[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Raspberry pi
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4
File: images (12).jpg (41 KB, 468x314) Image search: [Google]
images (12).jpg
41 KB, 468x314
Has anyone ever used one of these? What did they think? was it any good?
>>
>>51909759
You stupid nigger.
>>
>>51909759
they certainly used it, they were pleased because it was good.
>>
File: orangepipc_info.jpg (794 KB, 1150x1550) Image search: [Google]
orangepipc_info.jpg
794 KB, 1150x1550
How about the orange pi pc?
Performance compared to the rpi?
>>
>>51909843
they certainly used it, they were pleased because it was good.
>>
They're only good for catching dust
>>
what do you want one for??
>>
>>51909759
>tfw got one for free
>tfw excited to use it
>tfw realize I have a pc running 24/7 in my room anyway
>tfw what's the fucking point
>>
>>51910209
Use it instead of your pc when you don't need significant power to cut down on your power bill?
A desktop running 24/7 will use quite a lot of power.
>>
>>51909759

I use a RPi2 at home as a secondary machine. Raspbian is functional, but you will miss a real install on an x86 machine eventually.

It's slow as all fuck. Using it as a desktop is *viable* but not recommended. It chokes on 4chin, even if you browse with Midori. Compiling will take ages, so coding is probably out for most people. Probably as powerful as a Celeron from 2004; keep expectations in check.

If you don't care about jewtubing, it's a nice, low power, low cost, luddite machine. It's really desing for makers; using it as a desktop is silly unless you're one of those low power people.
>>
>>51909759
IO performance is kinda bad...
>>
>>51912043
inb4 you split your sistem to boot from the sdcard and use an external drive as root
>>
>>51910199
Use them for the media center, so me hdmi interfaces work so you can use your remote to control it, xbmc is decent
>>
imho this thing is mostly good for stuff where a graphical interface is not necessary and all you need is something that is general-purpose enough yet runs on extremely low power. Keep in mind I'm a Rapsberry Pi Model A user, which is just about as weak as they get; every other model I know of is more powerful in some way or another. 700mhz 1c/1t, 256mb RAM.

In my home, I have used it for:
- mumble server
- WOL
- NeoRouter VPN
- SSH server
- PBX SIP server
- FTP server (my router does this now though)
>>
>>51910209
>not thinking creative
>>
>>51910209
this
>>
File: Solar-Panel.jpg (49 KB, 360x620) Image search: [Google]
Solar-Panel.jpg
49 KB, 360x620
>>51910273
The one I have runs on 5v 1amp, it can run on a small solar panel....portable camping computer!
>>
There are so many fun things to do with these.

- Buy a battery, hook it up, and have it mark all locations in your neighbourhood with open wifi
- Create an html choose your own adventure and buy a wifi card with manage mode. Set up a honey pot and take down the choices people make.
- Make a honey pot with strange file names in it and chill at a coffee place with it hidden. See who snoops around and how far
- Install arch linux and setup a radius sever to better secure your wireless at home.

I could go on
>>
I just don't get who the market is for this. Prothusiasts are slowly moving towards Xilinx stuff, and hobbyists love Arduino.

Raspberry Pi just seems like a tiny PC that's okay at some media.
>>
>>51913986
>>51910273
using you phone is much more convenient
>>
>>51914019
>>51914020
It's just a toy for some pointless but possibly fun projects.
>>
>>51914020
hey, point me in the direction of that Xilinx stuff, I'm interested.
>>
File: pcduino3.jpg (259 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
pcduino3.jpg
259 KB, 1000x1000
>>51909759
It's good for embedded electronics projects. It sucks as a PC.

>>51914020

Supposedly it's for education. To teach programing in particular. You can use any PC or laptop to learn programming though, so that's kind of a stupid reason to get one. Now if you are interested in hardware, ARM in particular, it's a nice cheap device to mess around with, and if you end up killing it, it's not that big of a deal. ARM assembly is a bit simpler to learn than X86 assembly, so I could see it being useful for that sort of programming.

It's really a hobbyist device though. It's great for tinkering with electronics. I'm building a tablet currently, albeit I'm using a PCDuino3 for it.

I've been planning on building some CNC machines for my home shop, for a while now. I'm a machinist by trade, but at work I mostly do manual operation. I find CNC fascinating, but at the same time very boring, at least as far as running parts on one all day. The technology itself, and coming up with CAD drawings or programing is what interests me I guess. We do have a light duty CNC mill at the shop, so I'd like to build a CNC lathe, and a 3D printer for home I think. This isn't necessarily a RPi project, it's just that something like a RPi could be useful, and also bring the costs down.

Another project I'm planning to try is building a multi effects pedal. I play bass a little, and don't really need too many effects anyway--mainly distortion and/or overdrive. It's still fun to fuck around with different effects, and building one out of a RPi and a USB sound card sounds more cost effective than buying a bunch of different pedals that I'd never use seriously. I can feasibly have any effect I could want in a single device.
>>
It's an okay device. If you want to experiment its nice but don't use it for anything serious (there is usually a better/cheaper solution).

Biggest problem are the gimped throughoutput with hard drives and via networking. Doesn't make it useless though but not really effective for most media based projects.
>>
>>51914041
your phone = botnet
>>
>>51909759
Never heard of it, I don't think anyone has ever used one either.
>>
I have looked at getting an raspberry pi but decided to get a banana pi m1 last year.
I really like it and am typing on it right now.
Has the perfect amount of power for me.
I'm running Ubuntu mate 15.04 on it and it runs good with the hardware.
I'm waiting for the banana pi m3 to come out to upgrade and put this m1 in my car as my radio has composite hook-ups and travel alot.
>>
>>51909759
Yeah I use one. I'm running a shitty server off of it. It works okay as a small server, but is laggy if you want to do anything outside of the CLI.
>>
Rasbplex is pretty decent
>>
Any idea what it does when it's headless hooked up too p.c?
>>
>>51914041
Yes but your phone is also more limited. How many usb ports? Ethernet? No big screen. Etc.
>>
>>51909759
It's a learning tool for kids or amateur prototypers, if you have a PC and aren't either going to build the intended device into a machine chassis or risk breaking it it offers you no benefits.
>>
>>51918549
Much more powerful hardware, Much more software support, with a 6" >1080p screen. I'll bring a hub is I need that, and my wifi is much faster than that 100mbit Ethernet.
>>
I have one in my mini arcade cabinet, and one is controlling the temperature in my room acting as a smart thermostat, with web interface & fancy graph... Obviously connected to my heater...
>>
>>51919100
HAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>51919357
hahaha! facts! How amusing.
>>
>>51915448

Have you heard of Pine64 yet?: http://pine64.com/

Looks very promising. I've never contributed to a Kickstarter project before, and I'm kind of leery about it. I'm gonna just wait until they are released, and if they get good reviews I'm definitely buying one.
>>
>>51919808
>I'm gonna just wait until they are released
Good. What looks so good about it? Price is good but is it the true price?
Generally things are on kickstarter for a reason.
>>
>>51919907
>Generally things are on kickstarter for a reason.

Yea, that's part of the reason I'm leery about it. What's being promised, and what, if anything you'd actually end up with aren't necessarily going to be the same thing.

The 64 bit CPU and the 4k video support look appealing. It looks like it's basically a next Gen RPi, that costs about half as much.

No, $15/$19 isn't exactly the true price, but then again I already have all the extras it requires so for me it would be. Most of these SBCs do require additional stuff like SD cards, wifi adapters, and a USB cable/DC adapter to work, so this it's not exactly surprising that this one is no different in that respect.
>>
>>51920753
c.h.i.p., praised all over the internet for being the worlds first $9 computer for example, is actually going to be $40.
>>
>>51910209
Anyone who thinks this is supposed to replace you pc is fucking retarded. Pis fill a great role between microcontrollers and full on pc grade computers. If you can't figure that out and know its implications, then you will have no use for them
>>
>>51920957
>$40
Source please
>>
>>51920957
> tfw i got it for 8 on cyber monday
>>
I've found more use of it as a headless server. For almost any other purpose it's either too slow, or too pointless given you can just use a more powerful and featured up cheap Chinese Windows tablet instead.
>>
>>51920753
And sure, 4k sure is interesting, but just having h.265 4k decoding isn't going to make it a very good mediacenter.
And if you have the cash for a 4k TV you really should spend more on the mediacenter.

>>51921057
https://olimex.wordpress.com/2015/06/05/how-to-get-in-the-news-tell-people-that-you-will-make-and-sell-something-which-cost-you-20-for-9/
>>
>>51919435
>>51919100
that's a completely different usecase from a small file server or torrent box. not to mention, battery.
>>
>>51914206
>>51914020
Seconding this. What Xilinx stuff is good? I want to get into FPGA.
>>
>>51909759
Posting from my pi zero. Performance is basically shit and for some reason it keeps locking up on Raspbian

Why doesn't pibang work on the zero?
>>
>>51909759
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Raspberry_Pi
>>
>>51924983
Because you only paid 5 dollars, what did you expect?
>>
>>51909759
>Has anyone ever used one of these?

Yes, I have a v2 running right now

>What did they think?

If you're living seriously hard on welfare go and pick up a $10 laptop instead of these if you're looking for a PC.

I've used a B+ for XBMC and the interface was laggy. I'm sure the 2 does better.

Currently setting it up for a OpenHAB setup but haven't got any of my sensors, plugs and relays yet.

>Was it any good?

So far so good, but it's frustrating to browse 4chan on
>>
I just want to get a Zero so I can make a portable emulation thing.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.