[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who /Reverse Engineering/ Here? What are some good resources
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2
File: OllyDbg2.gif (81 KB, 969x713) Image search: [Google]
OllyDbg2.gif
81 KB, 969x713
Who /Reverse Engineering/ Here?

What are some good resources to learn from and what are your favorite tools, /g/?
>>
You're gonna get a stream of idea and olly. I am monitoring this thread for advanced java reversing tools however
>>
>>51907528
Ida *
>>
>>51907528
You mean like IDA and Olly
>>
>>51907540
no he means IntelliJ Idea
>>
Is that the call stack?
>>
>>51907528
Can't you just decompile java lmao
>>
OP:

http://octopuslabs.io/legend/blog/sample-page.html: Nice set of useful tutorials walking you through OllyDbg and cracking crack-mes. Eventually, you crack something real from Softpedia or something.

http://www.crackmes.de: Big repo of crack-mes to practise with.
>>
>Go to forum discussing reverse engineering
>People talking about a bunch of goobilty goop that makes no sense to me
>Can't make any sense of it because I don't know assembly and the inner workings of the kernel

smdh why is this so difficult
>>
>>51907307
I am into RE but i'm dead and I'm off to sleep. lets keep these threads comming, /g/ needs stuff like this badly.
>>
>>51907972
Please post when you wake up, I have a feeling this thread will die/get no more replies.

Also Lena151 tutorials are quite good for learning for babbies
>>
>>51907965
what forums did you go to?
Also I'd probably start with Practical Malware Analysis and Reversing: secrets of reverse engineereing or something. Both from starch press.
After you read some of that then you'll probably be in much better shape.
>>
>>51907991
I was heading something about hooking native processes or some shit and the entire thread made 0 sense.

Do you have to be some sort of nerd to understand this? It seems even harder than just learning programming which is already a difficulty.
>>
>>51908009
reading*
>>
>>51907986
I am specially interested in C++ reversing as I'm trying to get into game hacking.
Have you tried reclass? I've just read about it but I don't quite understand what it facilitates and how and haven't tried it myself (am busy learning more fundamental stuff atm).
>>
>>51908009
What do you even mean by nerd in this context?
You have to be curious in this stuff, that's it.
Hummm, give a try to the books I talked about.
It's not really THAT much harder than programming.

Hooking is more of a topic related to RE than RE itself.
>>
>>51907883
Java is compiled into bytecode instruction sets which are very well documented, so it's usually fairly easy to decompile.
However, obfuscators have figured out how to break every major Java decompiler.

If you do it manually, you will get results, though. But I doubt many people on /g/ have an in-depth understanding of bytecode.
>>
>>51908045
>What do you even mean by nerd in this context?

Just that the whole thing seems for very smart people... Learning programming in a higher level language is difficult already for most people but this shit seems like you need 10 years of experience minimum.

>Download a bunch of MW sourcecode to analyze
>Gee I can't make sense of any of this shit

And yeah I checked out Practical Malware Analysis and got only somewhat deep before it got too confusing. Was also reading some rootkit book but gave up 15 pages in when I realized I didn't know exactly how the kernel worked or know asm.

This area really seems too difficult to get into. At least subhumans like me can always read Xyltiol's blog or something
>>
>>51908062
>But I doubt many people on /g/ have an in-depth understanding of bytecode.

Are you calling us stoopid and saying we can only post thinkpad, GNU/Linux and haskell memes?
>>
Why the heck are you trying to re ollydbg it self?
>>
>>51908691
It's just a google image lol

Also bump
>>
>>51907307

>be me, 2002ish
>go to movie in San Francisco with friends
>trailer for Paycheck comes on
>"In the future... there will be... reverse engineers"
>as Ben Affleck appears.
>entire audience starts chuckling
>laughs harder once Ben Affleck is fully on-screen
>that was the day I knew I had found my people

Seriously, SF is the place to be in your 20s.
>>
>>51907307
>What are some good resources to learn from
tuts4you.com
>>
>>51907883
Disgusting casual detected.
>>
>>51909120
Lena's tutorials are pretty based.

Also why the fuck is everyone in this field Russian/some other type of Slav? What is the reasoning behind this?
>>
>>51909141
>Also why the fuck is everyone in this field Russian/some other type of Slav? What is the reasoning behind this?

Probably

1) The most economic opportunities for black hat stuff.

2) The worst opportunities for buying software legit from abroad, so they just hack past DRM.
>>
lena's tutorials is the first step
DeFixed>OllyDbg
Practice and read all night.
>>
>>51909162
I guess that's pretty obvious but why is it easily 80%+ of them being slavs?

Just seems really strange that it's so concentrated. Why isn't there more of it seen for example from Latin American countries or the middle east and such?
>>
>>51909217
Because there is (was) no software market in Russia and ex-Soviet republics. You could go to any market in Moscow and literally buy the newest AutoCAD for $3. Or pic related for $2 when it was new. I bought it over 10 years ago in Moscow. People just couldn't afford to pay more money for it and that's why there are so many slav crackers and re.
Same with HK and Chinese bootlegs. They tend to stick to themselves though.
>>
File: russian_freelancer.jpg (492 KB, 1632x918) Image search: [Google]
russian_freelancer.jpg
492 KB, 1632x918
>>51910347
>>
>>51909141
There's a lot of Russia, Slovenia, but also Scandinavian, English, German. It's partly to do with where the scene was concentrated back when we had to mail stuff to each other or call BBSes.

OP: +ORC, beginners.re and yes, IDA Pro and Ollydbg. There's a lot of newer tools but you want a solid grounding in the basics first before messing with the fancy new tools, because the things you want to analyse use techniques from the 80s and 90s that are likely to confuse tools not designed to work on heavily obfuscated code. Do some crackmes. You need deep knowledge of assembly language and familiarity with compilers (because you'll see their results). The dragon book may help there, old as it is.

Most importantly you need the persistence to seek knowledge yourself, to understand what is in front of you. That can't be taught.

I'm afraid I'm retired and don't teach personally anymore.
>>
How to 64 bit cracking. All i crackto and tutorials are 32 bit
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.