[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Java a good place to start for a NEET?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: javalogo.png (39 KB, 518x518) Image search: [Google]
javalogo.png
39 KB, 518x518
I am a Britbong NEET and have been thinking about learning Java to get a job at some business if I can.

Is Java a good place to start? Seems to be lots of jobs around London (I live in west london).
>>
>>51910928
My guide:
>Quit being a fuckin weaboo
>Learn a non-meme language
>>
File: Javascript.png (86 KB, 730x599) Image search: [Google]
Javascript.png
86 KB, 730x599
>>51910928

JavaScript is what you looking for. Not Java.

Learn JS and thank me later.
>>
Look into an IT Cert OP. Computer science and software engineering require,discipline to master the flow of creating. Java is just an OOP, and if you can't tell us what that means i guarantee you wont get a job even if you made some thin g by copy pasta

Look into getting a CCNA cert OP. Pay 190 US dollas to make 20quidanhour essay
>>
>>51911172
Agree with the first
Disagree with the second. Java is not a meme language, despite /g/ telling you otherwise.
>>
>>51910928
I suggest you skip java and learn javascript/php/html/mysql and some other webshit. Because they require not much from you.
>>
>>51910928
>learning Java to get a job at some business if I can.
Let me put it in perspective.

I have two degrees, a decent GPA, an open source project, an internship, two years contracting, know a dozen languages and I still struggle to get a permanent job.

As long as HR controls hiring, you're not going to get a job just by getting good.

OP go to school.

>inb4 nepotistic kid chimes in
Good for you, if anyone else had those connections they wouldn't have even bothered to learn a skill, it'd be a waste of time.
>>
Java is a good first language. There is a MIT or Stanford course online in introduction to computer science where java is used. Javascript have nothing to do with Java. It's like pineapple and pine or horseradish and horse.

There are several free courses with Java from beginner to advanced on www.udacity.com (just choose "access course materials" button when enrolling. The individual courses are free) which are pretty good. A lot of them are focused on developing apps for Android, but you will learn stuff applicable elsewhere as well. Don't worry if you are confused at first, just do the exercises and you will get it eventually. Everyone is confused in the beginning. Do it 3 hours every day (put it on your calendar and plan when in the day you will work) then you will know enough to work in a year or two. Save everything you code in a git repository or other repository so your future employers can look at your stuff since you won't have any degrees to refer to then you need to show work.

There is a git course on www.udacity.com as well. Also look at www.coursera.org and www.edx.org for more computer courses and do some math (you should know precalculus, calculus and linear algebra to be a good programmer) in www.khanacademy.com
>>
>>51910928
Yes, but learn it in an university. That's what gets you hired.
>>
>>51911601
what this guy said

OP don't fall for the you don't need college meme
>>
>>51911601
dude if you cant find a job as a code monkey in a country like the US or UK with two degrees then something is wrong with you and no amount of education is gonna help. you need to work out what it is that stops you getting jobs.

>>51910928
OP, a few years ago, when I was 28 and working in a bar which I fucking hated. I picked up Java A Beginner's Guide on Amazon for £16 and read it and wrote some code. It wasn't an amazing book but it got me going which is what I needed. I bought Head First Java which was really good. I write a few little (shitty) apps and stuck them on github and made a shitty homepage for them. This took 3-4 months. Then I really started to learn a lot more. Once I got the basics down and could put together basic crappy programs I was able to understand the more complex stuff. I spent 2 months learning like crazy and built a pretty impressive backup tool for myself then stuck it online. Got a few people check it out and lots of feedback on ways to do things better. I kept notes on everything. That was really important.

Then I updated my CV with all the tech I knew, example programs I had made and links to all my code and projects. I applied for lots of junior java jobs and didn't heard anything for about a month but then I got a call back for a big company who wanted just a maintenance coder for a couple of legacy apps they still had around. I chatted to the guy on the phone for 10 minutes and he said to come in for an interview. It was with a tech and a non-tech. All went great and I got the job. It was shit money (about the same as the bar) but it was a foot in the door. I did that for a year and learnt a fuck load more. Then I got a job at another bluechip doing some Java backend stuff. I am still there. I earn £48k (decent money for where I live) now and it's great.

So yeah you can do it. I left school with a few GCSEs worth shit but managed to get a decent job within a year of first learning what Java even was. You can too!
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.