[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Lumias are cool
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 8
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (57 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
57 KB, 1280x720
>Bought Lumia 640
>Fluid as fuck
>Good selection of apps
>Good camera, despite being only 8mp
>But most importantly, you can download YouTube videos and play them with the screen off
Why nobody told me before that Windows is so cool?
>>
>>51906817
>good selection of apps
Stopped reading there.
>>
>>51906817
>good selection of apps
It's okay anon, you can lie with us but you don't have to lie to yourself.
>>
I just want a good old reliable phone to play music with. Does it have bluetooth?
>>
>>51906817
>>
>>51906817
You don't need a YouTube red subscription for playing music with the screen off?

Google has some weird business practices these days
>>
>>51906976
Nope, you have always been able to listen to whole playslists from youtube with screen off. And download yt vids for offline use
>>
>>51906817
Can't wait to get mine, but that will be next year.

By the Edge will have extensions and WP possibly some more apps so all will be golden.
>>
File: behindpost.gif (1 MB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
behindpost.gif
1 MB, 300x168
>>
>>51907033
With an unofficial app I presume, which both iOS and Android can do. Does the Windows Store even have an official yt app?
>>
>>51907269
It's barebones cuz goggle couldn't stand it was better than their own.

seriously.
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/appsblog/2013/aug/15/google-disables-windows-phone-youtube-app
>>
>>51907269
>With an unofficial app I presume
Yeah, it's called internet explorer.
>>
>>51906852
>tripfag

into the filter it goes
>>
>>51908148
Holy fuck are you serious?
They don't even have a YouTube app?
This is insane, no apps is even worse than I thought
>>
>>51906817
>Fluid as fuck
>Good selection of apps

That is some serious shilling. What is the point of being fluid if you can't switch between apps like on a normal smartphone.

>Good camera, despite being only 8mp

Having to use touch screen to take a picture is something that not even icucks are required to do. They could have used one of the volume rockers to activate the snapshot but noooo...

>>51906935

Yeah, but no cover art on lock screen. Sounds good though.
>>
>>51909786
>Yeah, but no cover art on lock screen
Thank god, cover art lock screen is the greatest cancer
>>
>>51908183
well there's plenty of apps ready to go like a youtube app. It was even released for a short time, but Google got anal blasted and forced microsoft to remove any and all google related apps. So google is refusing to release anything related to them on the windows phone store.
>>
I bought a Lumia 532 for almost nothing as an "in-between" phone. But I decided to keep it because its pretty damn good. Yeah the screen and camera is shit, but the rest is pretty damn good. 100% stable, never crashes, never locks up, plenty of speed and can run every single app in the app store (and as a plus it is built very sturdy and can resist plenty of punishment).

Best bang-for-the-buck phone I have ever owned.
>>
>>51906817
I just don't like not having a physical windows button.

I constantly get stuck viewing a picture and try to get to the touch screen only windows button without any luck. I'll literally be stuck in there for quite some time.
>>
File: WP_20151217_001.jpg (1 MB, 3088x1744) Image search: [Google]
WP_20151217_001.jpg
1 MB, 3088x1744
>>51906817
>good selection of apps

No. This is absolutely wrong.

I own a lumia 720 which I had to go back to because I accidentaly my second gen moto g and you have pretty much zero official support so you have to rely on shady, wonky at best half-assed third party solutions and a lot of the apps available are released and left to gather dust. You don't have basic shit such as push bullet, skype is irredeemably fucking disgraceful on microsoft's very own platform, NO local service apps whatsoever because nobody bothers making those for windows phone (I don't have any banking app I can use, whereas on android the apps were so good they were actually better than their website versions), no official Steam app with chat, no actual PSN app, youtube apps are all third party and shit, even apps for places such as 4chan and reddit are completely inferior in every conceivable way. And even though it appears smoother, every fucking time you're looking at a loading/resuming screen no matter the hardware. The only true positive is that I've yet to see screens more beautiful than the ones found in Windows Phones.

Windows Phone is basically a "no fun allowed" smartphone. Everytime you see a cool new service or whatever you can bet your ass there is no windows phone version. To properly enjoy this thing you have to have the most borderline dumbphone basic needs because as soon as you deviate a little from this path you'll face the phrase that WP users are most used to: "Available on Android/iOS".

The experience of going from windows phone to android feels like going from a prototype to the actual thing. It simply doesn't compare. January can't come fast enough when I'll just grab a z3 compact to get rid of this thing altogether. The Lumia 720 looks and feels sexy as hell in hand, but that's where its appeal starts and ends.

Pic related, photo I took from my dead moto g with my 720.

tl;dr windows phone a shit
>>
you know for a bunch of fucking fucklord cock penislovers that pride themselves on the ability of their OS for installing ROMS you faggots sure care much about official shit
>>
>>51906817
>Good selection of apps
don't forget to grab 4chin apps

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/apps/4chan-b-rowser/9nblggh16mjb

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/apps/imageboard-browser/9wzdncrcv64n

this one is read only but offers mass downloading of thread images
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/apps/sage-reader/9wzdncrcs4tk
>>
>>51907096
>2% market share
>"Advocacy is Judaism in disguise, no matter what!"
>>
>>51910204
a 720 hasn't even WP8 you bought and WP7 prolly with Mango update to WP7.5 or WP7.8

stop bashing around because you bought an outdated not updatable version of Windows
>>
>>51906817
i have this phone and i have no idea what you are talking about when you say "good selection of apps" but metrotube is pretty cash
>>
>Windows phone has no apps!
>Implying it's still 2010 when you first heard someone said that
>Parroting it 5 years later
>>
>>51910595

You aren't you a goddamn fucking retard. The lumia 720 has full 8.1 support you mong.
>>
>>51910649
Know what's the fucking joke about le no apps argument?

Most normalfags don't install apps. They cannot even use the store. I know people who sold their "smart"phones, because they didn't like the default music player app.

As long as the phone has a web browser, failbook, fagsapp, skype, viber, a music player, a photo app and a gallery, most normies are as happy as it gets.
>>
>>51906817
Windows phones are great for babbies that don't want to into all the advanced stuff you can do with Android. Not even being a dick I'd literally recommend them to tech illiterate friends, they just werk.

Android is objectively better though.
>>
>>51910595
all phones on the x20 line have WP8 you retard and they're all upgradeable to windows 10.

also I think some people forget that these old low end lumias have 512mb of ram, pit them against an android phone with 512mb of ram against it and you'll see the definition of buttwrecked. really not even worth comparing, and you'll have to fucking stupid not to see this. there's a reason to why the other guy compared it to a moto g.

oh, and just for the record, "resuming..." screens are pretty much non-existent on W10 on my lumia 535. not to mention animations being startling faster. just to shut up all of the android naysayers that have never even used a WP yet think they can talk shit about the OS.

dunno about 512mb of ram lumias but I guess you can't really blame microsoft if these phones end up being not all that fast on W10.
>>
>>51910885
go outside for a bit m8
>>
>>51910204
cant agree more. I really want to give windows phone 10 a chance but i just can't. The low selection of apps is such a killer. BASIC things like youtube and google maps are non existant and whatever first party apps there are they are forgotten and left in the dust. Skype is abysmal on microsofts own platform, rarely works and notifications suck ass. Whatsapp barely worked as well.
>>
>>51910885
I have a 635 with windows mobile 10 insider on it, and it works very well, at least as good as 8.1. They managed to reduce the "resuming" on 635 too to a certain extent (though you can get it while multitasking).
>>
>>51910862
This

Windows Phone is great for your mum or dad who are not tech savy and need a smart phone for email and light web browsing. The big icon tiles make it easy to see things as well.
>>
>>51908183
Youtube apps for wp are better than the official youtube app for android, you can download videos and play them offline.

>>51910204
Blame developers. its just like the problem that linux has, developers dont want to make programs for it (like adobe or autodesk programs) because its marketshare, and users dont want to use it because it has no programs.

>>51910862
>Android is objectively better though
yes, you can root and even run a full distro in them. but, windows phone just works™
>>
>>51910814
This is why I recommend WP to anyone over the age of 30 and anyone under who use their phone for daily use and don't really care about being hip.
>>
>>51910940

I didn't even know windows 10 was available for my phone, I'm actually surprised. Just got back to it yesterday after my moto g died. Well, at least I'm gonna have some fun with a new phone OS until I feel like killing myself until I buy the z3 compact next month.
>>
>Having Android
>Fixing root
>Fixing Xposed + Youtube background playback
>Have the same with Loomia
Who the fuck downloads the whole youtube clip?
>>
>>51906903
/thread
>>
>>51908175
I bought one too and I agree no apps
>>
Worth going from a Galaxy S3 to a Lumia 640? S3 is slowly breaking and I don't want to go Android again.
>>
>>51906817
>want to check battery capacity
>easy enough, let's just check out /sys/
Oh, wait...
>>
>>51913531
Sure. Tbh app selection isnt great but....

If google play music was on windows phone, i would use my 1020 and not this lg flex
>>
>>51913595
/sys/ has nothing to do with app selection, I am talking about standard fs stuff since android is of course Linux.

I run a few shell daemons that I wrote in 5 minutes to do shit android doesn't (like an actual sane fstrim approach). I assume wp has no power shell or cygwin, so...
>>
OGyoutube for android is better
>>
>>51913688
Not even close to any 3rd party WP YouTube app
>>
I have a lumia 640 and I just replaced it with an Alcatel Idol 3.

The idol 3 is significantly faster even though it's only a minor spec bump. Plus the 640 is a fucking brick. Also Clover.
>>
>>51909915
So no google maps either?
What a fucking disaster lol.
>>
>>51908183
There are youtube apps
the problem is that google changes some kind of shit on a weekly base and the app developers have to fix it otherwise the app wont work. blame google for their fucking buissned
>>
>>51906817
Been downloading videos off of YouTube and playing then with my screen locked for about a year on my HTC one m8 running android.
I have to admit my favorite phone was my lumia 900. Had the blue one and everyone was terrified when I pulled it out.
>>
My mom got a Lumia 950, work phone. That 1440p screen looks noice.
>>
I have a 640 too, miles better than my Galaxy Nexus. Best poverty phone ever. Every $60 Android phone is a piece of shit. Bought this off the MS store and unlocked it immediately.

Windows 10 Mobile isn't ready yet though, but long term I think it's a great move for MS. Many smaller devs are already seeing the benefits of having a universal app because it runs on so much shit once you have it made. Also I can play some mobile games on my computer and tablet if I need to.
>>
>>51915109
HERE maps is better anyways.
>>
>>51910940
That's Google's fault though, they want to make sure MS can't challenge them
>>
File: D I S C A R D E D.jpg (163 KB, 500x583) Image search: [Google]
D I S C A R D E D.jpg
163 KB, 500x583
>>51906817
>good selection of apps
>>
File: wp_ss_20151217_0001.png (47 KB, 720x430) Image search: [Google]
wp_ss_20151217_0001.png
47 KB, 720x430
>>51909953
Swipe up from the bottom of the screen or do what I did, picture related.
>>
>>51906817
this
>mum has lumia 520
>one night its rom just dies, boot error next morning, out of warranty
>buys lumia 535 for 90€ tax incl
>tfw i almost want it

for 90€ that shit is literally perfect, big, fast, stable, good camera, good screen (not beautiful but good enough).
if you have more than 200€ android is good, from 100 to 200 you may bet on chinkphones but under 150€ lumias are still perfect
>>
>>51916827
Its better in some regions only

>>51918188
yes, cheap windows phones dont lag like cheap androids.
>>
>>51918275
>yes, cheap windows phones dont lag like cheap androids.
How can it lag if there are no apps?
>>
I wonder why Android fags are always insecure with their platform of choice
>>
>>51908183
No OFFICIAL youtube app.
Tubecast is better than the official android app, for example.
>>
File: 2015-12-17_230045.png (208 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-17_230045.png
208 KB, 1920x1200
>>51909786
>if you can't switch between apps like on a normal smartphone.
But you can.

Also, does android let you project your phone on your computer screen and use it with the mouse?
>>
>>51910940
Whatsapp works just fine.
here are apps better than official youtube app, and the lack of official youtube app on wp is only google's fault.
Microsoft map app is on par with google if not better.
Can't say anything about skype, I don't use that shit.
>>
only thing stopping me getting 950xl is lack of apps
>>
>>51906817
>Good selection of apps
That and the parlous quality of the Windows 10 releases along with the cost of the 950 actually drove me away from Windows Phone. I'm on a cheap Android handset now and the difference is incredible, I'd forgotten what it was like to have a decent selection of apps.
>>
>>51909786
>can't switch between apps like on a normal smartphone
You press the app and it opens. You then press the home button, press another app and it opens, you then press the equivalent of the apps button (hold Home down) and you can flick through open apps, pressing on the one you want to switch to. I use iOS at work, Android at home now and had a Windows Phone til 2 weeks ago, the implementation is identical on all 3.
>>
>>51910560
I used 4charm and Imageboard Browser on my 930 but honestly the mobile website is miles better.
>>
>>51918300
yeah there's like literally zero apps on the store right kill yourself retard, also:

>he assumes that WP gets slower from installing apps like android does

LMAO androidfags are so transparent
>>
>>51918881
Oh you just replied to cancer, why don't you filter that cancerous faggot?
>>
I actually just bought a Lumia 640, too.
My thoughts so far:
Pros:
- screen resolution is pretty nice
- $50 with a student discount
Cons:
- it's too big. You can't comfortably use it with one hand, but 5" was the smallest Lumia I found, unless I went with a phone with lesser specs than my previous phone
- no dedicated camera button, so it takes two hands to operate the camera (one hand to hold the phone, and one hand to press press the on-screen capture button
- the camera quality is pretty mediocre
>>
I wish 4charm would let you post
>>
>>51918300
nice meme m8
>>
>>51918534
Yes, with my phone explorer.
>>
File: MPE.png (342 KB, 2460x1440) Image search: [Google]
MPE.png
342 KB, 2460x1440
>>51921871
>>
i really dont give a shit whether someone else uses windows phone but -- to me it's the superior mobile platform.

I don't use botnet shit like Fb, Instagram, Snapchat, etc. And i watch YouTube shit with no problem when i want to.

Again -- i really dont give a shit whether someone else uses windows phone or not.
>>
>owning a wincuck phone
>cortana listening to you fuck yourself in the ass with a dragon dildo
>>
Is it better than the S6?
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.