pretty sure it's a fallacy to stop using security just because it will be broken someday
>>
>>51917351
In addition to OTR XMPP, there's Tox, which actually works and is simple to use + setup.
>>
>>51917869
There's no security there's just breathing room.
>>
>>51917521
So you generate new primes and you don't use a garbage VPN that hasn't.
>>
>>51917628

Terrorism was also his excuse. These fucks aren't even original. The odds of a person in a western country dyibg from terrorism are effectively zero, yet we're expected to hand over our civil rights to "defend" against it. I put defend in quotations because the US government has cracked a SINGLE terrorism case using these multi-billion dollar mass surveillance programs. The case involved a taxi driver in San Diego giving AQ $8500.

Meanwhile they're off in the middle east arming ISIS indirectly and forming alliances with countries that directly fund ISIS, amongst other groups.

http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2015/05/newly-declassified-u-s-government-documents-the-west-supported-the-creation-of-isis.html
>>
>>51917754

They backed out of the talk because the FBI bribed them into giving them the info. It was used in a few arrests and then the Tor foundation patched it.
>>
>>51917926
I just want to stress how fuckign RIDICULOUS IT IS

that someone tries to pull of the logic of

>Restrict rights of civil persons
>to combat against terrorists

This is illogical in every single way I can think of.
>>
>>51917869
never said you should stop using security but you should stop using it as a tool to hide from authority as they have far greater power than the other goons looking to gain access to your infos
>>
>>51917359
>>51917754
>>51917940

Its a process whereby they examine normal use of the service they are targeting, examine the traffic and how it looks cryptographically (even if its not decrypted, it still looks a certain way, has certain patterns, lengths etc).

They then run several guard nodes, nodes in tor that process tor traffic and allow access to tor hidden services. They watch for that pattern they searched for indicating traffic to the service they are targeting, and by doing this they can discover the hidden service endpoint. This was the recent attack against tor and wasn't targeting end users really, more service operators.

As for the question of being safe from the NSA, you cant. long story short. If they want to get to you, they will.
>>
>>51913277
get the fuck off the internet
put no information you value on a networked computer system
don't use modern, backdoored hardware for important data
use GNU/Linux if you want a placebo against mass surveillance, you will still be at risk for targeted surveillance
>>
File: 1426475183009.jpg (112 KB, 764x938) Image search: [Google]
1426475183009.jpg
112 KB, 764x938
It's easy! Let's just make a second internet!
>>
>>51917941
The arguments for it are usually.
>You've got something to hide?
>you must be a terrorist, pedo, drug trafficer etc.
>>
>>51917956

You can't be safe on an individual level, but you can "opt out" of these mass surveillance programs by using strong encryption, sort of. When the NSA comes across encrypted info they're allowed to store it forever, regardless of the origins, so again, this only really gives you breathing room, but its certainly better than the alternative.
>>
>>51917521
look guys he replaced rhetoric with insults
so clever
>>
What encrpytion does Tox use for its messages
>>
>>51918030
feel free to head back to reddit anytime retard
>>
>>51918073
>b-b-but reddit!
>>
Why don't you read words then?yunno you can't do R.Stallman as your calling into histories,UNIX,Linux,emails?who prepared enigma UNIX Turing words through ciphers for pearl edits UNIX C,that call use terrorism?which wouldn't therefore refer too BletchlyPark as a seaside town because DES and describe cres define references as no pointed road sign symbolic arithmetic way of use,therefore not towards countryman terra firma or person people's?If cycles are input on www BBS,what is your mode of use?
>>
Use Tails Leenucks
>>
>>51918080
>mom i cant downvote his comment what do i do?
>>
>>51918117
>b-b-but reddit!
>>
>>51913277
Use an abacus.
>>
One of wins qt design differences ,esp in Linux,was DMA.If NSA is related to the Sea,Ice,Fire is www lied to IBM as pascal syntactic basis of BBS boards or more NSA latter day installation references as server would be heard intermingling affective programings,therefore mixing to what Linux doesn't do,dictator info?which idolically lazily tv couch potatatoe makes Stallman as the NSA,then,UNIX beliefs of getting a Job unknown?
>>
>>51918165
>>51918097

They're here. Everyone get behind 9 proxies.
>>
>>51918072
https://github.com/Tox-Docs/Text/tree/master/src_text

all of of the protocol documentation is here
>>
>>51918021
To a degree yes, you're right. And it'd stop everything below a nation level attacker too, so its positive in that regard, and should definately be used, regardless.
But if the NSA wanted to decrypt that info they most defiantly can given enough time. And with the recent failures in diffie-helman key generation - ie, everyone uses the same bloody one - it may be a lot easier than we think.
>>
>>51913596
>infared red camera systems
like a deer in the headlights
>>
>>51917549
Control for some, but justice for the normies who let themselves get convinced that it's okay and actually do all the work.
>>
>>51913277
an hero
>>
>>51913626
Only actual answer in this thread.
>>
Stop worrying about the botnet meme
>>
>>51918742
Some of us have corpses to hide, have some compassion, geez.
>>
>>51918128
nothing worse than a stuttering redditor
>>
>>51913367
great i appreciate this, ty for losing your time and money on this shity website
>>
>>51913277
Install gentoo
>>
>>51918638
Its time...
>>
>>51920348
Sorry I don't have my ham radio with me atm :(
Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.