[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
You lied to me /g/, STEM is a meme.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1
File: americanmale.png (14 KB, 327x367) Image search: [Google]
americanmale.png
14 KB, 327x367
>Be me four years ago.
>Love history, but /g/ tells me I won't get a job and to pick up a STEM field instead.
>Older friend graduated during that time with an art history degree and then went to law school.
>Fast forward to now.
>Friend is making $160,000 starting out of law school.
>I'm working at fucking Geek Squad for $13/hour, there are basically no programming jobs by me as they are all taken by H1Bers.

Fuck you /g/, you lied to me.STEM is a meme.
>>
>>51909241
That's unfortunate. Either move or find a way to sell your skills.
>>
>>51909241
>programming
>stem
programming isnt science, it isnt math, and it isnt real engineering. the T is stem stands for bullshiT, everyone knows this.

but anyways dude... if you cant get a job over filthy immigrants, you are too stupid to be in STEM, and you should not have even bothered with college. Don't fool yourself, you wouldnt have done well on the LSAT like your friend did. you were doomed either way.
>>
Work your ass off freelancing for pennies, build a reputation, make more than $13/hour.

Don't know what to tell you.

Getting a job in this field is more about networking than anything else. Go to every meetup related to what you know and be as charming as you possibly can.
>>
>>51909241
Just program something to make you money. What use is it to get good moneymaking skills if you are not going to use them? If you just want some paper to get a job then you could have gone to trade school, medicine or I guess law school.
>>
>>51909241
Did you build connections like he did? Did you work half as hard as he did to ensure a job related to your major? Because just because your friend was a statistical anomaly doesn't mean you'd get a job like him too, you'd probably have an equally useless job at Starbucks or something. If you think you're unemployable now, go back and get a Masters. Worked for my uncle who graduated 6 or 7 years ago in accounting. I'm planning on sticking to my engineering because chances are I'll find a job eventually
>>
>>51909241
That's what you get for listening to /g/.

I studied World History and I'm now working as a high school teacher.

I make $51k a year after taxes, which is not amazing but is still very good considering the state I live in.
>>
>be me, age 27
>making 6 figures straight out of high school as a web developer
>>
>>51909459
You left HS at 27?
>>
>>51909241
You can also go to law school dumbass, there's nothing stopping you.
>>
>>51909422
Ew sounds like ib
>>
>>51909241
>Listens to /g/

There is your problem.
>>
>>51909241
If you actually had a STEM degree you wouldn't be making $13/hr

>>51909422
That's fucking amazing for a highschool teacher.

My teachers made like $20,000
>>
>>51909241
>but /g/ tells me
This is where you failed.

Also to repeat what someone already said: The "T" in STEM can mean anything. And in my opinion, it really doesn't mean all that much when compared to Science, Engineering, and Math. I sure there are folks in the areas of SEM who have shitty jobs. But the "T" in STEM is really out of place if you ask me (and no one did).

>Fuck you /g/, you lied to me.STEM is a meme.
No problem.
>>
>>51910494
i doubt your teachers actually made that little my mom teaches for a inner-city school and gets like 50k
>>
>he fell for the STEM meme

muh sides are in deep orbit
>>
>>51910482
B-but I want to hear your opinion, anon!
>>
>>51909241
It's probably no consolation but your friend is likely just shitting over people to get that money. To be making 160k out of college and doing nothing but borrowing wheel after wheel after wheel just to impose laws that allow women to cuck the world is nothing to be proud of.

It's real strange that he makes that much and gets to enjoy it, though. Sounds like nepotism or likely he was already rich.

You probably should get an actual comp sci job doing something like junior developer for a bit. Those start at 40k over here, Los Angeles, and they are available all over the county. The only reason I haven't taken one up is that I'm not sure how well I'll do on the interview and tests. So I'm just making every kind of issue a part of my "contingency" plan. If they ask for something stupid, I return with a shiny polished turd that they can't help but love me for.

I'm thinking maybe this is half a troll thread. Also, how often does your friend get to go out or talk about something that isn't law? How about how much ass he has to kiss and how fine a line he has to walk just to keep his job? STEM degrees offer a lot of freedom. You could also go for a master in physics or some kind of engineering gig with a comp sci degree.
>>
>>51909241
>there are basically no programming jobs by me as they are all taken by H1Bers.

you better be kidding me niggah
>>
>>51910962
>>51909241
that said, it s insanely tough for a new guy to get into the indutsry
>>
>>51909241
Yep, so I had 4 friends that did Engineering degrees.

The one with honours went on to become a infantry grunt in the army because he couldn't find work for 3 years.

The other went into an entry level Government job during data entry.

The other works at Toys'r'Us.

Another friend did a Masters in Environmental science and became a park ranger (the only one with a decent job and earns $80,000)

Numerous friends did humanities:

Politicial science and security studies went onto work for Intelligence.

Friend that did Sociology and media communication went on to become a lobbyist for a major mental health organization.

I have a few friends with actual design and arts degrees and they work in advertising and for firms doing design work for them.

The western world is moving towards Service industries. STEM is literally a meme field dominated by Asians.
>>
>>51910866
You can listen to their opinions and bullshit, but if you act on their advice without doing your own research and listening to others who actually know what they're talking about, you're a moron.
>>
One of the biggest things is humanities teaches you creative thinking, decent argumentation skills, good people skills and goods analytical skills.

This means Humanties students tend to be far more well rounded people and do better socially.

Honestly most (white) STEM students I encounter seem to be basically autistics or bound for Hikkidom.

You're not going to get a good job unless you can sell yourself, and STEM doesn't help in that regard whatsoever sadly.
>>
>>51911118
>argumentation

Is that where all these people got the whole "that's you" schtick from?

GARBAGE COLLECTOR PLEASE
>>
>>51909241

>basing major life decisions off 4chan

Serves you right dumb frogposting scum
>>
OP I graduated with a degree in human biology and currently make 22-26 smackers per hour helping kids with their homework. I am going to medical school this fall.

You chased money instead of your passion, you lied to yourself.
>>
>>51909422
50,000 a shit. I make 38,000 just working odd jobs while I'm in school
>>
>>51911057
How? It is literally impossible to not get a job right out of school in engineering unless you had below a 3.0 and didn't do any internships at all.
>>
>>51909241
>End up working at fucking Geek Squad
Seriously, did you drop out or study some of the shit bordering liberal arts with no or few real world applications like psychology (yes, psychology does actually qualify as STEM because they use actually scientific methods in their research)
>>
>>51913624
Yeah like the scientific method where they throw out any results that show differences between races ;^)
>>
>>51909241
>not getting a math degree
there's your problem
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.